Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

old spar store on rose inn st

Options
  • 31-08-2013 10:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 572 ✭✭✭

anyone any idea what is going to open in there, seen reserved signs in the window this eve,

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭Silverscott

Did the spar not do good or what ? Thought it would do good near parade and castle etc. No real shop near either now except dunnes i suppose.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,191 ✭✭✭foxcoverteddy

You do have the small shop up near the multi story in Ormonde St, at least the spar shop looked busy, great pity it went as an ideal spot for both workers and tourists, the prices were down to earth.
    Dunnes, we know it is there, but would tourists. Of course it offers value for money for quickie buys and serious shoppers, it is of course truly Irish which is important.
    Come to think of it there is no signpost at the parade, unless you go down Keiron Street you would never know, equally Superquinn is no better advertised.
    Why the emphasis on tourists? Kilkenny lives on a tourist culture, in truth there isn't much else going for it as a shopping city, has it?
    The more popular McDonough becomes, the High street loses out to the locals, it is then reliant on tourists trade which of course is seasonal.
    Will Supervalu in Market Cross emulate Superquinn, would I put myself through the ordeal of parking when I can get in and out of Loughboy much easier?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,413 ✭✭✭✭road_high

Did the spar not do good or what ? Thought it would do good near parade and castle etc. No real shop near either now except dunnes i suppose.

Thought the same. Was always busy. Plus they invested a good bit in fitting it out. My guess is the rents are savage there.

• Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭kkhornet

The 3 year trial lease he had on the building was up and was only been offered to sign an 18 year lease. Busy and all as it was, cant blame him for not signing for that long.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,166 ✭✭✭Stereomaniac

Yeah, that is a pretty long time to be signing on for a lease. I would expect to see someone starting up another shop in there before too long though. It's a sure-fire money spinner I'd wager?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,092 ✭✭✭catbear

kkhornet wrote: »
    The 3 year trial lease he had on the building was up and was only been offered to sign an 18 year lease. Busy and all as it was, cant blame him for not signing for that long.
    That's greedy. Who'll want to set up there now even with a three lease if they know they'll have to renew for 18 years!

Do the owners pay any taxes while the unit is vacant because if they don't then they're effectively squatters on the state.

• Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭kkhornet

catbear wrote: »
    That's greedy. Who'll want to set up there now even with a three lease if they know they'll have to renew for 18 years!

Do the owners pay any taxes while the unit is vacant because if they don't then they're effectively squatters on the state.

Ive no idea man, Whoever moves in next probably wont be faced with a 3 or 18 year lease.
    I've heard tell of interested parties been offered a 5 year lease but it could just be hearsay

Down high st earlier I see they're fitting out a new spar store beside the tholsel. Great to see it, will do well there.

Open now...

Advertisement