Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Hardest Part of being Vegan/Veg?

Options
  • 01-09-2013 11:04am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭

Hey hey,

I wanted to start a thread about areas that people might find awkward or hard about a vegan lifestyle. There are some obvious ones, like people being ignorant or having to answer the same questions over and over, Lack of resources?, Eating out?

Personally the only area that's annoying me at the moment is footwear, I can't seem to find and any decent ethical footwear.

Anyone else?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,405 ✭✭✭Dandelion6

I would find it impossible to be vegan in Ireland (managed it for several years in New York) for two reasons:

1) Lack of vegan options in most restaurants

2) No decent vegan cheese anywhere, that I've found.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,453 ✭✭✭Shenshen

Eating out.

It constantly bugs the life out of me if I go to a restaurant with friends and they have 10 meat dishes to choose from, while my choice is soggy pasta with tomato sauce.

"Eat or don't eat" is not a choice, dear restaurant owners and chefs!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭Zombienosh

Shenshen wrote: »
    Eating out.

It constantly bugs the life out of me if I go to a restaurant with friends and they have 10 meat dishes to choose from, while my choice is soggy pasta with tomato sauce.

I hear that, I've found the worst restaurants to be the most surprising sometimes, I've gone into really fancy ones and the only option is some pasta :(

• Registered Users Posts: 16,975 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Shenshen wrote: »
    Eating out.

I'm sure you understand that it is purely supply and demand.
    You won't find too many halal or kosher choices in restaurants either. Why? Lack of demand is why. If a larger portion of the population were vegan that would change - it would have to.

You follow a minority lifestyle, it is to be expected really.

Having said that, any decent chef should be able to whip up something specially for somebody with any reasonable dietary restrictions.

I don't expect them go out of their way or anything just surprised they didn't have any more options, I've been to cheaper places and they have loads. Are more vegans what some people call "Working Class" as opposed to "Upper Class"**

** Note I hate those terms, but feel they are best used to try to explain my point.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,975 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Zombienosh wrote: »
    Are more vegans what some people call "Working Class" as opposed to "Upper Class"**

** Note I hate those terms, but feel they are best used to try to explain my point.

I would suspect that the opposite is true.
    At the very least I'd suspect that vegans have a higher level of education that the average which would be related to class.
    Maybe not an above average income, though.

(all just speculation)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,092 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

I don't expect them go out of their way or anything just surprised they didn't have any more options, I've been to cheaper places and they have loads. Are more vegans what some people call "Working Class" as opposed to "Upper Class"**

Ireland is a bit backwards in it's meat and potatoes tbh, plenty of places in other countries in a city of this size. Most poeple don't even know what things I eat even are. Even simple things like quinoa are a wonder to people.

If you ring up places beforehand they can usually whip something better up, just let them know. For instance mulligans grocers and kavanaghs did fantastic vegan food when I simply emailed them that day. Same can be said of most places I'd guess, can you not stir your friends towards places with vegan options?

I would suspect that the opposite is true.
    At the very least I'd suspect that vegans have a higher level of education that the average which would be related to class.
    Maybe not an above average income, though.

(all just speculation)
    Yes I imagine that is true, more educated, affluent and so on. This is why veg*ans score higher on IQ tests.
    It goes both ways, they can also be the most poor.

I hear that, I've found the worst restaurants to be the most surprising sometimes, I've gone into really fancy ones and the only option is some pasta :(

Or risotto :(

• Registered Users Posts: 9,453 ✭✭✭Shenshen

I'm sure you understand that it is purely supply and demand.
    You won't find too many halal or kosher choices in restaurants either. Why? Lack of demand is why. If a larger portion of the population were vegan that would change - it would have to.

You follow a minority lifestyle, it is to be expected really.

Having said that, any decent chef should be able to whip up something specially for somebody with any reasonable dietary restrictions.

I think that's not the full picture you're painting.
    When I get to pick the restaurant to go to I make sure in advance they have decent veggie options. And if they do - hey presto - nearly half my omnivore friends are likely to order vegetarian as well.
    I find that many people don't really care if they've got meat on their plate or not, they just want a nice, tasty dish.

But many "chefs" seem to consider meat the one and only food of choice, and can't seem to grasp the idea of a meal without - "Ah, shure, some pasta'll do".

What really bugs me sometimes is watching cooking programs, Saturday Morning Kitchen on the BBC, for example. I remember once sometime before christmas someone ringing in asking for ideas of what to prepare for a vegetarian for christmas, since one of her invited guests didn't eat meat.
    4 acclaimed chefs proceeded to rave about how to decently prepare a turkey, and how Brussel sprouts are soooo much better with a bit of bacon, and after about 10 minutes one of them turns to the camera with a sigh and says "But if they absolutely HAVE to have no meat, I suppose you could make them some grilled aubergines".
    I was fuming, to say the least.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,228 ✭✭✭Breezer

Personally the only area that's annoying me at the moment is footwear, I can't seem to find and any decent ethical footwear.
    http://vegetarian-shoes.co.uk - I've been using them for years, great company!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

I don't know where ye live but three great veg places to wat in Cork.

Cafe paradiso - one of the best restuarants in cork, happens to be veggie.
    Iyers - indian veg place. Does a lot of vegan.
    Quay co-op. more of a veggie cafe, but tasty!

I'm not even a vegetarian, but eat in all of those. Yumyum.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,850 ✭✭✭FouxDaFaFa

Eating out can be hard. The amount of restaurants that have one token "sad vegetarian" option for the same price as the meat dishes.

So many awful veg burgers or cheesy pasta.

(Cheesy pasta can be nice but a bit of ingenuity would be nice).

There's a vegetarian head-chef at a restaurant in Galway (Vina Mara) and you can tell because the veg dishes have actual thought put into them.

Or the resturants/takeaways that have, say veggie burgers, but cook them on the grill beside the meat burgers with the same utensils, etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,205 ✭✭✭Benny_Cake

Ordering in a restaurant and when the waiter arrives with the food they put the non-veggie option in front of me and my vegetarian order in front of herself. Am I any less of a man!? :)

That hasn't happened too often, so lack of choice when eating out has been an issue, definitely. Don't get me wrong, I like cheese, but drowning cannelloni in it really doesn't appeal to me much.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,981 ✭✭✭[-0-]

Gas.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,772 ✭✭✭toomevara

Benny_Cake wrote: »
    Ordering in a restaurant and when the waiter arrives with the food they put the non-veggie option in front of me and my vegetarian order in front of herself. Am I any less of a man!? :)

So true, happens me all the time. I'd say the single hardest part about being vegetarian is the.."Oh your vegetarian, whys that then?" question, which gets repeated ad-nauseum...cue tiresome oft-repeated discussion."is it that you don't like meat or is it an ethical thing?" It's not so bad over here in the UK where vegetarianism has gone mainstream, but when I go back to Ireland its very, very annoying...

• Registered Users Posts: 11,028 ✭✭✭✭--LOS--

Hey hey,

I wanted to start a thread about areas that people might find awkward or hard about a vegan lifestyle. There are some obvious ones, like people being ignorant or having to answer the same questions over and over, Lack of resources?, Eating out?

Anyone else?

I think it's hard to be in a minority of any kind, not just with veganism but with other areas of my life too, sometimes I just think to myself why do you have to be so damn different haha. The key to survival is surrounding yourself with similar people, so other vegans or vegetarians, then you're not a weirdo anymore and it's great. And also just being informed. In Dublin I didn't find it hard at all, I would mostly only go to places I knew for sure I could get vegan food, having a veggie bf helps big time (back to survival tip number 1 :D ). I'm in Amsterdam now and I am finding it a bit harder just because even though it has more eating out choices, when I go to the supermarket none of the ingredients are in english so I have to scrutinise everything, I'm just not familiar enough with that kind of thing yet, also with where I can get what I need. Right now I've been trying to track down some vegan cheese. Whenever I'm eating out here and I say no cheese, they're like 'are you sure?'. They really love cheese :/ Something else I'm finding hard at the minute, I'm trying to buy a bag and they nearly always have some leather, all the nice ones anyway, so annoying. Hmm what else...... henna hair dye is so much effort to use.

Actually I find animal issues can be quite awkward. The other day I got an email from our faculty at the university saying we have mice in the building. Then what followed was a series of emails back and forth making light of the situation with mention about donating them down the hall for their experiments etc. While this is obviously in jest, I would have to assume those mice are going to get killed in traps anyway. I kind of don't know what to do in a situation like that. I want to step up and say where are they, I will help remove them, but I don't really know if that's my place. Another thing, there are a lot of wild rabbits around here, many of whom suffer from myxomatosis. So what is the option, leave them to die, they are wild rabbits, or call an animal rescue organisation and they will be put down. In my building a lot of people were complaining about tiny flies in the apartments, the kind that hang around the bin. So lots of people were buying stuff to kill them, and you want to say please don't do that or try to give them an alternative, but don't really feel like you can. Does anyone else have any feedback on that kind of stuff? I always feel like I really lack in that area.

Were there any particular kind of shoes you were looking for? I find asos good because they have a search option for non-leather, they're affordable and I've got some nice boots on there.

good thread idea :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 108 ✭✭Mooby

Hardest parts - eating out and veggie shoes.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 surfdudette

Here is another good place for vegan footwear in case anyone is interested: http://www.freerangers.co.uk/

I have ordered from them a few times, very comfy shoes.

I have trouble finding good vegan runners, I guess I'll stick to a couple of canvas style shoes, like cons etc.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,092 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Wouldn't most runners be vegan no?

• Advertisement

Most of the ones I used to get were leather/suede.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,694 ✭✭✭BMJD

I have trouble finding good vegan runners, I guess I'll stick to a couple of canvas style shoes, like cons etc.

Brooks runners are excellent and vegan-friendly

http://brooksrunning.co.uk/run_happy_en.html

http://www.peta.org/living/fashion/vegan-running-shoes.aspx

• Registered Users Posts: 2,759 ✭✭✭Killer_banana

Eating out without planning. I don't eat out much and when I do I normally check the menu beforehand and, although it hasn't happened yet (only been vegan less than a year and very rarely eat out) if there wasn't anything I could eat I'd ring ahead and ask if they could make me something. I don't mind doing all that but a college friend decided, last minute, yesterday to have a dinner in the training restaurant for her birthday and I couldn't go since the vegetarian option for the night had dairy in it. I had expected that to be the case but was still rubbish to miss out on her birthday celebrations (as well as nice meal for a fiver).
    FouxDaFaFa wrote: »
    There's a vegetarian head-chef at a restaurant in Galway (Vina Mara) and you can tell because the veg dishes have actual thought put into them.

Never knew this about Vina Mara. Now if only I could afford to eat there...
    toomevara wrote: »
    "Oh your vegetarian, whys that then?" question, which gets repeated ad-nauseum...cue tiresome oft-repeated discussion."is it that you don't like meat or is it an ethical thing?"

I don't get this question all that much myself. Mind you I'm vegan so people might just assume it's ethical right off the bat. I do get a lot of questions in general but I like that, discussion is always welcome. I think I'm just lucky with the friends I have though in so far as,even those opposed it, don't just me for it and get that it's my decision and doesn't really affect them.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,850 ✭✭✭FouxDaFaFa

Never knew this about Vina Mara. Now if only I could afford to eat there...
    10e meal deals during the week iirc.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,759 ✭✭✭Killer_banana

FouxDaFaFa wrote: »
    10e meal deals during the week iirc.
    You would be right. :eek: I'd only ever seen the dinner prices not the lunch. Not that's is hugely expesnive, I'm just poor.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,634 ✭✭✭TooManyDogs

The hardest thing for me is the questions and comments

I hate the "oh you're vegetarian, well we have a salmon option....." :mad: Or the "but you eat fish right?"
    Since when was fish not an animal???

When they find out my hubby is vegetarian and we're raising a veggie child is when they ask "do you think it's fair to make your hubby be vegetarian?" Hubby knows where the kitchen is....
    and the one that really kills me is being told that it's not fair on my child to raise her veggie, one man actually asked me if I thought it was right to 'do that to her'!!!!

When people assume I feed my dogs a vegetarian diet and without asking what I feed them, they start berating me for making my dogs be vegetarian.

Or when they start justifying why they eat meat, or how they were vegetarian for 5 weeks and why they couldn't stick to it. I don't care what anyone else eats, my beliefs are that as humans are omnivores we have a choice what we put into our bodies, I choose not to eat meat but I don't believe I've a right to comment on what other people's choices are.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,303 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

I hate the "oh you're vegetarian, well we have a salmon option....." :mad: Or the "but you eat fish right?"
    Since when was fish not an animal???
    I agree with you that is a ridiculous suggestion, but imo vegetarians* are to blame. i'm using the term loosely, I mean the people who say such things as "i'm a vegetarian, but I eat fish".
    We all know that it's an oxymoron, and the correct phrase is Pescetarian, but I can safely say that in the real world (outside of the internet) that heard phrases like that used more than pescetarian, and its not close.
    and the one that really kills me is being told that it's not fair on my child to raise her veggie, one man actually asked me if I thought it was right to 'do that to her'!!!!
    Serious questions. How old is your child now?
    At what point do they have there own say, if they wanted to widen their food options, would you start buying meat for them?
    I'm not trying to be snide or anything. It's something that I've often wondered about. Obviously its awkward growing up a veggie in a meat eating household. But I've wondered if there are people in the opposite situation, who need to use their own pans, and utensils etc.
    I don't care what anyone else eats, my beliefs are that as humans are omnivores we have a choice what we put into our bodies, I choose not to eat meat but I don't believe I've a right to comment on what other people's choices are.
    +1

Or when they start justifying why they eat meat, or how they were vegetarian for 5 weeks and why they couldn't stick to it. I don't care what anyone else eats, my beliefs are that as humans are omnivores we have a choice what we put into our bodies, I choose not to eat meat but I don't believe I've a right to comment on what other people's choices are.

THIS. I don't understand why vegetarians are always accused of being self-righteous or preachy about our diet. Literally EVERY argument I have EVER had about the subject has been started by a non-vegetarian demanding I justify my food choices.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,634 ✭✭✭TooManyDogs

Mellor wrote: »
    imo vegetarians* are to blame. i'm using the term loosely, I mean the people who say such things as "i'm a vegetarian, but I eat fish".
    We all know that it's an oxymoron, and the correct phrase is Pescetarian, but I can safely say that in the real world (outside of the internet) that heard phrases like that used more than pescetarian, and its not close.
    I agree. I do think this idea that Catholic Church forbid people to eat meat on a friday but you could eat fish has fish firmly categorised as not meat in most people's minds. My sister in law used to do the 'vegetarian but I eat fish' routine until I pointed out how hard it makes things for me. Now she describes herself as a fussy eater :D The term Vegetarian was unheard of 50 years ago but now it's common place, Pescetarian could be the same if people would only use it correctly.

Mellor wrote: »
    Serious questions. How old is your child now?
    At what point do they have there own say, if they wanted to widen their food options, would you start buying meat for them?
    I'm not trying to be snide or anything. It's something that I've often wondered about. Obviously its awkward growing up a veggie in a meat eating household. But I've wondered if there are people in the opposite situation, who need to use their own pans, and utensils etc.
    She's 3. And being honest it's a bit of a 'we'll fall off that bridge when we come to it' :o She sees other people eating meat, we have pizza night every saturday night and her uncle has pepperoni on his pizza. I'm trying to get her to understand that it's a choice people make so not to make comment on other people's food choices but at the same time at 3 it's not really a choice I want her making. She hasn't asked to try meat yet though so it hasn't really become an issue but I guess my fear is that if she did want to eat meat then there'd be a difficulty with diet balance. At the moment the household eats a balanced vegetarian diet, but the smell of cooking meat makes me physically ill so cooking meat at home isn't going to be an option so that leaves an unbalanced omnivorous diet which isn't what I want either. I also don't want her eating the likes of sausages, hot dogs, burgers and chicken nuggets so you're back to cooking meat at home and varying it. If she's old enough to be able to cook for herself than that's a different matter but it's going to mean co-ordinating the cooking so there's no meat cooking smell when I'm getting the other dinner ready.

In short, I'm delighted she hasn't asked yet :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 108 ✭✭Mooby

I agree. I do think this idea that Catholic Church forbid people to eat meat on a friday but you could eat fish has fish firmly categorised as not meat in most people's minds. My sister in law used to do the 'vegetarian but I eat fish' routine until I pointed out how hard it makes things for me. Now she describes herself as a fussy eater :D The term Vegetarian was unheard of 50 years ago but now it's common place, Pescetarian could be the same if people would only use it correctly.

She's 3. And being honest it's a bit of a 'we'll fall off that bridge when we come to it' :o She sees other people eating meat, we have pizza night every saturday night and her uncle has pepperoni on his pizza. I'm trying to get her to understand that it's a choice people make so not to make comment on other people's food choices but at the same time at 3 it's not really a choice I want her making. She hasn't asked to try meat yet though so it hasn't really become an issue but I guess my fear is that if she did want to eat meat then there'd be a difficulty with diet balance. At the moment the household eats a balanced vegetarian diet, but the smell of cooking meat makes me physically ill so cooking meat at home isn't going to be an option so that leaves an unbalanced omnivorous diet which isn't what I want either. I also don't want her eating the likes of sausages, hot dogs, burgers and chicken nuggets so you're back to cooking meat at home and varying it. If she's old enough to be able to cook for herself than that's a different matter but it's going to mean co-ordinating the cooking so there's no meat cooking smell when I'm getting the other dinner ready.

In short, I'm delighted she hasn't asked yet :D

Hiya, I have two kids that have grown up veggie (14 and 6) and have never wanted to try meat. They both eat quite well and are very healthy. We must have had discussions about it at some point about why we don't eat animals but I can't remember ever sitting down to formally cover the topic. They are both quite strict about their diets and I'd be surprised if they decided to eat meat as adults.

Advertisement