Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

out the back

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33 Bub34

Man you went off on one for no reason, everyone basically said the same thing you saying if you want to read back over them. Look I know what your saying bout things going wrong out there but the advice I got was giving was exactly what I needed ive been surfing for bout 8 months now an was ithing to start going out the back. im not a total idoit an can swim but in my opinion im not a real strong swimmer but im not that bad. The lads all said that I should be a good swimmer so nw im trying to get to pool to get better. I was advise to go out on small days to get my confidence up, an don't go out on bigger days as I was not ready an would only set me back, or basically scare the **** out of me.
    ive been out on small days paddle around on my board an just getting used to paddle around. I started surfing an fell in love with it, its a passion more than a hobbie as I love the sea so much as sloppy as that sounds, as I do a lot of fishing an highly respect how dangerous it is.
    I picked up the popping up on the board quick enough an was riding along waves fairly quick, I used to do a good bit of skateboarding an guest that was a bonus to me.
    But for the four months nw I felt like ive got no better an knew it was because it was time to start getting waves that didn't break so quick or green waves hence go out the back. so started this tread to see what people had to say, an was very thankful for the advise I was giving as im back learning again. but only on small nice swells an been very carefull out there as everyone warned me to be.
    I think you've rub up a few people the wrong way, as you kinda lost the plot on what your saying an getting your point across, I understand what you where trying to say but all the lads had my safety in mine first from what I read anyway.
    Now if u want to explain how you started surfing an how you progress up to how ever good you are now I would much appreciate it or anyone else either cause I know il will learn from it.

• Registered Users Posts: 24 nickbok

Okaaaaaaaay, this thread is a little all over the place! Half scared of throwing in my twopence worth but **** it here goes. We all gotta start somewhere right? Can get how that transition from white to green area can be bit daunting since you've never done it but if you dont go you wont know. How will anyone progress I'd they don't push themselves and ultimately do whats needed and friggin surf!! All it is, is practice, practice, PRACTICE!!! Get out there as much as you can, in ur own space with friends, if you don't have friends that surf make some! Paddling is a whole different ball game, doesn't matter how fit or how much muscles you got (altho prob helps!) it's about conditioning ur body to do it and do it well! Positioning also is a biggie. Think there's always that slump in learning curve around the yr mark where u feel like you're getting nowhere but once you keep pushing and trying new **** you come out the other side the better for it. That slump crops up again over time but not as bad as first one! Enjoy the waves, be safe with yourself and others and aim to get better. I'm prob a useless kook too so take with a grain of salt lol! Not all surfers are assholes either

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,276 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Mod:

I deleted a few posts there as the thread was turning into a mess. May I point out this section of the charter:
    Try to be nice
    If someone is wrong (even if they are really really wrong) there's no need to be nasty when correcting them. Maintaining a friendly tone creates fewer headaches for everyone.

It's possible to get a point across about the dangers of heading out back while offering advice and still being encouraging. It's also possible to do this by not trying to belittle those less experienced than yourself. If you are not able to do this then don't bother posting. It's really that simple.

Also please report a post if you have an issue with it.

Thanks.

Advertisement