Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Renting a two bedroom place and then finding a housemate

Options
  • 31-08-2013 10:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭

Would it be possible for me to rent a two bedroom place in Dublin and then find a housemate after I move in?

I'm currently working in Dublin but commuting from the midlands and looking to move up over the next few weeks. I'm having very little luck even getting many viewings of apartment-shares on daft, and was looking into the possibility of renting a two bedroom place (which I could afford to cover the entire rent for a month or so) and then finding a housemate to move in with me. I'm new to the rental world, so I'm wondering whether landlords would allow this (assuming they would have to approve of the potential tenant anyway) or if I'd be better off just biding my time looking for an apartment share.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,879 ✭✭✭D3PO

its not very advisable.

1) You may not find a housemate in that timeframe

and more importantly

2) You may not get permission to add a housemate by the agent / LL they do not have to allow you to have somebody else move in and if they don't your screwed.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,237 ✭✭✭✭djimi

D3PO wrote: »
    its not very advisable.

1) You may not find a housemate in that timeframe

and more importantly

2) You may not get permission to add a housemate by the agent / LL they do not have to allow you to have somebody else move in and if they don't your screwed.

I would echo this sentiment. You would need to square this off with the landlord in advance and get it in writing that it will be okay to add a second person to the lease at a later date (you could also ask to sublet which would effectively make you the other housemates landlord and them a lodger, but you would take sole responsibility for the tenancy). Even if you do this, there is no guarantee that you wont end up paying a couple of months rent on your own, or worse still taking potentially an unsuitable housemate in a panic as you cannot afford the rent on your own.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,375 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

If you are talking about city centre Dublin you should have a tenant within a week.
    Mention it to the agent. I doubt there will be an issue where you are taking sole responsibility.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,096 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Doubt there would be much of a problem tbh. I would like to share with one other person at most also, which is a pain in the ass to find.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,130 ✭✭✭The Apprentice

Sorry to jump on the thread - but it may help you out

Im looking around with the possiblity of moving to dublin, but with the preference of the Landlord Taking some form of Rent Allowance, as im hoping to do my masters and with a decent city centre location i would most definitely commit to a 2yr minimum contract.

Unfortunately i cannot find anywhere that does take RA as they automatically assume its a track suit wearing layabout. Would be interested in speaking with a view to moving if it helps pm me.

Thanks

• Advertisement
Advertisement