Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

How much theory is different for motorbikes?

• 01-09-2013 1:56am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,515 ✭✭✭

Hey, so I've been driving car for about two years now, passed my theory and driving test in first try, I am 20.

Now I am thinking of also going for motorbike license, I was wondering about few things:

1) How much is theory for motorbikes different?

2) How much different insurance will be?
    Right now I am driving bmw e46, 1.9, I am 20 and I am paying 2500 For insurance, how much different to that would motorbike insurance be?

3) Are you allowed to park bikes on pavements? or where do people usually park them? (I need to learn theory rules relating to parking)

Thank You.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,499 ✭✭✭RosieJoe

arleitiss wrote: »
    Hey, so I've been driving car for about two years now, passed my theory and driving test in first try, I am 20.

Now I am thinking of also going for motorbike license, I was wondering about few things:

1) How much is theory for motorbikes different?

2) How much different insurance will be?
    Right now I am driving bmw e46, 1.9, I am 20 and I am paying 2500 For insurance, how much different to that would motorbike insurance be?

3) Are you allowed to park bikes on pavements? or where do people usually park them? (I need to learn theory rules relating to parking)

Thank You.

The theory test for the bike is going to be different alright. Basically it is the car one plus bike specific information on top of it. Once you have the car one it should be easy enough for you to learn and pass the bike test. There'll be extras like road positioning, life savers, bike controls etc

Answer to your insurance question is like answering how long is a piece of something! If you are going for a sports bike it'll cost you. Have a look at the insurance quote sticky to see what others are paying.

Every time I'm in the city centre I park on the path, more often to lock the bike to a pole. Just make sure it is not obstructing anything. Be warned though, there's a small chance you can get a ticket. In Dublin you are not allowed park your bike in a pay and display space.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,265 ✭✭✭..Brian..

Is there anywhere we can get a list of the motorbike specific questions of the theory test? Is the ISM mock theory test accurate? Don't want to pay €40 to the RSA for the book!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,499 ✭✭✭RosieJoe

..Brian.. wrote: »
    Is there anywhere we can get a list of the motorbike specific questions of the theory test? Is the ISM mock theory test accurate? Don't want to pay €40 to the RSA for the book!

Get yourself down to the library and rent out a copy of the book.

No idea where you'd get the full list but at a guess the ISM mock test will not be comprehensive

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,031 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

RosieJoe wrote: »
    Get yourself down to the library and rent out a copy of the book.

No idea where you'd get the full list but at a guess the ISM mock test will not be comprehensive

All the questions are supposed to be from the current DTTS/RSA theory test book. You can also get the CD/DVD from the library and IIRC that has practice questions.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,265 ✭✭✭..Brian..

..Brian.. wrote: »

Just in case anyone one else is wondering, there's a free android app with everything on it. All questions for all categories and a mock test facility.

• Advertisement
Advertisement