Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mega Man Creator Announces Mighty No. 9

Options
124»

Comments

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Middling usgamer review... I was reminded I funded this for 75 euro.

http://www.usgamer.net/articles/mighty-no-9-xbox-one-review-mighty-no-no

I'd would have called it worse than a middling review. I will play it and make up my own mind though.

Did we see anything of Red Ash at E3? They were aiming for 2017 release which I doubt will happen. That failed to meet kickstarter goal but was funded else where.

The other question is how much did ReCore affect Mighty No. 9's development and it ReCore, given it's a mere 3 months away from release??? How big a studio are Comcept :confused:

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,410 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Comcept don't do development, they get third parties to do the heavy lifting. There's two completely different studios working on Recore and Mighty No. 9 so I'd say very little.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,410 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Had a quick go there and you know what, it's not that bad.

It suffers from the same thing Ducktales remake does where there is far too much talking about a plot that doesn't matter. However the controls are excellent and the level design isn't a bad as I feared.

It's not the amazing game it should have been but it's hardly the trainwreck it's being made out to be (PC version so I didn't suffer the performance issues of other formats).

Graphically it's very weak, there's some texture work here that would look appalling in a PS2 game.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,707 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

• Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭Doodleking

They were aiming for 2017 release which I doubt will happen.

July, 2017 the exact date, right?

• Advertisement

Doodleking wrote: »
    July, 2017 the exact date, right?

Thats what they are aiming for but given the delays with mighty no. 9 I expect the same for Red Ash.

Not sure what to expect now in terms of quality, there is/was a lot of animosity towards it after the kickstarter for it blew up in their faces.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

was finally able to sit down and play this over the weekend. it's not as bad as I thought after reading the reviews but my word the frame rate issues on the ice level specifically is horrendous. I had to switch it off.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,747 ✭✭✭✭wes

Got the PC version, and the game is ok. As a backer I am not too disappointed, as they did actually get the game out there, which is far better than other kick starters.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,944 ✭✭✭✭Links234

wes wrote: »
    Got the PC version, and the game is ok. As a backer I am not too disappointed, as they did actually get the game out there, which is far better than other kick starters.

What, like Darkest Dungeon, Undertale, FTL, Satellite Reign, Divinity: Original Sin, Grim Dawn, Hyper Light Drifter, Hard West, Armello, Stasis, Wasteland 2, Escapists, Pillars of Eternity, Sunless Sea, The Red Solstice, The Fall, Shadowrun Returns, Banner Saga, Tabletop Simulator, Hand of Fate, Shovel Knight, Elite: Dangerous, Convoy, Jotun, War for the Overworld, and absolutely loads more? There's this perception that funded kickstarter projects overwhelmingly fail, but it's actually the exception, most are successful and deliver on their goals.

Here's an interesting report from last year; 12% of Video Game Kickstarter Campaigns Fail to Deliver. That's lower than even I expected, considering some high profile disasters. This is especially interesting because of how "fail to deliver" is defined, as it doesn't just mean a game that is dead, but includes a disappointment with the end product as a failure in this definition.
    Defining a ‘failure to deliver’ as backers either never expecting to get what they paid for or receiving a reward they felt was different to that which they were promised,

Yet why is it that so many people seem to think that most kickstarter projects fail? I think it's that unless there's some big news (Bloodstained and it's unbelievable five and a half million funding) or big drama (looking at you Red Ash), then people either don't know or have forgotten that a game was crowdfunded. I'm sure some people reading this comment will be a little surprised at some of the games I've mentioned above, wondering, was Undertale a kickstarter game? Yes, it was. A lot of people don't seem to know that Chivalry was an early kickstarter success. The thing is, these titles get known for being good games, not for being crowdfunded. Being a failure however, gets you known for being a kickstarter game. A shame, isn't it?

But really, Mighty No. 9 isn't notable for being released, being better than nothing isn't an achievement for a kickstarter game, it places it firmly in that 12% if people are disappointed with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 83,224 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

you forgot Void Destroyer and Energy Hook

Haven't played much of it but the cutscenes are bleh, the challenge mode is slapped together but enjoyable, and as said the level design just doesn't have that same crisp oomph that any of the Megaman levels ever did. Makes you wonder if it was really Capcom that killed the franchise's spark, or if it was actually Infaune moving in a different direction for real. I will still enjoy the heck out of the game, but I don't think it could live up to its expectations.

• Advertisement

It seems Inti Creates had very little to do with the development of the game which would make sense considering how wide of the mark this game is compared to the classic Megaman games they developed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,944 ✭✭✭✭Links234

Overheal wrote: »
    you forgot Void Destroyer and Energy Hook

And Risk of Rain, Race The Sun, Contagion, Dreadout, Xenonauts, Chroma Squad, Superhot, and so very, very many more, but we'd be here all day if we wanted to list every good Kickstarter game. Yes, I didn't mention Read Only Memories, shush now! Point is, for some reason people only seem to take notice that a game was crowdfunded if it was a disaster, but really, by a gigantic margin kickstarter delivers. Some of the best games I've played in the last few years have been kickstarted, and most of the games I'm looking forward to have been also, such as We Happy Few, or Harebrained's upcoming Battletech, and Torment: Tides of Numenera

• Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭Doodleking

I'm kinda dissapointed, many ideas we already saw in Mega Man games before. The only new thing for me that now you can play through the levels in any order you like

• Registered Users Posts: 10,870 ✭✭✭✭Generic Dreadhead

Doodleking wrote: »
    I'm kinda dissapointed, many ideas we already saw in Mega Man games before. The only new thing for me that now you can play through the levels in any order you like

Wasn't that a thing in like every decent legacy MM game?

Cormac... wrote: »
    Wasn't that a thing in like every decent legacy MM game?

So much so that Megaman was the first game to do it!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,707 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

Great video form SSFF

• Registered Users Posts: 4,909 ✭✭✭nix

Is this game really that bad? Its going pretty cheap in the sales (€12) and im tempted. But if its utter **** ill save my money... :eek:

Advertisement