Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Westworld (HBO/Sky Atlantic) [** Spoilers **]

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,752 ✭✭✭johnpatrick81

Well stop watching it then. You moaned about the first season and now you are back again. i dont watch the walking dead or Homeland because i think they are they are crap but i dont go into the threads about them and moan.

Fair point!

I love the concept but think it’s terribly executed.

I’ll keep an eye on the thread to see if it picks up.

Hopefully people won’t be afraid to give criticisms though, you know, in a discussion thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,127 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

Wow that was some watch major personal theory here below.
    Multiple parks and delos guy talking to Chinese military that the island is under delos jurisdiction holy **** westworld is set on an island just like jurassic park, given that there are at least 6 parks as mentioned when the cat creature from park 6 is seen it could even be considered jurassic park is on the same island :D

• Registered Users Posts: 9,106 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

I enjoyed season 1 but I was getting a hint of Lost from the way season 2 started, and that's not a compliment.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,611 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

So I feel this season might end up being a little like Jonathon Nolan's book Memento Mori that got turned into Momento the film. We see Arnold at the end, retracing his steps backwards, but we are also seeing him at the start moving forward.

What we are trying to establish is what key decision did Arnold make. Loyalty to humans, thinking he is still human or unable to overcome his programming. Or loyalty to the other hosts.

Presumably that massive sea is what Ford was digging during season 1. I know he had to dig up the town at the end, but that wouldn't have required as much digging and blasting as we saw him doing. Fascinating times.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,808 ✭✭✭Relikk

Multiple parks and delos guy talking to Chinese military that the island is under delos jurisdiction holy **** westworld is set on an island just like jurassic park, given that there are at least 6 parks as mentioned when the cat creature from park 6 is seen it could even be considered jurassic park is on the same island :D
    Considering they've cast a few Japanese actors for this series, I reckon we'll see some Samurai or Ninja from a feudal Japan park crossing over.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40,415 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

Relikk wrote: »
    Considering they've cast a few Japanese actors for this series, I reckon we'll see some Samurai or Ninja from a feudal Japan park crossing over.

spoiler from the episode 2 preview below
    Did the preview of next weeks episode not show Thandie Newton dressed in japanese clothes?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,133 ✭✭✭GottaGetGatt

That's not really a theory though. It's pretty much set out in stone in the episode.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,163 ✭✭✭Talisman

Relikk wrote: »
    Is there really a need to spoiler that? In the finale of Season 1, Maeve, Hector, Armistice and Felix wandered into the QA area for the Samurai world. When Maeve asked Felix to explain he said "It's complicated".

The Westworld movie which provided the inspiration for the series also featured several different worlds.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,723 ✭✭✭oleras

Did the preview of next weeks episode not show Thandie Newton dressed in japanese clothes?

Maybe quantify the spoiler as it relates to episode 2 preview. Some people dont like to watch the previews. Me included.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭sbsquarepants

I loved the first season - the whole emergence of consciousness in the hosts I found fascinating. I find the bicameral mind theory fascinating in and of itself and then add in some gunfights and hot hookerbots and what's not to love:D

However, I worry that the second series might stray into just another typical revenge story. Humans treated the hosts badly and now it's time for payback. I hope I'm wrong.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,048 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

So at this point in time, who do we know to be self aware and who is just programming. Seems Dolores and Maeve are definitely fully aware.

• Registered Users Posts: 37 Steve456

CastorTroy wrote: »
    So at this point in time, who do we know to be self aware and who is just programming. Seems Dolores and Maeve are definitely fully aware.

And Bernard. But it's not clear if any of the others are.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,048 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Bernard seems confused. As if his human character is glitching into his programming.

• Registered Users Posts: 37 Steve456

Bernard seems confused. As if his human character is glitching into his programming.

Perhaps. Or perhaps he's just ill/malfunctioning, and having difficulty knowing when he's remembering stuff (which seems to be pretty much part of the host experience by definition - memory means reliving the past). Certainly he wasn't too confused about whether he needed first aid or a technical fix - didn't have any illusion that he needed medical care.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,617 ✭✭✭✭Penn

He shot himself in the head last season. It was Felix who brought him back on Maeve's orders, but I'm guessing he didn't do a good enough job, or it was more of a temporary fix just so Maeve could get whatever info she needed from him.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,611 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

I think Meave and Dolores are self aware in a completely different way. Dolores reached self awareness herself, reveries helped her etc, but she seems very comfortably with what she is.

Meave needed help to become self aware. We saw that last season. Every single thing she did up to the point where she stepped off the train was written in her script by Ford. She was supposed to wake up while being worked on. Her awakening was planned. She seems less comfortable with what she is, I can't see Dolores showing the kind of affection for her daughter in a past story as Meave does. Meave is still being driven by the background Sizemore wrote for her, but Dolores is fully free of that?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,068 ✭✭✭Tipsy McSwagger

Bernard just has some liquid damage

• Registered Users Posts: 6,163 ✭✭✭Talisman

At some level Maeve is following the code path that Bernard showed her on the tablet in the season 1 finale.

• Registered Users Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

Decent 1st episode back, was probably hoping for a bit more but theres plenty there to keep me interested.

• Advertisement

Bernard just has some liquid damage

Stick him in a bowl of rice in the hot press. Be grand.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,068 ✭✭✭Tipsy McSwagger

Stick him in a bowl of rice in the hot press. Be grand.

Yup in Samurai World

• Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

My guess is we'll see Ancient/Rome World cos of the Tiger

Looks like there's still a big plot in play by the controller guy. Wouldn't be surprised if we see Hopkins again.
    Also that he has maybe accounted for the other company in his plans as they didn't get their delivery.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,127 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

That's not really a theory though. It's pretty much set out in stone in the episode.

When jeff goldblum pops in for a cameo then we know it's really real. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,425 ✭✭✭corkie

So are we just supposed to forget that the Man in Black had his arm broken at the end of S1?

At 40:58 episode 10, although she seemed to pull his arm from the socket, he was still able to use the arm a few clips later, so it must not have been broken.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,703 ✭✭✭✭Ally Dick

I give up. I am not enjoying it. Too complicated. Will record and fast forward through for violent and nudie scenes instead

• Registered Users Posts: 2,172 ✭✭✭EPAndlee

Ally Dick wrote: »
    I give up. I am not enjoying it. Too complicated. Will record and fast forward through for violent and nudie scenes instead

Violence is the best part

• Closed Accounts Posts: 364 ✭✭georgina toadbum

I loved the first seaon but the second season hasn't gripped me. I like the odd bit of confusion but the first episode left me baffled. I might hold off on watching the next few episodes and do a marathon of it.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 7,941 Mod ✭✭✭✭Yakult

Was a grand episode I thought, it seemed to be an episode where the seasons groups and alternative story lines are being set up more than anything else. The time jumps were done well too.

Bernard's perspective of the story will be jumpy due to memory malfunction. Hence why it seemed like parts of the story were missing.

I'm surprised so many people here didn't like it or found it confusing!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,617 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Yakult wrote: »
    Was a grand episode I thought, it seemed to be an episode where the seasons groups and alternative story lines are being set up more than anything else. The time jumps were done well too.

Bernard's perspective of the story will be jumpy due to memory malfunction. Hence why it seemed like parts of the story were missing.

I'm surprised so many people here didn't like it or found it confusing!

Have to agree. The first episode was always just going to be picking up from the finale, setting up new story threads, introducing new characters and leaving enough unrevealed to draw people in.

I enjoyed it a lot. It wasn't the best episode by any stretch but definitely made me excited for the rest of the season.

Advertisement