Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Westworld (HBO/Sky Atlantic) [** Spoilers **]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭Grassey

But Maeve has 'developed' feelings for yer man, contrary to what they originally were programmed for. Is it a case of 'that child is mine, I want it back' and damned be anyone who gets in my way. From the latest episode she appears to be emphatic to other women in similar situations which would be outside the original code, so is this an evolution of the self awareness and character traits manifesting?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

Another thing that's annoying me is Maeve's quest to find her daughter. She knows she doesn't actually have a daughter and any maternal instinct she has is programmed, but she's still determined to do it. Is she just trying to prove she can break from Ford's plan to "infiltrate the mainland", but by doing this she's complying with earlier programming?

I suppose I take it that she is becoming more human by this action. There is nothing more human then doing something you logically know is not good or rational. There are millions of examples of humans/society doing the most obviously retardedly things.

If anything, if she was to ignore the daughter element out of logic that would actually make her more robot.

Another thing that's annoying me is Maeve's quest to find her daughter. She knows she doesn't actually have a daughter and any maternal instinct she has is programmed, but she's still determined to do it. Is she just trying to prove she can break from Ford's plan to "infiltrate the mainland", but by doing this she's complying with earlier programming?

Or just use her admin tools to reprogram that aspect out of her. Every character's motivation is muddled in season two. I'm finding it frustrating.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,321 ✭✭✭Brego888

People really just don't appreciate the production and finer details that goes into this show. Sigh!!

Nah, people can appreciate the production but also have the opinion that the writing and pace has been poor and dull.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,799 ✭✭✭corwill

Or just use her admin tools to reprogram that aspect out of her. Every character's motivation is muddled in season two. I'm finding it frustrating.

But she doesn't want to. She's aware she has been programmed but nevertheless feels as strongly as she does. She's being no more logical about her strong emotions than most humans.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 497 ✭✭jpm4

It looks great and somewhat fun to watch but I can't really care about what happens to anyone, since they are all either mean, damaged or deranged.

Funnily enough Teddy is actually one of my fav characters - why? Because he is likable and sympathetic, and has a goal that makes sense to me ( taking Dolores to a quiet bit of Westworld for a simple life and a bit of sexy time). What are the other characters motivations? Why should I care about them? Not sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭Grassey

jpm4 wrote: »
    Teddy... Dolores ... a bit of sexy time

This has been annoying me since that episode.

Did he use a WD40 based lubricant???

• Registered Users Posts: 12,423 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

well all that whiskey they drink has to go somewhere

• Registered Users Posts: 6,163 ✭✭✭Talisman

The most interesting part of the episode for me was probably learning that around 30% of all hosts have ben wiped clean, in an almost god like operation.

33% is pretty close to 30% -> Rule of Thirds -> Vitruvian Man -> Westworld model

What could it possibly mean? I've had too much caffeine!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

Talisman wrote: »
    What could it possibly mean? I've had too much caffeine!

When I saw that, I jumped to the conclusion that the 30%
    made brand new bodies and put their old brains into them.. and that they are out and about the world somewhere
    much like the ending of the film
    Ex Machina

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭jcsoulinger

That last spoiler tag is dangerous, maybe put an extra warning in there, luckily I have seen the movie.

I had thought about putting the tags around the words as opposed to the name of the film but.. I dunno.. it would've probably spoiled the episode instead. The film is about 4 years old but the episode is new sooooo.. I dunno

Maybe your post is good enough :)

• Registered Users Posts: 276 ✭✭Troyaferd

the series is a bit pretentious, is't it? On the other hands it's entertaining to watch.
    Series 1  6/10
    Series 2  5/10 (so far)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,781 ✭✭✭PetKing

Poor season so far. The overarching story of the slow awakening of the hosts in season one was far more enjoyable. It feel like the show descended into bedlam far too quickly. Now it's just everyone running around shooting and killing everyone, and while that's great for some of the audience, you can get that on other shows too. Westworld had lots to offer in its inception but it's all a bit bland now.

I watched Lost for 7 years (and was one of the very few who enjoyed it!), but everyone is tired of the Lost drip feed of mystery and enigma. It's a bit lame in today's TV I think.

Bernard's story is probably the most fascinating aspect to the show now, watching through his distorted confused eyes is edgy stuff. Delores on the other hand, has gone from a compelling character following the maze to consciousness, to a rather dull 'brain copy pasted' bad guy, it's all a bit lame in comparison. Having a Bernard episode followed by a Delores episode really highlighted that for me.

I hope they can salvage the storyline in the long term. I'm not too pushed about watching them trapsing across the park back and forth discovering secret places and new mysteries for seven years, I did all this already.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,703 ✭✭✭✭Ally Dick

Sorry to say that I have given up on the show. It's absolute drivel

Am I the only one enjoying the man in blacks story arc? I’m liking his quest and to see what Ford has in store for him....

It feels to simple that Fords trying to get mIB to care for the hosts. I mean this is westworld, it can’t be that simple, can it?

Maybe spoilers.. hard to tell..

• Registered Users Posts: 497 ✭✭jpm4

My main problem at this point is how anticlimactic the whole "Androids going Ape****" thing feels now. The stakes don't feel like they have been raised since the end of the first session - how many times has MIB now been shot or nearly shot now and it doesn't seem to bother him much. Feels just like the first season.

It was way more interesting in the first session where we got to see how the park worked as normal and got the sense of the androids getting twitchy, because it was obviously all building to something.

Ally Dick wrote: »
    Sorry to say that I have given up on the show. It's absolute drivel

drivel that crawled up its own arse and ate its own sh1t.

• Advertisement

glasso wrote: »
    drivel that crawled up its own arse and ate its own sh1t.

What is Donald Trump?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,127 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

What's the guess the guy conducting the investigation Karl Strand is the son in law of MIB/William he seems very cutthroath like William was with daddy Delos.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,133 ✭✭✭GottaGetGatt

What's the guess the guy conducting the investigation Karl Strand is the son in law of MIB/William he seems very cutthroath like William was with daddy Delos.

I dunno has it ever been mentioned he had a son. Just the daughter is all I’ve heard mentioned.

Son in law so her husband only my theory not been confirmed or verified

heh :D

while still a filler episode, the scenes are all done really well

Those are some incredibly sharp Scottish accents we have heard this season. Love seeing and hearing the piano you always know something ominous is coming. Ed Harris is such a presence you really want to throw something at him flammable if possible the daughter really puts young William into perspective the good guy act transparency from what we have seen of him in the flashbacks so far he was/is a cut throat bastard. Shogun world was spectacular. All business Teddy was fun to see.

:eek: I thought yer man sounded Irish!

Slydice wrote: »
    :eek: I thought yer man sounded Irish!

If that poster meant the military/security guy, definitely a northern Irish accent.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,835 ✭✭✭Falthyron

The scenes with Bernard/Arnold experience a unique framing from time to time. For example: when he speaks with Delores at the start of the episode and when he enters The Matrix, the film is shown in letterbox format with distinctive black bars on the top and bottom of the image. I went back to episode one and the same effect takes place there as well. This might be indicative and helpful to working out the past/present/future of the Bernarnold timeline and, of course, if the theory about him being in a simulation is true.

Really enjoyable episode and the teaser for next week suggests we have a great episode coming, particularly with yet another, probably, mesmerizing scene with
    Anthony Hopkins

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,835 ✭✭✭Falthyron

If that poster meant the military/security guy, definitely a northern Irish accent.

Yeah, Northern Ireland. Looked the guy up on IMDB and it says he is from Kerry.

Advertisement