Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Help me I'm a FB.. Have Bike need help and encouragement

• 31-08-2013 10:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭

Right straight to the point. I'm 44 and 3-4 stone over where I should be an where I want to be. In an effort to turn my life and waistline around I've taken the plunge and together with my better half we bought a hybrid bike each and are now ready to hit the road. I now need some advice and where better to get it than on boards. In return for advice I will try and let you know how we get on through the trials and tribulations. I aim to get out on the bike a min of 3 days a week as a start.
    I need some help to put together a program of distance/duration of cycle which is both effective and achievable for two beginners. In terms of milestones I would like to understand what I should be aiming for in terms of 1 month, 3 months and 6 months time. Never cycled before to get fit and lose weight so I am at a loss where to start. All help appreciated.

Comments

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 77,932 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Try to make cycling part of your daily routine - is commuting by bike a realistic option? Start off with relatively short spind. Increase the frequency, length and intensity of your spins. Watch your diet - if you don't increase your calorie intake you will lose weight naturally as you build up the cycling

BTW I "came to" cycling later than you - bought my hybrid when I was 46 having done virtually no exercise since leaving school (and after major back problems), started commuting 23km each way building up from 1 day a week to being able to comfortably do it 5 days a week (with extended commutes many evenings).

I started off at around 20 stone and am now under 14. I converted to a road bike and started racing at the age of 49. I have definitely had a new lease of life on the back of taking up cycling.

Bottom line - the more you put into cycling the more you get out. If you really do dedicate yourself it can certainly be a life-changing experience. There are a few logs on here that can inspire you - a few examples:
    My busfare-saving log
    From Fat Couch Potato to who knows where

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,453 ✭✭✭TheBlaaMan

Dont expect too much weight to fall off quickly with cycling. You should get an fairly immediate small-moderate loss from the exercise, but it is more likely real weight loss will come about from you being more strict about calorie intake. I found that this flowed naturally from wanting to be more active and in a mood to get out on the bike, hence I cut out eating too much rubbish (but dont be a nazi about this....) and generally watching my diet. Avoid snacking between meals and don't eat anything after 9pm were good pieces of advise that I've tried to stick to...

Advertisement