Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Hardest Part of being Vegan/Veg?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,634 ✭✭✭TooManyDogs

I do think it will be interesting to see what way she wants her diet to be when she's older.
    I was pondering it over the last while, the 'at what age does she get to exercise her choice' aspect and it occurred to me that if she did eat meat that the question simply wouldn't come up, if she asked at the age of 3 not to eat any meat at all it simply wouldn't be a choice that would be considered by the majority of parents feeding an omnivorous diet, the majority of children would be told that they could become vegetarian etc when they can cook for themselves. It's only because my girl is vegetarian, and not the 'norm' that other people expect me to simply let her eat meat the very first time she asks no matter her age, even though they would not consider a similar request from their own similarly aged child to not eat meat or whatever. Interesting.

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭freethink3r

I don't eat out a lot at restaurants, so that doesn't affect me too much. But I find most of the really tasty vegan substitutes cost way too much. Of course, if you don't buy them they'll remain "specialty items" and the price won't go down, but all the same I can barely afford to eat. I bought little pieces of chicken the other day that cost a fiver. You could buy a whole chicken at a deli for that.

Oh, and people thinking you're nuts or eat "rabbit food", or that you're doing it to be skinny.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,001 ✭✭✭p1akuw47h5r3it

The hardest part of being veg or me is trying to square the fact that I don't eat meat from any animals, but I still wear clothes that contain leather and other animal products. It's a bit contradictory.

Guess I'm just gonna have to try to stop doing it!

• Registered Users Posts: 8 puffThis

Source of protein, that's the main issue among vegetarian and the most difficult to attain. A veggie with good protein diet as well.

puffThis wrote: »
    Source of protein, that's the main issue among vegetarian and the most difficult to attain. A veggie with good protein diet as well.

Really? Very easy to find veggie food that have protein and good quality protein at that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 39,303 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

DanDan6592 wrote: »
    Really? Very easy to find veggie food that have protein and good quality protein at that.
    "Easy to find" is a bit subjective. It would also depend on your target amount of protein. 1g/lb bodyweight is a common target.
    Even if you don;t find it difficult, you can't really argue with the fact that a veggie has far less options for protein sources.

The protein quality is a bit vague also. Theres' the whole soy issue. In general plant protein sources are said to be less complete than animal based ones, on the flip side a varied diet could possible even that out. But not everyone is aware of that, so I certainly wouldn't call it easy.

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭Donaldio

Being in a minority definitely and haveing to deal with culture shock (weirdest atitudess ever) Like you are freak or something really unbelievable !

Mellor wrote: »
    "Easy to find" is a bit subjective. It would also depend on your target amount of protein. 1g/lb bodyweight is a common target.
    Even if you don;t find it difficult, you can't really argue with the fact that a veggie has far less options for protein sources.

The protein quality is a bit vague also. Theres' the whole soy issue. In general plant protein sources are said to be less complete than animal based ones, on the flip side a varied diet could possible even that out. But not everyone is aware of that, so I certainly wouldn't call it easy.

I'd hardly call it the hardest part of being vegetarian though. No point getting into a silly debate over it anyway :)

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭freethink3r

DanDan6592 wrote: »
    I'd hardly call it the hardest part of being vegetarian though. No point getting into a silly debate over it anyway :)

I can't name any other foods off-hand, but quinoa is a complete protein. I read that, like you said, a varied diet sorts that out. Supposedly, all plant based foods have varying amounts of amino acids in them, and some have such-and-such amino acid that another food doesn't, but that it doesn't matter if you eat a few different foods to make up all the amino acids - your body doesn't care if it's all in the one food, it just takes them all and "converts" them, if you know what I mean. So long as you get all those amino acids, it wouldn't matter. Not totally sure and I could be wrong though.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,092 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Yes you just need to get them all, you don't need to protein combine or any of that nonsense

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,047 ✭✭✭Pippy1976

Tom's do ethical footwear and I'm a huge fan. They have a vegan range too.

http://www.toms.com/womens/collections/vegan/c?view=all
    Zombienosh wrote: »
    Hey hey,

I wanted to start a thread about areas that people might find awkward or hard about a vegan lifestyle. There are some obvious ones, like people being ignorant or having to answer the same questions over and over, Lack of resources?, Eating out?

Personally the only area that's annoying me at the moment is footwear, I can't seem to find and any decent ethical footwear.

Anyone else?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,463 ✭✭✭loveisdivine

I like the look of Toms but I read that in general they only last about 3-4 months before they start falling apart. Is this true? They seem a bit expensive for something that only lasts a few months.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,047 ✭✭✭Pippy1976

Untrue. Whoever told you that might be walking the Camino de Santiago on a daily basis!

They're so comfortable. I'd highly recommend. They've started other lines aswell, not just the original Toms but wedges and Nepal boots too.
    I like the look of Toms but I read that in general they only last about 3-4 months before they start falling apart. Is this true? They seem a bit expensive for something that only lasts a few months.

Pippy1976 wrote: »
    Untrue. Whoever told you that might be walking the Camino de Santiago on a daily basis!

They're so comfortable. I'd highly recommend. They've started other lines aswell, not just the original Toms but wedges and Nepal boots too.

For blokes there is Macbeth's footwear:

http://macbethshop.com/

Advertisement