Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

First pair of running shoes

Options
  • 01-09-2013 12:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,912 ✭✭✭

Hi folks, going to Elverys later to get my first proper pair of running shoes later. I was using cheap ones before when i started running and got a lot of knee pain. Any tips on what to look for, total newbie to running so plan on starting with the couch to 5k?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,845 ✭✭✭shootermacg

Number one tip is, get analysis. I'm not sure Elverys do it or not, so check first.
    Its free and they tell you if you've got high arches or flat feet.

You can then choose a shoe, that's right for you. Don't bother going for the custom insole, they'll try and push on you, its a joke.

For over pronators (flat feet) I'd recommend Brook beasts (I also have the nike structure 16 and aasics gt2000, both over priced and not great tbh ).
    For neutral road running I'd personally go for the nike vomeros, but I don't think you're a neutral given the knee issues.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,055 ✭✭✭Mr.Fred

I'll bet they'll try and flog you orthotics as soon as they hear knee pain. Go to Amphibian King or base 2race to get a gait analysis done they'll steer you in the right direction.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,912 ✭✭✭kilburn

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

kilburn wrote: »

I see you are in Limerick?
    Get yourself to Amphibian King in Limerick
    http://www.amphibiankinggalway.ie/#!amphibian-king-limerick/cvc4

You'll get a free gait analyisis and fitting there too but the staff are likely to be more knowledgeable than in Elverys and they won't try to flog you orthotics....

• Registered Users Posts: 3,912 ✭✭✭kilburn

Excellent thanks i did not know they were in limerick

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,468 ✭✭✭sconhome

kilburn wrote: »
    Excellent thanks i did not know they were in limerick

Just newly arrived to give runners the option. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭thirstywork2

Get down to AK Limerick and they will sort you out and spend time with you going through plenty of options.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,957 ✭✭✭digger2d2

Personally speaking I like going into Elverys just to listen to some of the sh1te they spout to the poor unknowing.....:eek::D

Advertisement