Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

HMV are back :D

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,752 ✭✭✭pablomakaveli

corcaigh07 wrote: »
    Dang, the one in Cork is the best one. Did any shop move in there yet, it's a quality location.

Golden Discs are in there now. They're only using the ground floor of the building though and don't sell any games so it looks like Gamestops monopoly on Patrick Street will continue for a while unfortunately.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,170 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Are HMV selling Wii U stuff or have they decided not to bother?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭penev10

Just back from Henry St and the downstairs games section was sealed off as a band were playing down there (great idea lads :rolleyes:) so I couldn't check for any second-hand bargains. The full price games on display upstairs were all 50-55.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,575 ✭✭✭NTMK

Golden Discs are in there now. They're only using the ground floor of the building though and don't sell any games so it looks like Gamestops monopoly on Patrick Street will continue for a while unfortunately.

how the **** did golden discs afford the lease and Golden Disc are still around?:confused: i thought they died off long ago

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,656 ✭✭✭C14N

NTMK wrote: »
    how the **** did golden discs afford the lease and Golden Disc are still around?:confused: i thought they died off long ago

I was wondering the same thing. How are Golden Discs still surviving? I mean HMV had busy stores, a large selection and competitive pricing and they still went under. Golden Discs are the opposite, their stores are usually deserted, their prices are dreadful (usually €15+ for CD, €50+ for a game, last time I was in a GD I actually saw a 2-year old FIFA at this price) and they have very little selection. Is there some kind of billionaire keeping these open just to mess with us like in this:

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,634 ✭✭✭✭Richard Dower

CastorTroy wrote: »

probably all voucher owners tryna get their money back.......

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,202 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

Or people getting wristbands for the strypes gig?

gmisk wrote: »
    Or people getting wristbands for the strypes gig?

nah, disgrunteled former customers how got ripped off......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

I think it's a massive gesture, & great PR that they're accepting vouchers issued by the previous owners. Because of that, I'll be able to use the voucher I have sitting here since last xmas, & will be very likely to try & shop there where possible. All the talk of folks getting ripped off belongs in the past, new owners now, so their making the only gesture than can be asked of them & one they didn't have to...kudos to them I say

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

It's a different company now, what happened back then has nothing to do with the current owners. Be an utterly pointless exercise complaining about something that had nothing to do with the current management.

A few places here took old vouchers in place of drinks and meals and stuff, if they held onto those they'll have a small fortune in vouchers

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,835 ✭✭✭✭cloud493

I literally didn't even know golden discs sold games. One in swords doesn't.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 55,521 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

I'd say a lot of people binned their vouchers when HMV closed originally, so it's a calculated risk (and as a previous poster said, good PR) that a much smaller number have them lying around in drawers.

Mr E wrote: »
    I'd say a lot of people binned their vouchers when HMV closed originally, so it's a calculated risk (and as a previous poster said, good PR) that a much smaller number have them lying around in drawers.

Did you check out the Cresent yet?....any good deals?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 55,521 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

See earlier post (14 above this one)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,939 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Mr E wrote: »
    I'd say a lot of people binned their vouchers when HMV closed originally.
    I had mine until about a week before they announced they were re-opening..

.. d'oh!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,541 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Very, very, very limited games selection - certainly no niche releases or major bargains to be found (except Splinter Cell for some reason, if that floats your boat). 49.99-54.99 is the standard, which is at least a little cheaper than GameStop (although Tomb Raider was still at 54.99). None of the big discounts HMV was best for, although I believe there is some legal restriction on when a shop can have a sale (has to have been on sale for a higher price for a month or something).

At the moment, there's nothing spectacular at all - actually underwhelming even by the lower standards of the last while before closing. They deserve a bit of a chance though - the effects will take a while to filter through, to see if the renewed competition does indeed see overall price decreases.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 293 ✭✭TT09

Anyone with vouchers have to fill out form on hmv.ie then they have to send the voucher by registered post to their address in tallaght.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,113 ✭✭✭shruikan2553

robbe wrote: »
    Anyone been in yet? Looking for a PS3 500 gb - any deals going?

Not HMV but xtravision had one for 200 euro in galway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,417 ✭✭✭corcaigh07

How the hell did that happen? Golden Discs are dreadful. An awful waste of the second floor as well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,752 ✭✭✭pablomakaveli

corcaigh07 wrote: »
    How the hell did that happen? Golden Discs are dreadful. An awful waste of the second floor as well.

I know. They used to have a shop on Patrick Street near Brown Thomas but they closed it years ago and moved into Merchants Quay. They've always had a poor selection with really overpriced stuff. Had a look around in there a couple of weeks ago when i was home and i couldn't believe what they were charging for stuff.

It was my first time looking in Gamestop since both Game and HMV closed last year and they're prices were outrageous now as well.

It's a real shame that there's so little good options for buying games now in Cork city centre.:(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,943 ✭✭✭Burning Eclipse

EnterNow wrote: »
    I think it's a massive gesture, & great PR that they're accepting vouchers issued by the previous owners. Because of that, I'll be able to use the voucher I have sitting here since last xmas, & will be very likely to try & shop there where possible. All the talk of folks getting ripped off belongs in the past, new owners now, so their making the only gesture than can be asked of them & one they didn't have to...kudos to them I say

Same as man. I have €125 in vouchers. The news that the new owners were going to accept those vouchers was like a 2nd Christmas to me. And made sure that I feel very favourably towards the new HMV now!!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,508 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

CastorTroy wrote: »

Great to see! :)

Anyone think they'll still take One-for-All vouchers?

• Registered Users Posts: 35 airgilbert

Anyone know if Blacklist is still €35? Or was that yesterday only? Thanks.

I am just shocked Golden Discs still exists!!

• Registered Users Posts: 291 ✭✭Biffo The Bare

A used CD section Like in Amoeba in Los Angeles is something that they should try. The used CD section in Amoeba is what is actually keeping them afloat. Dump the Hi tech racks and put in a few used cd racks.
    I wont go there for anything less.

A used CD section Like in Amoeba in Los Angeles is something that they should try. The used CD section in Amoeba is what is actually keeping them afloat. Dump the Hi tech racks and put in a few used cd racks.
    I wont go there for anything less.

Used CDs is a bit of an iffy territory to get into though. People talk about used games being bad but at least there's some motivation to not trade in a game since you might want to play it again. Everyone knows how to rip CDs though so it's pretty easy to just buy a CD, rip it and then turn around and trade it in the same day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

Very, very, very limited games selection - certainly no niche releases or major bargains to be found (except Splinter Cell for some reason, if that floats your boat). 49.99-54.99 is the standard, which is at least a little cheaper than GameStop (although Tomb Raider was still at 54.99). None of the big discounts HMV was best for, although I believe there is some legal restriction on when a shop can have a sale (has to have been on sale for a higher price for a month or something).

At the moment, there's nothing spectacular at all - actually underwhelming even by the lower standards of the last while before closing. They deserve a bit of a chance though - the effects will take a while to filter through, to see if the renewed competition does indeed see overall price decreases.

28 days as far as I remember. Their October and July sales used to always be good, many a payday was ruined by me buying a pile of stuff already on the cheap and getting a 30% staff discount on top of that, good times.

Hopefully they'll get more into games and it'll stop Gamestops's ludicrous pricing of late.

• Registered Users Posts: 25 liddypool

saw the henry st. manager interviewed on the 6 news last friday saying they re-hired 70% of their former employees and that he himself had been there for 13 years.whatever about the ordinary staff, who I always found to be clueless and unengaging why would any business rehire a manager who helped run the place into the ground in the first place. as for their prices 2 dvds for €12,the beatles love cd which has been out for years €25.99 and €11.99 for the new Strypes cd doesn't seem competitive to me.(they were the only prices i could make out on the telly)after the novelty of seeing HMV back wears off in a week or two and consumers see it's just the same old same old they will buy cheaper online.HMV might make it through Christmas but come January I wouldn't be surprised if they have to close again,this time for good.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,835 ✭✭✭✭cloud493

Gotta be said, I wasn't terribly impressed yesterday. The games section was pretty poor altogether.

Advertisement