Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Laser hair removal at home

• 01-09-2013 11:18am
    Registered Users Posts: 332 ✭✭

Does anyone use or recommend any if the at-home hair removal tools like Philips Lumea? They cost about e400 and have gotten better reviews than I'd expect elsewhere. The reason I'm tempted by at home rather than salon treatment is my very low pain threshold - if using it myself, I could take breaks or do a smaller area at a time, etc. But it would be a pricey experiment so I'd like to hear your views. Does it work? Does it hurt? Am I better off just choosing a salon and if so which (I'm in Dublin).

Also I know you can't use on tanned skin but does anyone know about using near freckles (all old and there for years)?

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 338 ✭✭KGLady

I have just gotten the Gillette Venus one but haven't had time to do much with it yet beyond a test patch on my legs and trying it on the upper lip. Planning to do my legs with it in the coming week and I can give updates as I do the treatments.

So far it hasn't hurt at all on the small patches I've done (legs was highest setting, lip was lowest and neither hurt at all) and it seems really easy to use, it remains to be seen if it tests my patience badly when doing my full legs :p The test patch area has sparser slower hair growth already but its really not enough to judge properly.

In terms of research I did on pricing, I bought online via Pixmania and saved ~160 v's the price of it in boots. Himself bought it for me reckoning with the amount I spend on veet and waxing appointments in the long run it has the potential to be a money saver.

As for the freckles/tan, the Venus one has a sensor which you place on the area of skin and it will light up if its suitable or not and then when replaced on the unit sets the correct strength automatically. I'd say have a google of the Lumea to find details of suitability of skin areas.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,065 ✭✭✭Miaireland

I bought the philips lumea last week but have yet to try it. I had seen it at €500 plus in some shops but was able to get it for under €400 via philips on amazon.co.uk

I will post when I try it out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,264 ✭✭✭mood

I'm also interested in hearing reviews :)

• Registered Users Posts: 332 ✭✭fiona-f

Thanks all for your replies, I'm sitting here rooting for you both to get going with your new tools so I can learn from your efforts!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 338 ✭✭KGLady

Update: Update Venus Naked Skin

Not a huge amount to update from me as yet, as I'm just not finding the time to do a full session with the ipl machine, such is life with three small kids! However the places I have used it so far are all showing an immediate reduction. Upper lip is showing minimal regrowth, tbh I haven't touched it since the last post and its still fine.

I did one lower leg a few weeks ago before having to stop as the baby finished her nap, so in a way its proven interesting to see the regrowth on a treated area v's one thats left undone, and its a marked difference even after one session. Large areas are not showing any regrowth at all and the places which are, its slower and lighter than the untreated gorilla leg ;)

As for using it, it needs a gel which needs a decent coating but that means its easy to see where the window has been placed and onwards to the next spot. I also kept a lip pencil handy to mark out areas on my ankle and knee and that helped, but still its a slow process. Going to try to do the two legs some evening this week and I'll update again.

And from a point of info on type: I've very fair skin and very black hair (very Irish lol!) and it is so far suiting me brilliantly.

• Advertisement
Advertisement