Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Westworld (HBO/Sky Atlantic) [** Spoilers **]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,403 ✭✭✭Riddle101

Anyone seen this? Pretty funny.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,760 ✭✭✭Effects

TheDoc wrote: »
    We pretty much assumed the Ford on stage was a host.

What's the point of that? It would be revealed that he was a Host during the cleanup of the whole mess.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,047 ✭✭✭GerB40

Effects wrote: »
    What's the point of that? It would be revealed that he was a Host during the cleanup of the whole mess.

Wow that piece of logic completely throws that theory out the window...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,057 ✭✭✭.......

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

Just listening to the soundtrack for like the 100th time. Such an epic soundtrack, especially "Dr Ford" song!

I actually cannot wait to watch the series again over Christmas . I'm not sure there has ever been a TV show I could say that about.

• Advertisement

GerB40 wrote: »
    Wow that piece of logic completely throws that theory out the window...

What's the point in him pretending he's been killed by a host if it just comes to light that it's not the real Dr. Ford? Or was it just for show?
    What's the point in Dolores making the decision to kill Ford if she's only shooting a host?
    ....... wrote: »

Yes, of course it would, they can easily tell the difference between a host body and a human body.

I take your point about who's going to clean up the park.

We just started watching this over the weekend, the piano version of Blackhole Sun by Soundgarden in the 1st episode was sublime!!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,703 ✭✭✭✭Ally Dick

Drumpot wrote: »

I actually cannot wait to watch the series again over Christmas . I'm not sure there has ever been a TV show I could say that about.

It put me to sleep the first time. I couldn't imagine watching it again

• Registered Users Posts: 18,503 ✭✭✭✭Also Starring LeVar Burton

I put this on the backburner after episode 3, because I didn't like having to wait week to week to watch it, but just caught up on the rest of the season over the weekend and it's so good - mostly I'm still really confused, but in a good way.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,843 ✭✭✭Jimdagym

I put this on the backburner after episode 3, because I didn't like having to wait week to week to watch it, but just caught up on the rest of the season over the weekend and it's so good - mostly I'm still really confused, but in a good way.

Funnily enough I think the show benefited with the week between shows.
    Big fan of binge watching but this one needed digestion!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

Just finished this tonight, great show, some of the acting was superb.

There's a few things I'm still not sure of:

1. Dolores was shown to be shot in the stomach when she rode home and then next second she was fine, what happened there?
    2. When Dolores' Dad was being placed in storage, Bernard whispered something in his ear and the host was shown to be crying, what happened there?

The show had it's weak points though, Maeve in the lab, the SWAT running in like kids playing cops and rubber and the English narrative writer in particular.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,425 ✭✭✭corkie

razorblunt wrote: »

1. Dolores was shown to be shot in the stomach when she rode home and then next second she was fine, what happened there?
    2. When Dolores' Dad was being placed in storage, Bernard whispered something in his ear and the host was shown to be crying, what happened there?

The show had it's weak points though, Maeve in the lab, the SWAT running in like kids playing cops and rubber and the English narrative writer in particular.

Have you watched it all?
    1. Was a flashback of getting shot on a previous loop.
    2. Can't remember, don't know ---- was not important to story overall.

About Delores being shot and not being shot at the same time, there seems to be a whooole lot you didn't pick up on. Don't worry, most viewers didn't either. I would suggest watching this video https://youtu.be/6aX5AsaD6TU which does a good job at making sense of the finale.

I can't remember the Bernard whisperingto yer man.

Regarding the weak security, Ford had planned the final ambush, and his subsequent death, weeks in advance. He was warned that security would be weak one night and he just brushed it off as nothing to worry about. This implies that Ford wanted Maeve and Co to attempt to escape and made arrangements that it would happen when security was lax.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

About Delores being shot and not being shot at the same time, there seems to be a whooole lot you didn't pick up on. Don't worry, most viewers didn't either. I would suggest watching this video https://youtu.be/6aX5AsaD6TU which does a good job at making sense of the finale.

I can't remember the Bernard whisperingto yer man.

Regarding the weak security, Ford had planned the final ambush, and his subsequent death, weeks in advance. He was warned that security would be weak one night and he just brushed it off as nothing to worry about. This implies that Ford wanted Maeve and Co to attempt to escape and made arrangements that it would happen when security was lax.

Thanks, yeah, I figured her being shot/not shot, was some sort of loop, just wanted to check!

I'll see if I can find a clip of the Bernard whisper too.

My gripe over security and Maeve was actually about every scene with her in the lab, not just the night of the ending, it's a small gripe of far fetched complaints given the whole series anyway, so not a huge thing.

Interesting that video asked if the body being built in the forgotten lab could be Ford's, I had thought Ford sent his host version out for the speech and will still be alive.

Thanks, yeah, I figured her being shot/not shot, was some sort of loop, just wanted to check!

I'll see if I can find a clip of the Bernard whisper too.

My gripe over security and Maeve was actually about every scene with her in the lab, not just the night of the ending, it's a small gripe of far fetched complaints given the whole series anyway, so not a huge thing.

Interesting that video asked if the body being built in the forgotten lab could be Ford's, I had thought Ford sent his host version out for the speech and will still be alive.

I thought the exact thing about Ford until someone on this thread pointed out that when the post-massacre clean up begins they'd realise that Ford is a host during the post mortem. His 'deception' would be discovered almost instantly making it kinda pointless.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,394 ✭✭✭ManOfMystery

I need more Westworld.

I think the body being built in Ford's lab has no real story purpose in relation to Series 1, but was just something dropped in by the showrunners in case they manage to tempt Hopkins back or find a way to incorporate his doppelganger into Series 2. There was no confirmation that Hopkins was returning but given the massively enthusiastic response to his portrayal of Ford (which they may not have expected when they began filming S1), I think they have left that option there should they wish to exercise it.

When the post-massacre clean up begins they'd realise that Ford is a host during the post mortem.

But if the robots are in charge there might not be a cleanup.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,611 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

But if the robots are in charge there might not be a cleanup.

Like there are so many plot devices they could use to hide the fact it was a host. All they'd need to do is pick up season two with Dolores shooting (right where season 1 ended) and have her set fire to the buildings and it'd destroy Ford's corpse. Enough survivors to say they saw him shot, not enough evidence to prove it was a host. Easy.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,205 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

I was wondering how do they deal with the outside world in series 2? on the face of it outside help would be brought in to close the place down which would be a very quick series

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Advertisement

errlloyd wrote: »
    Like there are so many plot devices they could use to hide the fact it was a host.

That would be really weak storytelling. Actual Ford dying at the end is just what he wanted. It serves the story best. Having him pop up again and revealing it was actually a host that died would be really lazy.

Never in a million years.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,205 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

But essentially there has been a massacre at the centre , the staff and security guards that were killed. does the outside world find out about all this, do the guests?

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Registered Users Posts: 18,127 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

Delores still seems susceptible to her Wyatt persona. Maeve seems to be a free thinker, I can see there being a split in the hosts next season of either the anarchist Delores faction or Maeve trying to convince others freedom awaits through the door.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

That would be really weak storytelling. Actual Ford dying at the end is just what he wanted. It serves the story best. Having him pop up again and revealing it was actually a host that died would be really lazy.

Yeh, I hate to agree because I want to see more Ford but you are right. The season finale had to be the real Ford sacrificing himself for his new "storyline". Otherwise his entire plan (and first season) had no real consequences for Ford and it makes his character weaker IMO. It also dilutes the power and drama of the finale.

How much?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 997 ✭✭✭MrJones1973

I haven't seen the final episode yet. I'm not concerned about spoilers. I think this series is very confusing at times. Particularly episode 9. I had to read an article to figure it out ! Time shifts etc. It seems to be going over very old ground sentient robots blah blah blah without saying anything particularly new.
    The acting is superb but Im not sure if I would bother with a second season myself. Too confusing and I really don't feel anything for the characters which should be the core of a drama.

• Advertisement

Sounds like you didn't pay attention when watching it. I don't think it's for you.

Advertisement