Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Replacing Phone Lines

Options
  • 01-09-2013 11:42am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭

Hi all.

I've been having problems with my lines at home, I'm pretty sure they need replacing as the noise margin is all over the place.

Where does one go to get them replaced and any idea of an estimate of cost? It's about 10-15 feet of line I'm looking for. The cables at the moment are almost 30 years old. These days are people using better cables? For broadband etc?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 682 ✭✭✭Xantia

Hi,
    Identify where the telephone line enters your building.
    That is the demarcation point between you and your provider.

Is there a socket there or is it a junction box?

You can get approved telephone cables (CW1308) 1, 2 or 3 pair now in most supermarkets along with the RJ11 connectors.

If you already have an RJ11 socket at the entrance point then you could get away with the flat cord that you can buy with the connectors again in a supermarket like Dunnes or Tesco.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,295 ✭✭✭pizzahead77

Normally the lead between your phone socket and the router should be as short as possible and then run an ethernet cable from the router to the PC etc (which can be up to 100 m)

Have you tried connecting the router to the phone socket with a shorter cable first to see if the noise margin improves.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭Zombienosh

I've tried different cables, The way it's wired up at the front door has me confused, There are no connectors as such it's just individual wires I can only see, green/whites and blue/whites or your 3 and 5 wires if it were a 568 wiring system.

If it is one phone line coming in then you will have only one pair of wires being used.

It is normally the blue pairs that are used.

They are not polarity conscious.

It looks like you have a British Telecom Connection ????

Then you will have the blue pair going to 3 & 5

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭Zombienosh

It's a mess tbh, There are a load of old wires going all over the place and I don't know whats what. I've called someone to come have a look.
    I would like to give it a go myself but it just seems like such a mess at the moment from old lines etc. I'm gonna have him strip away everything and simplify it.

• Advertisement

Good Idea with all the mess.

Advertisement