Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

rifle

Options
  • 31-08-2013 10:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6

hi i am coming in to the market for a rifle is the any advice any one can give me on what to look out for in a rifle will be useing it for targets rabbits and fox's also if any one is selling one can you post here so i can have a look

thanks to all those who will post

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,082 ✭✭✭bravestar

Why calibre you thinking of?

• Registered Users Posts: 6 bliff90

bravestar wrote: »
    Why calibre you thinking of?

Thinking of some form of 22 some thing that's cheap on ammo but will shout in a straight line biggest thing I'll be going for would be foxs what would you recommend

• Registered Users Posts: 1,082 ✭✭✭bravestar

well if by .22, you mean .22lr, straight shooting is not gonna happen. They have quite a rainbow like trajectory. Also, if its primarily foxes your going for, you might want something with a bit more bang than .22lr.

It will get the job done, but its by no means the most humane or best tool for the job. Have a look at a .17HMR or a .223win. I personally have no experience with a 17HMR so im sure someone else can chime in. I use a .223.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 bliff90

bravestar wrote: »
    well if by .22, you mean .22lr, straight shooting is not gonna happen. They have quite a rainbow like trajectory. Also, if its primarily foxes your going for, you might want something with a bit more bang than .22lr.

It will get the job done, but its by no means the most humane or best tool for the job. Have a look at a .17HMR or a .223win. I personally have no experience with a 17HMR so im sure someone else can chime in. I use a .223.

Hi thanks for the info I guess a 22 then is out of the question then am not in letting them suffer. The .223 have you got any makes that you would stand by or that. Thanks mate appreciate the help

• Registered Users Posts: 855 ✭✭✭smokin ace

i started off with a cz .22 but got sick of it fairly quickly because of rabbits dragging themselves away and not being able to go after foxes so i traded it in for a marlin .17hmr and i love it i have taken mr foxy down well over 100 yards away no problem and its cheap enough to feed costing €15 for a box of 50 bullets so maybe the .17hmr might be a option for you to look at

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 418 ✭✭tomtucker81

22mag should be considered too.

• Registered Users Posts: 764 ✭✭✭hedzball

smokin ace wrote: »
    i started off with a cz .22 but got sick of it fairly quickly because of rabbits dragging themselves away and not being able to go after foxes

thats just poor shooting on your part, not the 22's fault.

'hdz

• Registered Users Posts: 788 ✭✭✭650gs

hedzball wrote: »

I agree .22 great ok the range might be down but I shoot bunnys and fox to 80 yards no prob at all with clean kills, its all about shot placement they will crawl away with a .223 too if you hit them in the ass.
    get yourself a .22 to start with get used to what you can do with it then think about moving up.
    The next thing I would do then is keep the .22 and pick up a .223 with a good scope rounds can be cheap too depending where you get them from around a tenner a box for 50 but good quality about 15euro

• Registered Users Posts: 855 ✭✭✭smokin ace

hedzball wrote: »

'hdz

maybe so because i was just starting off at the time but when i got the marlin my confidence and aiming skills greatly increased within a few days of been out with it but i can comfortably pick head shots at 150-160 yards very comfortably this might not seem brilliant to some lads but i am very happy with that

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭deano2882

22mag should be considered too.

was just gonna say that dont forget the magnum have a marlin .22wmr dnt have any bother droppin bunnys r foxes

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 345 ✭✭reniwren

got a . 17hmr during the week 9 rabbits and 2 foxes in the past 2 evening's I'd have more if I was any good.

• Registered Users Posts: 36 davediesel

Marlin xt17r in 17hmr for 320 euro is good value accurate package that's cheap to feed, wouldn't be without mine. Give Brian Duffy a shout in
    Galway

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭cushcam

i might get slated for this but i would also consider a .22 hornet. it's relatively flat shooting and well capable of busting foxes at 200 yards. the ammo can be pretty expensive but you could pick a nice accurate rifle for dirt cheap because it is not so popular anymore with the .223rem and .204ruger providing better bang for your buck when it comes to ammo and shooting flatter.

the biggest cons of it compared to the above mentioned calibres are a shorter useful range on quarry, increased bullet drop, cost of ammo nearly as expensive as more powerful rounds and the lack of resale value ( however with the introduction of the .17hornet in the usa and it making its way here in the near future that is likely to change )

pros: cost of buying the rifle, availability of second hand rifles, easier to license, quieter and less felt recoil

this is all just my opinion, i have a .22wmr .22hornet and .223rem so i'm not just suggesting it because i have one

Advertisement