Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Westworld (HBO/Sky Atlantic) [** Spoilers **]

Options

Comments

I watched the first few episodes again over Christmas and I had the same old problems. I feel it's deliberately obtuse throughout. Even with knowing the outcome, it irritates me. There is one scene where Delores has a glitchy moment and whisper that haunting violent-delights line to Maeve and the scene ends. That's it. Maeve has a confused, irritated look on her face and so did I.

Also there is something about a love story between two AI's that bores me to tears, especially in a groundhog day scenario. Every scene with Teddy is zzzzzz.

Average show with a spectacular end. I can't sit through it another time.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭jcsoulinger

Effects wrote: »
    Sounds like you didn't pay attention when watching it. I don't think it's for you.

Patronise Much?

• Registered Users Posts: 399 ✭✭strawdog

Patronise Much?

Ah I don't think they are being particularly patronising. It's a show that has a lot of minute detail and is giving you information in almost every scene that may only become salient in later episodes, so really I think you do have to actively pay close attention (for eg I rewinded often when watching to catch something I missed or thought I spotted) ie I think you need to be invested in the show.

Personally I found myself enjoying the initial confusions and once the timeframe conceit became apparent I also enjoyed trying to put the pieces back together. It's not the kind of viewing that everyone enjoys, which is fair enough. And if you aren't enjoying the show from a few episodes in you're unlikely to follow too closely which is why it then probably wouldn't be your cup of tea.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 997 ✭✭✭MrJones1973

As stated its hard to really root for anybody in the series and its confusing thus the lengthy articles out there explaining it. The whole delores and the maze seems a particular ton of horse manure. I suppose those without much in the way of a life in the real world, have time to figure it out!

All plot holes to be filled just lead to Ford? He just happens to have a back door for every pesky situation.

I probably will watch a few episodes into Season 2 but if its the same a maze within a maze without really developing character I will switch off as will millions.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,425 ✭✭✭corkie

As stated its hard to really root for anybody in the series and its confusing thus the lengthy articles out there explaining it. The whole delores and the maze seems a particular ton of horse manure. I suppose those without much in the way of a life in the real world, have time to figure it out!

All plot holes to be filled just lead to Ford? He just happens to have a back door for every pesky situation.

I probably will watch a few episodes into Season 2 but if its the same a maze within a maze without really developing character I will switch off as will millions.

"What Door"! :-)

• Advertisement

Yawn

Ford just writes a bit of programming into every host covering all entualities. What a man. What a bore.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,760 ✭✭✭Effects

Patronise Much?

Only when people blame their own laziness or inattention on poor TV production.

I suppose those without much in the way of a life in the real world, have time to figure it out!

I feel sorry for people like you that it takes that long to figure out!

• Registered Users Posts: 55,511 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Keep it friendly, folks. Everyone is entitled to an opinion.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,047 ✭✭✭GerB40

Mr E wrote: »
    Keep it friendly, folks. Everyone is entitled to an opinion.

Who made you the boss Mr E, if that even is your real name...

GerB40 wrote: »
    Who made you the boss Mr E, if that even is your real name...

Me, I made him the boss.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,888 ✭✭✭✭Riskymove

corkie wrote: »
    "What Door"! :-)

It doesn't look like anything to me

I feel sorry for people like you that it takes that long to figure out!

How bad is your life that you must resort to this? Is Westworld part of your well-being ?!

How bad is your life that you must resort to this? Is Westworld part of your well-being ?!

You're just trolling now.
    I'm really happy in my life though.
    You took a stab at people who understand the show, saying they don't have a life in the real world.
    My time is very precious to me so I choose what shows I watch carefully and I pay attention to what's happening in them. I'm sorry you don't get that.

You're just trolling now.
    I'm really happy in my life though.
    You took a stab at people who understand the show, saying they don't have a life in the real world.
    My time is very precious to me so I choose what shows I watch carefully and I pay attention to what's happening in them. I'm sorry you don't get that.
    I think if you look back at sequence of texts you will see I was attacked first for saying show was difficult to understand. My retorts followed on from there and in response to other attacks. Anyway I think I will leave it there.

I take back some of my critique of the show. It is still a little bit too cute by half with Ford being the puppet master used too much. However the acting is superb. Same for production values. Overall it's a good show . Though I really wonder why Ford would want to unleash a genocidal army of robots onto his own kind ?

Though I really wonder why Ford would want to unleash a genocidal army of robots onto his own kind ?

Because it's the next step in evolution and he created it.

Yes I appreciate its the next step but you are still talking genocide but I suppose these issues will be fleshed out. To be fair in Sci fi there are few original ideas left. Just original interpretations. The bad World being destroyed for a new race/beginning is nothing new but the use of different times (we were moving between) was original and as stated the acting is great and the characters growing on me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,057 ✭✭✭.......

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement

....... wrote: »
    I think it's because Ford has lost faith in humanity having seen the worst of it living out base fantasies in Westworld.

What does that say for him since he created it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,057 ✭✭✭.......

This post has been deleted.

Well I think the majority of People are capable of being depraved. Studies after World war 2 showed that its not just the Germans who were capable of depravity on a grand scale Various experiments. But I still struggle with his motivation. (FORD) It has echoes of other Sci Fi shows -BSG for one. Sad to see Hopkins go. He gave real air of gravitas to the whole thing.
    I hope the robots just dont end up being stronger /smarter/immortal versions of us. Whats the point in that? Yes- I know-I, robot. could be the way they go.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,370 ✭✭✭Dave_The_Sheep

What I'm curious about is if the hosts can figure out how to repair themselves once they get killed. Between Felix and Bernard (body and brain, respectively) they should be able to get things up and running, but that remains to be seen.

Without an outside influence, the show would be boring, however with the outside being able to come in and wipeout the Park if they so desired (I presume) I'm also wondering what kind of hostages the hosts / Team Dolores will be taking, and if Maeve will end up as a bit of a negotiator/moderate between the two sides.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,434 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

I'm telling everyone its going to turn out like this

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRyB-dA9UihQlyKEWvhrK9y8PdFsAyYE1KqeDwBhnXPTvGAwvFB

Don't know where this show will go next. it did crawl up its own arse a bit at times.

I tend to agree that it crawled up its arse at times. The Maze was well a bit of a maze but overall it was good. It should simplify a bit more to allow new viewers on board-not by much just a tad.

Is it possible there were 2 Deloras robots? Arnold used one to open his new narative and the other shot him. No idea if that stacks up with timelines or what not.

Also why did teddys bullets effect the mib differently from episode 1 as oppossed to 10

20:12 mins in on the first episode there is a close up of of a decommisioned robot its not jimmi simpson it looks very similar to him

• Advertisement

20:12 mins in on the first episode there is a close up of of a decommisioned robot its not jimmi simpson it looks very similar to him

pics?

Advertisement