Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Westworld (HBO/Sky Atlantic) [** Spoilers **]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,133 ✭✭✭GottaGetGatt

So that was the best episode this season .What a performance from Zach MaClarnon. He was fantastic as Hanzee Dent in Fargo too.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,426 ✭✭✭Roar

Dances with Westwolves

• Registered Users Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

Just when I think I am out... They drag me back in

• Registered Users Posts: 3,799 ✭✭✭corwill

mloc123 wrote: »
    Just when I think I am out... They drag me back in

I get why a lot of folks are frustrated by and/or cynical about the 'mystery box' nature of Westworld, but that episode had so much heart to it that I'll have faith for a while longer that the pay-off is going to be worth the investment here.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

Right at the end there.. Oh you magnificent bastards!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,108 ✭✭✭TheSheriff

God, I really was disinterested for that episode - never thought i'd say that about Westworld. Really just felt like filler for the sake of filler.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,991 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

Best episode of the season and possibly the show. Real emotion in this one - something that's been lacking a lot and yet it also expanded the lore too. Looked perfect and the soundtrack to boot - that piano rendition of "Heart-Shaped Box".

• Registered Users Posts: 4,084 ✭✭✭Sudden Valley

yeah got to agree with those posters that were not too interested in the episode. I just have never empathise with any of the robots plights however rich their back story is so hate the episodes that don't focus on at least one of the human characters. Anthony Hopkins as always was excellent.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,333 ✭✭✭Daroxtar

Absolutely loved that episode. For some reason, it reminded me of "The Constant" from Lost.

yeah got to agree with those posters that were not too interested in the episode. I just have never empathise with any of the robots plights however rich their back story is so hate the episodes that don't focus on at least one of the human characters. Anthony Hopkins as always was excellent.

If you're not empathising at least a bit with at least some of the hosts by now, then the show isn't working for you, it's at least a huge point of the show for me. That's not a criticism of you at all, btw, I'm really enjoying it, but I'm not unaware of the good reasons people take issue with it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,068 ✭✭✭Tipsy McSwagger

Once in a while you watch an episode of a TV show that is a complete masterpiece and this was one of them. Absolutely fcuking brilliant.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,781 ✭✭✭PetKing

Daroxtar wrote: »
    Absolutely loved that episode. For some reason, it reminded me of "The Constant" from Lost.

That moment when Westworld native American Charlie touches Westworld native American Claire's hand and they remember all their love and life together, so touching... again.

In fairness, probably the best episode of the season. Nicely explained Ghost Nation and the maze.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,522 ✭✭✭brevity

Hmmm...maybe it's the mood I'm in but this one didn't do much for me, Heart Shaped Box aside. I see what they were going for but it fell a little flat for me.

It was well done for sure but probably caught me on an off day.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,597 ✭✭✭Richard tea

Yeah felt like a filler episode to me. Really liked every other episode so far though

• Registered Users Posts: 6,173 ✭✭✭1huge1

Wow, that episode sent chills down my back. Just when my faith in Westworld was starting to waiver, it knocks it out of the park (not literally of course).

The use of heart shaped box couldn't of been timed better.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,047 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

I was so hoping when he finished telling his story that the girl would just say "Yeah, I didn't understand any of that".

• Registered Users Posts: 4,333 ✭✭✭Daroxtar

PetKing wrote: »
    That moment when Westworld native American Charlie touches Westworld native American Claire's hand and they remember all their love and life together, so touching... again.

In fairness, probably the best episode of the season. Nicely explained Ghost Nation and the maze.

Desmond and Penny ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 17,434 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

Best episode of season 2 so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,638 ✭✭✭Hande hoche!

Great episode, glad they dedicated some time to the ghost nation. Would be a difficult episode to watch while fiddling with your phone.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,248 ✭✭✭✭BoJack Horseman

Great episode and good to get back to some character narrative rather than time jumping gun-battles.

Zach McClarnnon acted the sh*t out of that episode.

Only 2 episodes left though

• Advertisement

Great episode, glad they dedicated some time to the ghost nation. Would be a difficult episode to watch while fiddling with your phone.

Definitely, I find with a lot of shows I now spend more time on my phone especially with the rubbish that is the walking dead. This episode I never even touched it. Fantastic episode

• Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭Harambe

That episode was incredible, blew me away!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,389 ✭✭✭PhiloCypher

How have you managed to stick with the show this long if that's the case . The human's are the most unsympathetic characters on the show .

• Registered Users Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

Would be a difficult episode to watch while fiddling with your phone.

This is the problem now, people half watch shows... miss obvious things then complain

corwill wrote: »
    If you're not empathising at least a bit with at least some of the hosts by now, then the show isn't working for you, it's at least a huge point of the show for me. That's not a criticism of you at all, btw, I'm really enjoying it, but I'm not unaware of the good reasons people take issue with it.

I flip-flop on this. The fact that the indian fella is being controlled by Maeve towards the end undermines his entire plight. He's just that, a host being controlled by external forces.

While I did enjoy the episode as a whole, I feel like this season is being fleshed out for no good reason. This is at least the third time we've been told a the story of a host waking up. I get it already. They can remember and become "sentient".

I flip-flop on this. The fact that the indian fella is being controlled by Maeve towards the end undermines his entire plight. He's just that, a host being controlled by external forces.

While I did enjoy the episode as a whole, I feel like this season is being fleshed out for no good reason. This is at least the third time we've been told a the story of a host waking up. I get it already. They can remember and become "sentient".

She was communicating not controlling afaik

Different hosts are awakening in their own ways, and reacting very differently to their awakenings. I think that's an important point. Akecheta's awakening is particularly interesting, in that there's not yet any apparent ambiguity about it being interfered with or partially controlled by programming (whether that programming is intended to or not), unlike with Maeve or Delores, where I've had my doubts on occasion. As another poster pointed out, I think you may have mistaken communication for control in the final scene of last night's episode.

Blazer wrote: »
    She was communicating not controlling afaik

That's inconsistent with the entire episode dedicated to Maeve's new powers, but okay it's possible too.

corwill wrote: »
    Different hosts are awakening in their own ways, and reacting very differently to their awakenings. I think that's an important point. Akecheta's awakening is particularly interesting, in that there's not yet any apparent ambiguity about it being interfered with or partially controlled by programming (whether that programming is intended to or not), unlike with Maeve or Delores, where I've had my doubts on occasion. As another poster pointed out, I think you may have mistaken communication for control in the final scene of last night's episode.

Indeed, I’m actually wondering if he was the first to be aware. He was alive for 9 years before he realizes he needed to die to see the others.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,676 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Maeve is not controlling Akecheta. Akecheta is awake and it's already been established that Maeve can't control hosts that are awake. She's communicating with him.

Advertisement