Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

bands for arthurs day??

• 01-09-2013 11:57am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,175 ✭✭✭

hey guys and gals im just trying to decide where to be for the arthurs day

i would get intoi all the crap about hating the marketing idea that is arthurs day but i do quiet like the idea of big bands playing locally and will support any fake holiday that makes that happen:D

so has anyone heard any rumours about bands playing or the venues in town etc?? i thinks its on the 24th of september or around that anyway

Comments

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,909 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

Is it nearly that time of year already? Texas playing in Smyths only seems like a short while ago!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,175 ✭✭✭Paulegend

i missed it last year i was in waterford. going to try to be here for it this year though. last year waterford had very little. teh fun lovin crinimlas where playing but id rate texas better.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,278 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Ah, Diageo Day is back.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,459 ✭✭✭Chucken

http://www.guinness.com/en-ie/arthursday/bandinfo.html

Gives the headline artists but I cant see where they're playing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,965 ✭✭✭SarahBeep!

Chucken wrote: »
    http://www.guinness.com/en-ie/arthursday/bandinfo.html

Gives the headline artists but I cant see where they're playing.

They never announce where the acts will be, it's a case of turn up at the venue and good luck!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,853 ✭✭✭Poxyshamrock

SarahBeep! wrote: »
    They never announce where the acts will be, it's a case of turn up at the venue and good luck!

They did in 2011 and I thought it was better.

The Milk Market had The Feeling, Sharon Shannon, Royseven and Calvin Harris.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,965 ✭✭✭SarahBeep!

They did in 2011 and I thought it was better.

The Milk Market had The Feeling, Sharon Shannon, Royseven and Calvin Harris.

Was it just last yaer they did the surprise announcement?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,853 ✭✭✭Poxyshamrock

SarahBeep! wrote: »
    Was it just last yaer they did the surprise announcement?

Yeah! :(

• Registered Users Posts: 2 AoifeMuse

Hi,
    have a ticket for Dakota's on Arthur's day, want to swap it for a ticket for Whelans

Thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,565 ✭✭✭Irish_rat

The ticketed event in Limerick this year is Nancy's sold out weeks ago, few smaller bands playing around the place though

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 99 ✭✭untouchable

any ideas what other bands will be around on the day??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 462 ✭✭the_blackstuff

Anybody any news yet who we might have in Nancy's tomorrow?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,467 ✭✭✭h3000

The Minutes just tweeted that they are playing Dolans at midnight tomorrow.

0118 999 881 999 119 725 3

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,477 ✭✭✭grenache

Arthur/Diageo can fcuk right off, and shove their watery black stuff where the sun don't shine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,152 ✭✭✭✭Berty

There may be a bias from me against it but I still think its nothing but a major marketing push. Everything marketing do is to sell products. They forget that they force pubs to cover over other taps and refuse to sell any non diageo product for x number of hours, depending on the investment made.

I haven't heard anything from pubs this year about how is playing or not. Last year people were all about it. Not much interest this year.

• Site Banned Posts: 99 ✭✭untouchable

Beer Baron wrote: »
    There may be a bias from me against it but I still think its nothing but a major marketing push. Everything marketing do is to sell products. They forget that they force pubs to cover over other taps and refuse to sell any non diageo product for x number of hours, depending on the investment made.

I haven't heard anything from pubs this year about how is playing or not. Last year people were all about it. Not much interest this year.

i dont remember that ever happening to be honest

of course its a marketing ploy but who gives a toss. it is a great event. it gives local bars business on a day that they wouldnt get business(at least in the same quantity. plus all the profits are put into their fund for their https://www.arthurguinnessprojects.com/about

i think its great that they are investing like this. people should stop moaning about a business making a great marketing idea and in return investing the profits into helping people achieve more great things.

you dont like it? then dont buy a diageo product. hell you dont even have to go out. buit i for one will be heading out(probably not for 6pm) but ill be out to listen to live music and have a few pints with the girlfriend. i wont be buying diageo's finest but thats because i dont drink the stuff. nothing to do with if i like the marketing idea or not.

people forget that riverfest is a marketing idea!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 395 ✭✭bazkennedy

For those of you who do choose to go drinking tonight there are several events going on around Limerick other than the official sold out event in Nancy's.

The White House pub is doing a Wake/Funeral procession for Arthur Guinness.

The crafty fox bar limerick are celebrating Aunty Martha's Day (don't expect to get a guinness but there's a free pint of house stout for the first 100 in the door).

Turntable legend Greg Wilson will be in Mickey Martins

The Japanese Popstars will be in the library

Parliament Square and We Shot JR! will be in Cobblestone Joes

Fox Jaw Bounty Hunters will be in Bourke's Bar

Tradstone will be in O'Connells (Old Quarter)

Jerry Flannerys Chas Band @ 7.30

Dolans will be hosting DIE

Grassroots and Cuisle are playing in Clohessy's

$lipm@ts playing in the Water Garden in LUX (formerly Angel Lane)

Live music also in Flannery's (upper Denmark St)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,489 ✭✭✭moby2101

Firstly, I think it's great that there are so many acts of various types of music playing around the city, and indeed the country.. It was great to see Texas last year in Smyths, I hadn't seen them since they played support to Simple Minds in 1988 in the RDS!!!
    It's such a shame that there is a lack of a live scene in Limerick, there is a problem with a suitable venue in terms of size... but anyway the main topic of debate here is Diageo's introduction of "Arthurs Day"...let's face it it's a brilliant marketing plan, whoever conceived the idea...hats off to them..worldwide exposure for a not too hefty spend(..im sure it runs into the millions but in terms of overall revenue..its a pittance) Where people are getting up in arms is the aftermath of these promotions, the A&E units tonight, the under resourced Gardai.. let's face it we as a nation have a BIG problem with alcohol..whether is Paddy's Day, Stephens night or whatever generally the what happens after the pubs have closed their doors, it's not good..
    Do we need Arthurs Day, yeah why not, we just need to make sure it doesn't stuff up all other aspects of our society

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,992 ✭✭✭leakyboots

There is plenty of live music in Limerick

• Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭Daithi07

Ham sandwich and original rude boys in nancys
    How underwhelming!

• Advertisement

Anyone anywhere that has a good act right now. Ham sandwich were very good but the original rude boys were ****e. Covers band and a bad one at that. What sort of a headline act is that.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,909 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

Daithi07 wrote: »
    Ham sandwich and original rude boys in nancys
    How underwhelming!

Ham Sandwich are a fantastic band!

• Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭Daithi07

Ham Sandwich are a fantastic band!

Maybe so. But they are a local band that you can see anytime. Not great for all the hype really!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,278 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

But isn't that all part of this whole Arthur's Day marketing thing? Get people into pubs spending money who normally don't go drinking on a Thursday evening, add a bit of hype to enhance venues? It's similar to the endless silly occasions that card companies in the US schemed up sometime ago.

Love ham sandwich but over all limerick on a tickeed event was ****e. Original rude boys were crap. Feel hard done by

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭seachto7

Clohessys was DEAD. DEAD!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,632 ✭✭✭SuperWoody101

The buzz around the city was nothing at all like last year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,565 ✭✭✭Irish_rat

Absolutely shocking headliner but ham sandwich were excellent. Feel robbed when Bastille were free over in UL. Manics were up in a free event in Galway too as well as James Vincent McMorrow somewhere else.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,083 ✭✭✭Jofspring

I think the hype this year died down cause a lot were disappointed with Texas last year. Having Ham sandwich and Original rude boys as a pay event won't do next year any favours either when you see what other counties got.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,370 ✭✭✭Skuxx

Someone told me Tinie Tempah was also in Nancys? I'm not sure I believe it though, anyone in there?

Advertisement