Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Averege of Cosin

Options
  • 01-09-2013 8:35am
    Registered Users Posts: 19

Dear mathmeticas,

how can I take average of cos(x)^2 over sphere?...

not to (0,2 pi) interval, but sphere

:confused:
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 427 ✭✭sigmundv

What do you mean by average in this case? How is the problem formulated?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 1,849 Mod ✭✭✭✭Michael Collins

But [latex] \cos^2(x) [/latex] appears to be a function of one real variable, with the domain being the real line, so your question can't be answered. You'd need to describe a function which has a surface as a domain, preferably defined in terms of a polar and azimuth angle, i.e.

[latex] \displaystyle (\theta, \phi) \mapsto f(\theta, \phi) [/latex],

then, as sigmundv says a defintion of average would be helpful, although if I had to guess I'd imagine you mean the standard average which is the answer to the question: what constant function would integrate to the same value over the same domain.

• Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭ray giraffe

A poorly defined question, typical of a poor lecturer.

I believe x is intended to be the polar angle [latex]\theta[/latex]. (If x is the azimuth angle [latex]\varphi[/latex], then it's much easier!)

[latex] \frac{ \displaystyle \int_{S} f(\theta,\varphi) \, \mathrm{d}S_r }{\displaystyle \int_{S} (1) \, \mathrm{d}S_r } [/latex]
    =
    [latex] \displaystyle \frac{ \displaystyle \int_{\varphi=0}^{2 \pi} \int_{\theta=0}^{\pi} f(\theta,\varphi) \, r^2 \sin \theta \,\mathrm{d}\theta\ \mathrm{d}\varphi}{\displaystyle \int_{\varphi=0}^{2 \pi}\int_{\theta=0}^{\pi} (1) \, r^2 \sin \theta \, \mathrm{d}\theta\ \mathrm{d}\varphi} [/latex]
    =
    [latex]\displaystyle \frac{\displaystyle \int_{\varphi=0}^{2 \pi} \int_{\theta=0}^{\pi} (\cos^2 \theta) \, \sin \theta \, \mathrm{d}\theta\ \mathrm{d}\varphi}{\displaystyle \int_{\varphi=0}^{2 \pi} \int_{\theta=0}^{\pi} (1) \, \sin \theta \, \mathrm{d}\theta\ \mathrm{d}\varphi}[/latex]
    =
    [latex]\displaystyle \frac{\displaystyle \int_{\theta=0}^{\pi} (\cos^2 \theta) \, \sin \theta \, \mathrm{d}\theta\ }{\displaystyle \int_{\theta=0}^{\pi} (1) \, \sin \theta \, \mathrm{d}\theta\ }[/latex]

We are 'weighting' the function [latex]\cos^2 \theta[/latex] by the 'amount' of surface at polar angle [latex]\theta[/latex], which is proportional to [latex]\sin(\theta)[/latex].

• Registered Users Posts: 1,595 ✭✭✭MathsManiac

A poorly defined question, typical of a poor lecturer.

...or perhaps typical of a student who thinks they are telling us what they were asked to do but are actually giving us an "edited" or otherwise mangled version of what they were asked to do!

• Registered Users Posts: 427 ✭✭sigmundv

...or perhaps typical of a student who thinks they are telling us what they were asked to do but are actually giving us an "edited" or otherwise mangled version of what they were asked to do!
    I believe this to be the case to be honest!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭ray giraffe

You're right, it could well be the student's fault.

But I had a professor in college who gave us poorly-defined questions like that pretty often. It was a pain in the a**.

Maybe he was so used to conversing at a high level with other professors who were able to interpret him. Or maybe just lazy.

Advertisement