Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Westworld (HBO/Sky Atlantic) [** Spoilers **]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭jcsoulinger

did they kill that security guard? did they have to do that?

He was a host

• Registered Users Posts: 11,827 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

He was a host
    er no i thought the point of that demonstration was to show host (clementine) on human (security guard) violence was possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,426 ✭✭✭corkie

er no i thought the point of that demonstration was to show host (clenentine) on human (security guard) violence was possible.

It was a host but was configured to be recognized as been human by other hosts!

• Registered Users Posts: 19,233 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

reece289 wrote: »
    A. She can wake herself up, as we have seen again and again.

B. She walks around with a hole in her chest after being shot, clearly very hard to kill.

They are pretty ****ed.

a. Yes, but they get her in time and time again switched off. Surely it's possible for them to permanently switch her off?

b. A few holes in the head might sort her out though, or a decommissioning corkscrew up the nose?

Yes, they're all pretty fucked. It's the method by which they're putting themselves on the road to getting fucked that's the problem.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 401 ✭✭holidaysong

Effects wrote: »
    Here's Arnold building Dolores:
    westworld.png

Everything points to Bernard being a copy of Arnold.

Which episode was this in? I don't remember noticing it before.

Anyway great episode. I am definitely on board with the Bernard is a host version of Arnold theory anyway due to possible anagram and also likely Bernard not seeing what he would have interpreted as himself in the photo of 'Arnold'. He later thinks the person he could see in the photo was Arnold.

Surely the host which was being formed at the end in the basement is a Theresa replica?

They made an effort in this episode to remind us viewers that the management have far greater plans for the tech and the code than a tourist interaction. I wonder if these greater plans have anything to do with replacing world leaders/influential people with controllable hosts.

Also, the more I see of Sir Anthony Hopkins in this, the more I can easily envision what Hannibal Lector is like in retirement, sans the cannibalistic tendencies.

He's amazing to watch and would seriously be missed in this show. I hope they don't Game of Thrones
    Ned Stark him
    by the end of the first season.

• Registered Users Posts: 657 ✭✭✭irishash

After this episode, it is my belief that while watching earlier episodes, we are been shown stories happening in multiple different time periods.

The Bernard/Delores conversations I believe are from shortly before the death of Arnold. I, like a few others, believe that Bernard is a host copy of Arnold. The room where they (Bernard/Delores) talk is a remote build room that was used in Beta testing, so a room from very early in the park history.

The William/Delores story is from 5 years after that period and Arnolds death.

Then we have the stories (Maeve/Ford/Corporate messing) in the present.

I also think the short scene with Ford and Delores is from a period in the near future (After Delores finds the maze and is then brought in).

Somebody asked earlier why would Ford go through all the trouble of creating fake video calls from Bernard just to maintain the illusion. I think the video call with Bernards ex-wife is from this first time period. It is not a faked call. Also Bernard/Arnold had a son who died, maybe shortly before they found a cure or treatment for his condition, so they would be a lot of resentment there. Enough to try and create a way to live forever.

• Registered Users Posts: 554 ✭✭✭Morris Moss

A few people are after saying William is the man in black, is this just a theory or was their something to suggest it? Also that means 2 different timelines which I was totally oblivious to.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,760 ✭✭✭Effects

A few people are after saying William is the man in black, is this just a theory or was their something to suggest it? Also that means 2 different timelines which I was totally oblivious to.

Yeah, it's a theory, but the show gives a lot of clues to back it up.

There's actually three timelines!

1. Arnold & Delores (We are lead to believe it's Bernard).
    2. William & Logan
    3. MIB and Westworld HQ.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,636 ✭✭✭Nermal

2. William & Logan
    3. MIB and Westworld HQ.

So Dolores is experiencing the first pangs of consciousness in (1) & (2) (which may actually be around the same time).

But there's many years to go to (3), right? So where is Dolores in (3) and how was her 'awakening' resolved?

Nermal wrote: »
    So Dolores is experiencing the first pangs of consciousness in (1) & (2) (which may actually be around the same time).

But there's many years to go to (3), right? So where is Dolores in (3) and how was her 'awakening' resolved?

1. Is about 35 Years ago.
    2. Is about 30 years ago.
    3. Present timeline.

Teddy and MIB are on their way to finding Wyatt & Dolores. As far as I can remember!

• Registered Users Posts: 22,409 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

Foxtrol wrote: »
    The whole call between Bernard and his wife is confusing me a bit now. I’ll need to go back and rewatch but it seems like a lot of extra effort to go to for Ford to get a person or host to record a fake call for him with a fake wife (though it could be some sort of dream/implanted memory). I think it would be much simpler to set him up to be estranged from a wife altogether, as it’s clear that other hosts will follow much more wild storylines. I get the potential links with him and Arnold but I wouldn’t totally write off that there was a real Bernard at one point and that he could be a replacement host that reaches out every now and again to people in the real world so not to raise any questions.

I think Bernards back story is a useful way to explain why this 'human' has thrown himself entirely into his work and never leaves the park. It turns him into a deeply sympathetic character who people will make allowances for, and is probably a big part of the reason why nobody in the park suspected that he was a host all along. But it's also a very cruel way to do it, to give him nothing but painful memories is a very strong message about how Ford thinks about these robots. He says it is merciful to protect them from anxiety and bad memories, but he gave Bernard a son with the sole purpose of taking him away in the most emotionally painful way possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,530 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

Maybe Bernard was a human and Ford got rid of him and replaced him with a host?
    The same thing might happen to Theresa or how else will her disappearance be explained ?

Akrasia wrote: »
    He says it is merciful to protect them from anxiety and bad memories, but he gave Bernard a son with the sole purpose of taking him away in the most emotionally painful way possible.

He probably gave him the actual memory of what happened to Arnold.

• Registered Users Posts: 82,426 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

I am beginning to think that perhaps every host in the park was originally a human that Ford killed and then recreated as a host with some copying of their memory over as we have seen futuristic flashbacks from some of them already.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,175 ✭✭✭intheclouds

And why did they lobotomise her up the nose? They didn't do that with Abernathy or the other fella they put into storage.

I'll be disappointed if thats the end of Clementine.

Although if the multiple timeline thing is correct, I suppose we might see more of her.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,133 ✭✭✭GottaGetGatt

And why did they lobotomise her up the nose? They didn't do that with Abernathy or the other fella they put into storage.

They did do it Abernathy in the first episode. they placed him storage then j. The sub level where all the other dicomissioned hosts were put.

They did do it Abernathy in the first episode. they placed him storage then j. The sub level where all the other dicomissioned hosts were put.

Just had a look at the end of the first episode, because I also thought they did it to him as well.

But no they didn't do the drilling. We had Bernard walking him and talking/whispering to him when put in cold storage.

Edit: - Stand corrected! At approx 1:04 they did the procedure. Must have missed when re-scanning the end of the episode.

Did they? I don't recall the drill up the nose for him.

It's odd they'd be keeping the processor in the head, surely the head gets beaten and damaged quite a bit in the normal run of park fun.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,133 ✭✭✭GottaGetGatt

corkie wrote: »
    Just had a look at the end of the first episode, because I also thought they did it to him as well.

But no they didn't do the drilling. We had Bernard walking him and talking/whispering to him when put in cold storage.
    Yes they did,rewatched the first episode last night.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,141 ✭✭✭lau1247

2. William & Logan
    3. MIB and Westworld HQ.

Worth a watch to explain the timeline theory

West Dublin, ☀️ 7.83kWp ⚡5.66 kWp South West, ⚡2.18 kWp North East

Yes they did,rewatched the first episode last night.

Your right, I edited my post. I knew I had seen it before.
    lau1247 wrote: »
    Worth a watch to explain the timeline theory

Your video link is not working, but the video is already linked here in thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 692 ✭✭✭jinkybhoy

corkie wrote: »
    Westworld Bits: Westworld’s Chronology Explained, Storyboards, and Everyone Talks About the Orgy Scene

Includes a video explaining the Two - Timelines theory.

If the above is true, it will probably require watching the show all over again, to try and make sense of the timelines.

question if this theory is correct - The older hosts didn't move or act as well as the modern ones - How does dolores look and act the same as her 30 year old self and present day?

It's odd they'd be keeping the processor in the head, surely the head gets beaten and damaged quite a bit in the normal run of park fun.

Where would you put it? With the amount of gun play, and the relative difficulty of performing headshots, putting the processor in the head actually makes some sense..

• Registered Users Posts: 344 ✭✭cumulonimbus

I am beginning to think that perhaps every host in the park was originally a human that Ford killed and then recreated as a host with some copying of their memory over as we have seen futuristic flashbacks from some of them already.

That would explain why management were unable to reproduce Ford's work/hosts, i. e. They were not using actual human brains but we're just trying to code them.

• Advertisement

Where would you put it? With the amount of gun play, and the relative difficulty of performing headshots, putting the processor in the head actually makes some sense..

Maybe the left foot? Somewhere unlikely to take a bullet anyway.

Advertisement