Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Getting electricity turned on for the first time.

Options
  • 01-09-2013 10:10am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 446 ✭✭

Hi

We have gone sale agreed on a house that was never lived since being build (aprox 6 years ago). And have to get the electricity turned on for (I assume) the first time. Would anybody have an idea on what’s involved and how much the process would cost? It’s a 3 bed semi-detached in an estate and houses either side are lived in. Buying this from receiver so site electrician is long gone.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 431 ✭✭Diggerdunne

i think you will need to get the elec installation certified by a registered elec contractor. i'm not sure if they can certify someone else's work? It's all up in the air at the moment. The ESBN will want a valid cert before they will give you power....
    how much this will cost i cant say.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 446 ✭✭Devi

ok thanks for your reply.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,594 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

i think you will need to get the elec installation certified by a registered elec contractor.
    +1
    i'm not sure if they can certify someone else's work?

This can be done when it is not possible to get a completion certificate from the original electrical contractor. Phone the ECSSA or RECI and they will explain the procedure.

• Registered Users Posts: 378 ✭✭frankmul

Would the installation have been tested as the is people living next door. If there is a meter installed, ring the ESB with your meter number. They might be able to sort thing out.

I havnt actually got the keys yet, I'm just trying to work out budgets atm. It is possible it has been certified by site electrician already but I assume it would be out of date. Visually everything looks perfect though. I've read somewhere before that if the meter hasn't been connected in two years you have to supply the ESB with plans ect

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,745 ✭✭✭meercat

Your best bet is to contact Esbn directly
    They may want to treat this as a new connection and charge accordingly (€1800)
    You will need a cert(check if site electrician is still working)ask neighbours for copy of their cert and get his name off that or open next doors meter cabinet and get his details off the sealing tag.
    If the electrician is no longer trading you can get permission of Reci or eccsa get another contractor to certify.
    You need to speak to Esbn asap though to get your costings and a MPRN number as a cert can't be issued without one.
    Post back with updates as this will help others in the future.

meercat wrote: »
    Your best bet is to contact Esbn directly
    They may want to treat this as a new connection and charge accordingly (€1800)
    You will need a cert(check if site electrician is still working)ask neighbours for copy of their cert and get his name off that or open next doors meter cabinet and get his details off the sealing tag.
    If the electrician is no longer trading you can get permission of Reci or eccsa get another contractor to certify.
    You need to speak to Esbn asap though to get your costings and a MPRN number as a cert can't be issued without one.
    Post back with updates as this will help others in the future.

Wow €1800, didnt budget for that. Yea, wil do, thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭mr.stonewall

Devi wrote: »
    Wow €1800, didnt budget for that. Yea, wil do, thanks.

Paid €1816 for connection in August just gone if its a help

Talked to a girl from ESB networks who said that although the MPRN had been terminated they may not charge the full price due to the fact that all the physical work had been done already but I don’t know, the rules seem pretty clear to me, over 2 years = new connection in their eyes. What was your situation Mr Stonewall? How much did the electrician charge for the cert?

Advertisement