Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Microsoft Message "Call us overprotective..."

Options
  • 01-09-2013 1:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭

When my friend logs onto her computer and clicks on her Live.com tab to open Hotmail she gets a message purporting to come from Microsoft headed "Call us overprotective..." The message asks where Microsoft should send a security code, and the drop down box offers three options 1) a text to her phone no which is given, 2) a call to the same phone no, or 3) an email to an alternative email address, also given. The Learn More link connects into what looks like a genuine Windows site which provides info as to why Microsoft want additional security information. This explains a) that Microsoft want users to update and verify their security and personal info and b) that the code will enable them to do this when they log into their Microsoft account. The message threatens that if she does not do this within five days her Microsoft account will be locked.
    I am a bit wary of this anyway but my wariness is increased by the fact that I have not got a similar message, although I too have a Hotmail account, and by the fact that when she hits the Next button on the Microsoft instructions she gets a message that there's a temporary problem with the service. I have googled the "call us overprotective..." message but the results are not reassuring and I can't find a clear statement that this is legitimate.
    Does anyone know if it is ok, and has anyone responded to Microsoft with satisfactory results.?

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,016 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

Aeneas wrote: »
    When my friend logs onto her computer and clicks on her Live.com tab to open Hotmail she gets a message purporting to come from Microsoft headed "Call us overprotective..." The message asks where Microsoft should send a security code, and the drop down box offers three options 1) a text to her phone no which is given, 2) a call to the same phone no, or 3) an email to an alternative email address, also given. The Learn More link connects into what looks like a genuine Windows site which provides info as to why Microsoft want additional security information. This explains a) that Microsoft want users to update and verify their security and personal info and b) that the code will enable them to do this when they log into their Microsoft account. The message threatens that if she does not do this within five days her Microsoft account will be locked.
    I am a bit wary of this anyway but my wariness is increased by the fact that I have not got a similar message, although I too have a Hotmail account, and by the fact that when she hits the Next button on the Microsoft instructions she gets a message that there's a temporary problem with the service. I have googled the "call us overprotective..." message but the results are not reassuring and I can't find a clear statement that this is legitimate.
    Does anyone know if it is ok, and has anyone responded to Microsoft with satisfactory results.?

Microsoft do legitimately check the phone number they have on file for a persons account is correct, which they can use should you get locked out from your account/it gets hacked to regain control of your account.
    If it has her correct number on file, well then I would think its legitimate. Although try logging into the account on another machine and see if the message appears just to be on the safe side :)

Nick

• Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭Aeneas

Thanks. We tried that and she successfully logged in to her Hotmail (now Outlook) account on my own laptop. However, the Microsoft message appears only intermittently on her own laptop so it may be a message that is sent only after a certain number of sign-ins. The Microsoft message does have a "skip" facility and when she clicks on that she gets access to her e-mail account and messages. This would suggest that the thing is legitimate. I guess we could wait for five days and see is she is locked out and then take the action suggested. But I thought if this was a new general instruction from Microsoft to all Account holders that many people would have received the same message.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,299 ✭✭✭✭BloodBath

It's normal. I have done it.

It might seem a bit intrusive but considering the details contained in a lot of peoples email accounts higher security levels are a good thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭Aeneas

Thanks, that's reassuring. In fact she went into her account and updated the settings separately from the recurring "call us overprotective...." portal. Hopefully that will have done the trick and she won't be bothered by the message again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 322 ✭✭ppshay

Got the same message, entered an alternative email address, got the message "We've sent a code to <alternative emal address>", but never got the code.

I know it's automated but perhaps didn't they like my alternative address - noneofyourbusinessmicrosoft@mydomain.com?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭Mar Mar Marmalade

I tried sending the verification code to another email. It turns out that after I sent the code to my alternative email, when I went to log onto it, it was asking for the same thing. So near the end I had two email verification codes sent to the other email address and I couldn't access either or.

Anyway, I found a way to get it to send the code to a mobile through text. The whole thing was a bit of a hassle.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,201 ✭✭✭jamesbondings

For all you gamers out there I had to do this on the Xbox which turned out to be a complete nightmare. Microsoft support worked wonders but couldn't sign in online to play live.

Advertisement