Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Registry Office Wedding Northern Ireland

Options
  • 01-09-2013 1:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1

Hi,

Has anyone married in a registry office in Northern Ireland?

I believe the waiting list is a lot quicker than Ireland and I am looking in to getting married there in the next few weeks.

Has anyone done this? Would be interested to hear how you got on? And how straightforward the application was.

Thank you!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 26,511 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

You don't need to be resident in NI to be married there, so that's not a problem.

There's a legal requirement to give eight weeks' notice to the registrar. In practice, getting a date may mean that you have to wait longer, though. Presumably, the demand at some offices is higher than at others, so if you are flexible about where you wish to marry, that may help reduce the waiting time.

The main difference between NI and the Republic is that in NI registry office weddings must take place in the actual registry office- you can't have a civil registrar come and marry you at a hotel, garden or other venue. And if your fussy about the appearance of the surroundings that you'll be married in, you may want to visit the various registry offices and choose one that you like. But my guess is that the more photogenic registry offices are likely to be the ones with greatest demand, and longest waiting lists.

Advertisement