Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

IM Austria - Doing the Double

Options
  • 01-09-2013 1:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,468 ✭✭✭

Congratulations to both Irish triathletes Gavin Noble and Eimear Mullen on their respective wins in Austria today.

Gavin finished in 3:50:24 while Eimear did a 4:14:16. What a result!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭Ceepo

Congratulations to both Irish triathletes Gavin Noble and Eimear Mullen on their respective wins in Austria today.

Gavin finished in 3:50:24 while Eimear did a 4:14:16. What a result!!

Fantastic result. And cracking times as well.
    Records maybe ?.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,396 ✭✭✭Shedite27

Gavin's seems to be a record alright, seems to beat a 23 year old record from a race in Sligo? Sounds suspect.

Fair play Gavin and Eimear.

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭NewWheels

Great results from Gavin & Eimear.

Does this event give them a ticket to Kona?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,396 ✭✭✭Shedite27

NewWheels wrote: »
    Great results from Gavin & Eimear.

Does this event give them a ticket to Kona?
    You have to complete a full ironman in the previous year to qualify for Kona I believe. Or so the voiceover guy on the ironamn TV show keeps telling me.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,101 ✭✭✭Bambaata

He wouldnt be looking for it anyway

• Advertisement

I do think there are a few 70.3 events that get you a Kona ticket - I probably should have put it clearer. Does this one qualify him for Kona 2013 or 2014? Hard to tell from the ironman.com site

Why would he not be looking for it? Surely if he is going to go up the distance it is THE show to be at?

Its not the distance though and he is only coming back to training properly now after treatment for an issue keeping him from running for the guts of a year (if not more - i believe he carried the issue through the olympics). Im pretty sure he has his eye on Rio and training for a 70.3 isnt all that different to olympic distance, going to full long distance is a different matter.

I also would be surprised if that 70.3 had Kona slots available as its not one of the major 70.3's. If it had Kona slots the pro field would have been deeper. Thats not to say he wouldn't have been up there anyway. He's a top athlete and his cycling is most likely the strongest it has ever been seeing as he hasn't been able to run properly for a long time. I expected him to win this one, here's hoping he does a few more.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,583 ✭✭✭✭tunney

NewWheels wrote: »
    I do think there are a few 70.3 events that get you a Kona ticket - I probably should have put it clearer. Does this one qualify him for Kona 2013 or 2014? Hard to tell from the ironman.com site

Why would he not be looking for it? Surely if he is going to go up the distance it is THE show to be at?

No. You're a little out of date. Automatic qualication based on the result of a single race is no longer the case. KPR or Kona Points Ranking is how it is done.

http://ironmanpromembership.com/im-qualifying/2013-kpr/

Thanks for the clarifications guys

Odd that I read the qualifying list on an official Ironman.com webpage!!!! Suppose they do say never believe what you read on the web :)

It would make it very interesting to have a pro irish representative there though. Maybe in years to come, never say never. I don't think Gavin would say never either.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭pgibbo

Bambaata wrote: »
    It would make it very interesting to have a pro irish representative there though. Maybe in years to come, never say never. I don't think Gavin would say never either.

I hope not. He's a class act. He has also said he wants to do an IM

• Registered Users Posts: 5,468 ✭✭✭sconhome

Surely Eimear has qualified for a spot in Kona?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭pgibbo

I don't believe she has. KPR points differ from race to race. She's just outside the top 50 and I believe the top 28 qualify. Link here.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,359 ✭✭✭peter kern

the race was a p 500 race . Ie the lowest Ironman standart (15 000 US pricemoney) .
    those races dont get you far in qualifing to an world champ race.
    for kona you need about 4000 as male and 5000 for female.

the points from austria count for next years quali and not this year.

AN Irish pro(born in Ireland ) qualifiyed for vegas this year

pgibbo wrote: »
    I don't believe she has. KPR points differ from race to race. She's just outside the top 50 and I believe the top 28 qualify. Link here.

According to this link http://ironmanpromembership.com/im-qualifying/2013-kpr/ She is 51st and also has an * beside her name

"*Denotes fulfillment of scoring in mandatory full distance event"

Must be from previous events.

Was great to see such a historic double Irish win in triathlon and the great press coverage it got on TV & Radio :p (Yes I was dreaming at the time)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭bryangiggsy

Seems strange some of the races she has picked this year instead of going for the kpr points. I guess money plays a big role and maybe she is aiming for Kona next year and earning as much as she can this year

UPDATE

On this link (Official site) While she got the valid number of points (think it is a minimum thing) she is not one of the 35:

http://www.ironman.com/triathlon/triathlon-rankings/kpr-women.aspx

No "Q" beside her name

• Registered Users Posts: 3,359 ✭✭✭peter kern

Seems strange some of the races she has picked this year instead of going for the kpr points. I guess money plays a big role and maybe she is aiming for Kona next year and earning as much as she can this year

i would think it makes a lot of sense what she does . she is establishing a name ( most people dodnt understand that different races have different price money and points) while working on her swim (which is still not kona non wetsuit ready, but seems to get a bit better every race )

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,454 ✭✭✭hf4z6sqo7vjngi

Have you seen the prize money in some of the races she has done? very poor and not something you would make a decent living off. Not sure what the pro sponsorship deals are like but its a tough way to make a living on prize money alone. Looking at results this year i reckon about €16k with a good chunk of that sitting in WTCs bank earning interest.
    WTC appear to be very very slow in paying out to the pros as i have seen a few tweets flying about from pros getting pissed off. Using test results coming back as an excuse but that is bull****.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,583 ✭✭✭✭tunney

Interesting and not as completely unrelated as some of my tangents but the precedent set by Competitor Group should send chills down the neck of any PRO.
    RunBlogRun broke the news first on Friday night, “the Competitor Group, a group of 83 endurance events in North America, ten in Europe and Asia and several endurance media platforms, has eliminated their support of elite athletes in North American events. This includes appearance fees, travel and lodging.”

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,454 ✭✭✭hf4z6sqo7vjngi

Oh forgot to say well done to both, amazing performances. Chat around pros/prize money etc probably best suited to anotehr thread.

Advertisement