Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

how to resign

Options
  • 01-09-2013 12:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 12

I have been in this company for 2.5 years. In july I got married in July this year and told them about it 1.5 months prior. we decided that we will be apart for 6 months as he is from another city and the plan for me is to join him there at the end of he year (the compnay doesnt know that he is living in another city as I didnt want to give them any understanding that I might quit any time and join him. THey only know that he is in overseas and we will be joining me here where I live at the end of the year). I have had a lot of issues at work esp with my current boss - we have had not the best relatioship but they have provided me with lots of training on the other hand. The relationship hasnt been that great to the point that I hate her. Policy is to give a 1 months notice. So should I be nice and give them two months notice atleast or 1 month is enough. I just want to leave with a good standing.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,257 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

One month is absolutely fine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 987 ✭✭✭The Glass Key

Why put yourself in a potentially awkward position for 2 months?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 279 ✭✭thomur

but they have provided me with lots of training on the other hand. The relationship hasnt been that great to the point that I hate her.

Be the bigger person and give them the 2 months notice

• Registered Users Posts: 21,257 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

There's really no need for the 2 months notice. If they had forgotten to include a notice period and it was the legal minimum of a week or whatever it is, then maybe I'd be inclined to be nice and give a month. But they have set out a month's notice and are not expecting any longer than that.

As I think The Glass Key is implying, some bosses can be a bit petty towards someone is leaving. You might get all the crap work to do, snippy comments etc - you don't need that for 8 full weeks.

If you want to leave in good standing, you have a great excuse in that you're joining your husband in a different city. So you don't have to give any negative reasons behind leaving. So work out your notice period, do everything they ask cheerfully and unless they're dicks, you should leave on good terms.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 san786

company policy is 1 month. I feel bad in the sense that they have provided with a lot of training during the time I have been with them. I am just worried about the reaction once I tell them I lam leaving. the reason I was thinking about 2 months was so that I am providing them with favour in return for the training provided. I am also worried about a negative future reference. what should I do?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,330 ✭✭✭Bandana boy

I would let your boss know you plan to leave as early as possible but only hand in your notice formally at the required 1 month.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,064 ✭✭✭pauliebdub

san786 wrote: »
    company policy is 1 month. I feel bad in the sense that they have provided with a lot of training during the time I have been with them. I am just worried about the reaction once I tell them I lam leaving. the reason I was thinking about 2 months was so that I am providing them with favour in return for the training provided. I am also worried about a negative future reference. what should I do?

Give the standard one months notice. training is a normal part of the job and is usually given to develop employees so dont feel bad about leaving after receiving training. If you dont get on with your boss she could make life hard for you over the two months so why make life difficult for yourself?

Advertisement