Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

HMV are back :D

12346»

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,634 ✭✭✭✭Richard Dower

NTMK wrote: »
    They did in the UK in april/may

lol at your faith in people, you've clearly never worked in retail. the same people who "stuck it to the man" were the same people who decided it was ok to hurl a torrent of abuse towards staff that hadnt been paid in what 5/6 weeks.

They had no one else to vent at...its the same as the guy with sh**ty broadband venting at some operator on the phone. thats part and parcel of the service industry.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,634 ✭✭✭✭Richard Dower

Then why repeatedly imply that you weer personally affected and took matters into your own hands. To quote your own post

"we're" as in us....Irish people. I consider myself an Irish person and consumer.

They had no one else to vent at...its the same as the guy with sh**ty broadband venting at some operator on the phone. thats part and parcel of the service industry.

Why didn't they pick up the phone and ring head office? The last time I was in HMV was just before the doors shut and the level of abuse I saw directed at staff was disgusting. Some of the nastiest, most vile insults were being used. I even got a torrent of abuse from some scumbag because I was purchasing items. Was told by one intellectual giant that I was "betraying the memory of all those that died getting rid of the British bastards."

"we're" as in us....Irish people. I consider myself an Irish person and consumer.

I think the fact that most Irish people view those who walked out with items as thieving scum kinda implies that it's not really a we or us so much as a tiny select few.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,983 ✭✭✭mystic86

What the heck is this thread all about? In the games section?! Mods - Is this not more appropriate talk for consumer issues or somewhere?

• Advertisement

mystic86 wrote: »
    What the heck is this thread all about? In the games section?! Mods - Is this not more appropriate talk for consumer issues or somewhere?

Just because it's in the games section does not mean that we have to specifically discuss only games related stuff.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

I can't believe people are still giving out about the gift cards. There are new owners now, they didn't have to honor the old gift cards, but they chose to do it. Great, fair dues, happy days, I can finally use my gift card! But jeez, let the disaster that plagued the old owners & gift card holders go, it happened, it's done, leave it be.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,656 ✭✭✭C14N

Kirby wrote: »
    Laws change and fluctuate but fairness and morality is a constant.

Nothing could be further from the truth. Morality fluctuates more than anything else and that's the reason laws exist. Right here on this topic you have people with adamantly differing morality on the subject and the same people can even change their own stance on a subject at a later date.
    It wasnt stealing, :rolleyes: .....they had fecking giftcards to the value of the stock they took. I'd say only a small handful took more then the giftcard value.

If 10 year old Jonny got a 30 euro giftcard off his uncle...was in floods of tears, uncle Jim marched down to HMV and picked up *** game worth 30 quid...slapped the voucher on the counter and walked out.

That was the typical scenario.....not scumbags taking hundreads in stock for a tenner giftcard :rolleyes:
    HMV think Irish people are theives then?....people are not stupid, they knew if they took more then the value of the giftcard that was theft. They could be imprisoned for that.

People took giftcard value only knowing *if* it went to court no jury would convict them.

You say all of this stuff with a certainty that you simply cannot have. Unless you had a group of people standing at the doors of HMV in the country to check what everyone was taking and checking their gift cards, you're basically making this stuff up out of wishful thinking. Sure, why do we have cash registers at all? People could just pop on in to any shop, take what they want and leave the correct money in a box. They wouldn't do otherwise because then they might go to jail right?

Even if 95+% of people had their calculators with them and were careful to check the value of what they were buying against the money left on the gift cards, HMV would still have to close down to stop it. They had no way of knowing what stock was going and no way of tracking which debts to write off.
    When everything was settled they would honour them?....lol, people didnt belive HMV and rightly so!....there is NO evidence if HMV went out of recievership they would or HAD to under receivership laws honour giftcards.

How could that possibly be "rightly so"? They are now honouring them, is that not enough evidence for you? It's pretty easy to look back and say that everyone who took the law into their own hands was wrong because if they had waited, HMV would in fact have honoured the vouchers.

So if you're angry about something and can't do anything to find the person responsible, it's completely acceptable to just take it out on an innocent bystander? If all the HMVs closed and a man with a giftcard couldn't find staff to abuse, could he get pissed at his family instead because, gosh darn it, a man needs someone to vent at?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,170 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Something very familiar about this thread
    tumblr_mexied0M4W1qm38fso1_500.gif

So how is HMV now? Much change in prices or are they still similar prices with some discounts around the place? I remember in Derry I would usually just get dvd offers. Don't think the game offers were that good.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,835 ✭✭✭✭cloud493

Some of those pre owned games prices, goddamn thats good. Nino kuni for 25 notes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,180 ✭✭✭EyeSight

CastorTroy wrote: »
    Something very familiar about this thread
    tumblr_mexied0M4W1qm38fso1_500.gif

So how is HMV now? Much change in prices or are they still similar prices with some discounts around the place? I remember in Derry I would usually just get dvd offers. Don't think the game offers were that good.

i find they are about the same as Gamestop now. Pre-owned games are better, but not as good as HMV classic

EyeSight wrote: »
    i find they are about the same as Gamestop now. Pre-owned games are better, but not as good as HMV classic

Give it a couple of months and prices should fall. You can't open a stirs and instantly have sale prices, you need to trade at a certain price for 28 days before dropping the price.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

Why didn't they pick up the phone and ring head office? The last time I was in HMV was just before the doors shut and the level of abuse I saw directed at staff was disgusting. Some of the nastiest, most vile insults were being used. I even got a torrent of abuse from some scumbag because I was purchasing items. Was told by one intellectual giant that I was "betraying the memory of all those that died getting rid of the British bastards."

It sounds like your opinion on the matter is not based on an intellectual or ethical level....and more to do with the fact that you are annoyed at some guy who took issue with you in a store. ......and that makes them all scumbags for some reason.

That story explains alot to be honest.

Kirby wrote: »
    It sounds like your opinion on the matter is not based on an intellectual or ethical level....and more to do with the fact that you are annoyed at some guy who took issue with you in a store. ......and that makes them all scumbags for some reason.

That story explains alot to be honest.

Not at all. My opinion is based on the facts at hand. Honestly couldn't care what anyone says to or about me. And I certainly don't get annoyed by a strangers opining of me, especially not one who tries to imply that the HMV situation was somehow related or similiar to Ireland's fight for independence . The way that some people reacted to HMV and the gift voucher situation was way over the top. Abusing staff, stealing and then trying to justify it by saying they were sticking it to the man. Was utter nonsense and the behavoir of scumbags.

The only people who suffered were the staff and those of us who recognised that with HMV gone amazon and gamestop would jack up their prices. Took both companies all of a day to increase the cost of pretty much every CD, film and game they sold

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,113 ✭✭✭shruikan2553

HMV are now in Galway again with xtravision. Went in there today and as expected sales are HMV and rentals are xtravision. Only new difference is a few signs and 3 blu rays for 20 euro. Saw halo 4 for 39 euro when it was 35 in HMV before they closed down. They may take awhile to get closer to what HMV used to be but for now they might as well just be xtravision.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,341 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Yep they're running off the Xtra-Vision systems and pricing - you even need an Xtra-Vision card to trade in games now. So it's the same prices they had and the bargains we used to get in HMV are gone.

HMV are now in Galway again with xtravision. Went in there today and as expected sales are HMV and rentals are xtravision. Only new difference is a few signs and 3 blu rays for 20 euro. Saw halo 4 for 39 euro when it was 35 in HMV before they closed down. They may take awhile to get closer to what HMV used to be but for now they might as well just be xtravision.

To be fair they have expanded their blu-ray selection, lowered the price of pretty much all DVDs and Blu-Rays and even thrown in quite a few left field releases. Granted it's a sad imitation of the old HMV but it's a start and things can only get better.

Yep they're running off the Xtra-Vision systems and pricing - you even need an Xtra-Vision card to trade in games now. So it's the same prices they had and the bargains we used to get in HMV are gone.

Friend of mine who is not a member had no issue trading in a number of games earlier today. Prices have came down quite a bit in recent months and pricing in store will reflect the larger HMV stores.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,835 ✭✭✭✭cloud493

Better than just having gamestop and symths :)

• Registered Users Posts: 266 ✭✭sky23

where is that the xtra vision store ? must check it out next time i'm in galway

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,469 ✭✭✭✭GTR63

Got a text from Xtravision the weekend saying that HMV was opening there.
    How was the Boxset selection twas quite poor when I was there a few months back.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,113 ✭✭✭shruikan2553

sky23 wrote: »
    where is that the xtra vision store ? must check it out next time i'm in galway

No idea where that link came from, it showed up exactly like that when I clicked quote, but thats where it is, the shopping center with tesco and its in the outside part of the building.

EDIT: The linked doesn't show up for some reason outside of when I'm typing.

GTR63 wrote: »
    Got a text from Xtravision the weekend saying that HMV was opening there.
    How was the Boxset selection twas quite poor when I was there a few months back.

They had a decent sized collection, not sure of the quality though.

Advertisement