Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mega Man Creator Announces Mighty No. 9

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 55,517 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

I've read a few critical comments about the delay, saying that it's mainly a single player game and they should release that now if it's ready.

The multiplayer is an afterthought - they should patch that into the game in a month or two when it's ready.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭gizmo

Mr E wrote: »
    I've read a few critical comments about the delay, saying that it's mainly a single player game and they should release that now if it's ready.

The multiplayer is an afterthought - they should patch that into the game in a month or two when it's ready.
    The above mode and online co-op were stretch goals from the Kickstarter. They could be referred to as an afterthought but if they shipped without them they'd be criticised for it.

Then again, they're being criticised regardless so go figure. :o

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,410 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I'd say it's a bit more complicated than that. It's probably something they need to have in for certification. If they don't have it in they will have to pay to be certified twice. Sounds like they used a third party solution that was dropped by the developer and they've got to source code it by themselves due to updates to firmware updates on console since then.

The joys of working on a confined system.

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    I'd say it's a bit more complicated than that. It's probably something they need to have in for certification. If they don't have it in they will have to pay to be certified twice. Sounds like they used a third party solution that was dropped by the developer and they've got to source code it by themselves due to updates to firmware updates on console since then.

The joys of working on a confined system.
    Inafune's comments appear to be referring to UE3 rather than any third party networking solution. You're quite right on the certification issue though. While the fees were supposedly lowered by the platform holders in the last number of years, they're still launching on eight platforms, excluding the handheld port work being carried out by the external companies, that wouldn't be exactly cheap. :o

Is this one of the worst game trailers ever made?
    Look at those downvotes...

• Advertisement

And that right there is why you don't let your publisher have final say on marketing materials.

Jesus, the last one was bad enough, curious lack of downvotes aside, but talk about not understanding your audience. :o

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,410 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I was hoping that was a joke.wow, that is so embarassing. It's like the money men decide to talk to the bellends behind the dark souls 3 t shirts and make a trailer. Memes 4 loife!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,707 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

• Registered Users Posts: 10,870 ✭✭✭✭Generic Dreadhead

This has cheered me up this morning :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭SeantheMan

Started to read it...they didn't sugar coat it...the first sentence...
    Mighty No. 9 is one of the most hateful experiences we’ve had playing a game

Well that was incredibly poorly written and the author seems to just not able to copy with games that actually dare to kill the player. As for control issues, the pre release version I played controlled like a dream and my only concern was the part I played was a bit bland and hoped it wasn't like that for the rest of the game. I was assured it was only the tutorial stage.

Still a bit apprehensive but that review really isn't great.

Eurogamer piece up http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2016-06-20-mighty-no-9-review

Don't think they mentioned any of the technical issues the other one did, maybe they played a patched version :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 18,707 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

Eurogamer piece up http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2016-06-20-mighty-no-9-review

Don't think they mentioned any of the technical issues the other one did, maybe they played a patched version :confused:

The thing with bugs is, not everyone experiences the same ones.

Wait for other sites'/players' reviews if you're on the fence about buying.
    Or just download if you backed and send it to your Steam Backlog.

Eurogamer review seems a lot more positive and thankfully better written.

The disjointed level design they mention was a worry for me. It was a problem with Gunvolt as well, another Inti Creates game. Pity because Megaman levels were traditionally very tightly designed.

Thats 2 now that mention frame rate issues :(

It will be interesting to see what Jeremy Parish says at USgamer, nobody knows Megaman better than him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,944 ✭✭✭✭Links234

Reading Laura Kate Dale's review on the Jimquisition, and getting a good chuckle out of it.
    Much like an anime fan on prom night, I would rather be at home playing Mega Man than here.

But to be completely honest, it doesn't look that bad at all, and I get the feeling that people are lashing out at the game because of how Inafune started a Kickstarter for Red Ash before MN9 was even out, that spoiling a lot of the goodwill people had for the project. People are angry with it for all sorts of reasons, and I find it curious how for example it's a problem that the 2.5D artstyle differs from the original 2D concept art, but Bloodstained: Ritual of the Night gets a pass in that regard, yet both games were fairly open in their Kickstarter campaigns that the concept art wasn't going to be representative of the finished product and that 2.5D was what they were going to be doing. The main difference I can tell is that Igarashi didn't try to start another Kickstarter.

So it's interesting to me to see this unfold, and I wonder how much of the criticism is justified, and how much of it is spite. Because judging by the sheer overreaction to that anime fan line, and that's coming from someone who is more than a bit of an anime fan, a lot of people really want to see this game fail.

Looks like the gaming equivalent of this year's Ghostbusters movie.

• Advertisement

I can't see where a lot of the negative criticism is coming from. What I played the controls were excellent and it was smooth and responsive. My only worry was the lacking stage design.

Stupid region restrictions mean we aren't getting the game until the European release date but American's are getting it today.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

I got my EU key for PSN this morning, haven't had a chance to try and redeem it, but guessing it won't work until PSN updates

• Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭Doodleking

So today is the release date!!!! SO???????any reviews??????

I've been watching a good bit of this on Twitch. I think it looks pretty good. Not sure if there is longevity there but the game looks pretty fun. The way ratings are going on Steam (mixed at the moment), I think this will be discounted soon enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,142 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

Been curious about this for a while now, will it be coming out for 3ds anytime as a retail edition over here or just in the eshop?

I've been watching a good bit of this on Twitch. I think it looks pretty good. Not sure if there is longevity there but the game looks pretty fun. The way ratings are going on Steam (mixed at the moment), I think this will be discounted soon enough.

Seems to be tailored for speed running and score attack so should do well with streamers. A lot of the negativity seems just to be aimed at how badly handled the kickstarter campaign was.

Middling usgamer review... I was reminded I funded this for 75 euro.

http://www.usgamer.net/articles/mighty-no-9-xbox-one-review-mighty-no-no

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

tried to enter my EU code tonight, it's invalid, actually checked the EU release date and it's Friday :pac:

• Advertisement

Yeah it's ridiculous to lock it out considering its digital.

My other Kickstarters better turn out better! Come on La Mulana 2!

Advertisement