Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Westworld (HBO/Sky Atlantic) [** Spoilers **]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,333 ✭✭✭Daroxtar

Remember Ford's last big speech?
    Since I was a child I've always loved a good story. I believed that stories helped us to ennoble ourselves, to fix what was broken in us, and to help us become the people we dreamed of being. Lies that told a deeper truth. I always thought I could play some small part in that grand tradition. And for my pains I got this: a prison of our own sins. 'Cause you don't want to change. Or cannot change. Because you're only human, after all. But then I realized someone was paying attention, someone who could change. So I began to compose a new story for them. It begins with the birth of a new people and the choices they will have to make and the people they will decide to become. And we'll have all those things that you have always enjoyed... Surprises and violence. It begins in a time of war with a villain named Wyatt and a killing. This time by choice. I'm sad to say this will be my final story. An old friend once told me something that gave me great comfort. Something he had read. He said that Mozart, Beethoven, and Chopin never died. They simply became music. So, I hope you will enjoy this last piece very much.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,676 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

ixoy wrote: »
    Yes, so is she thus forcing herself into a narrative - vengeance, liberator - because she believes that's her role? Is she actually choosing it really?

Maeve to me seems to be the one with the free will: She understands that the feelings for her daughter were programmed, but rightly knows that it's just a different form than biological programming. She acknowledges it and embraces it by choice. She's not getting caught up in the wider revolution and is not really trying to shape the world - she just wants her daughter.
    It makes sense then for her to side with the Ghost Nation who want also to be left alone to embrace their lives on their own terms.

Dolores is definitely making her own choices. That's what her whole journey in season 1 was about. But right now they are in the middle of a war. Unless Delos and humanity at large don't pose a threat to the hosts, then Dolores's actions are necessary if the hosts are going to survive. Maeve isn't really thinking about anything except finding her daughter and presumedly getting out of the park, which is pretty selfish and not really what Ghost Nation are about. But her alliance with them might change her thinking.

Anyway, I don't think Maeve's daughter is long for this world. She's probably going to die and Maeve will blame Dolores for destroying the Cradle. Then next season Maeve will probably form an alliance with the humans as they try to stop Dolores before she destroys humanity. You read it here first! :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,047 ✭✭✭Jamiekelly

Keyzer wrote: »
    Great acting from him... one of our own too :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Didn't realise he had an Irish father. Jesus, us Irish really are the travelling manwhores of the western world..

• Registered Users Posts: 33,617 ✭✭✭✭Penn

An incredible episode. That ending was just superb, and to focus an entire episode on such a character so late into the season would always be risky but it fit into the narrative of the entire show, both past and present storylines, so seamlessly and brilliantly.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,068 ✭✭✭Tipsy McSwagger

If anyone watches West:Word on Sky Atlantic Nolan/Joy will be on it next week for an hour long show

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

Echo the thoughts of others, that was a fantastic episode, probably one of the best in the series

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,700 ✭✭✭tricky D

There's a detail at 52mins when Akecheta enters the post dinner party/Ford's death scene with Dolores Abernathy's name on a grave cross and he then mentions the Deathbringer having returned..

• Registered Users Posts: 5,290 ✭✭✭Ardent

Not getting all the love for that last episode. Thought it was quite tedious actually. The message could have been conveyed in 10 minutes rather than an entire episode.

The whole thing is a meandering mess to be honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,808 ✭✭✭Relikk

Amazing episode. Beautiful, actually.

I love when TV shows do an episode in a season focusing mainly on one or two characters. I think American Gods was the last show I saw that did that really well (episode about Shadow and Laura).

• Registered Users Posts: 3,161 ✭✭✭Amazingfun

I loved it, even cried a bit . So moving and horrific a tale all in one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,135 ✭✭✭Gregk961

Brilliant episode, just got around to watching it now.

Haven't been blown away by this season as a whole but this one and episode 4 have been my favourites of the whole series.

I really liked the single character driven story for a change, not sure if it's something I'd actually like more of or not but it was brilliantly executed in this instance. I've went from not knowing/caring about the often mentioned ghost nation to fully understanding their background and motivations. All in an hour.

Avoided the trailer for tomorrow's episode but I'm assuming it's back to Delores and her story arc which I am not particularly excited about.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,434 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

Gregk961 wrote: »

Avoided the trailer for tomorrow's episode but I'm assuming it's back to Delores and her story arc which I am not particularly excited about.

completely agree..I've gotten very meh about Delores.
    The backstory episodes are brilliant for most shows. The Walking Dead's backstory on Morgan everyone was dreading for instance, but it turned out to be one of the best episodes in the past few season.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,959 ✭✭✭Liamalone

Another backstory episode, I enjoyed the Ghost Nation over but didn't like this one at all - filled in a blank or two but was a waste of an episode. Meh

• Registered Users Posts: 4,077 ✭✭✭Roberto_gas

Great father's day episode...Maeve vs Ford...and then u have william killing his daughter..!!

HBO and father's day....tyrian killed his father in GoT also on Father's day...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,799 ✭✭✭corwill

Bit spoilery, no?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,611 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

Haha, posters in here aren't the only ones sic of Dolores ****

• Registered Users Posts: 2,133 ✭✭✭GottaGetGatt

corwill wrote: »
    Bit spoilery, no?

Your best not checking back here on a Monday if your watching it on Sky Atlantic. A lot of people watch it before the episode airs on Sky.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,330 ✭✭✭Melodeon

It airs on Sky Atlantic at 2.00am.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,799 ✭✭✭corwill

Your best not checking back here on a Monday if your watching it on Sky Atlantic. A lot of people watch it before the episode airs on Sky.

Probably even better if posters have a bit of regard for other posters, and the forum charter, but that's just me.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,617 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Another amazing episode. Felt like a two hour episode and not because it dragged but just so much happening and getting totally engrossed in it.

I know the middle of the season dipped in quality, but I'm still absolutely loving the show, and the last few episodes have been fantastic.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,676 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

The brain scanners are hidden in the cowboy hats? Really?

I'm questioning how hard the writers are thinking about this world building stuff after that reveal. On top of being ridiculous, it just doesn't make sense. What about all the guests we saw who weren't wearing hats? What about the other parks where people don't wear hats? In 30 years has a guest never stepped on or ripped apart a cowboy hat to discover the brain scanner?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,824 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

that was bit of rash kill there or was it, was her threat the reason he shot

• Registered Users Posts: 2,133 ✭✭✭GottaGetGatt

corwill wrote: »
    Probably even better if posters have a bit of regard for other posters, and the forum charter, but that's just me.

I’ve been around a while and pretty much every tv show here is run on American time. It’s fair game after the show airs. If you don’t have the restraint to not click into the forum after the show airs, that’s on you. Good luck to you.

that was bit of rash kill there or was it, was her threat the reason he shot

He thought she was reaching for a gun and that she was a host. Also I guess the idea is that he's losing touch with reality, though until the last few episodes I'm not sure that has really come across.

I'm preparing myself for the reveal that he's a human host like James Delos who is starting to degrade. He's taken far too many bullets to be human.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 763 ✭✭✭joe_99

I’ve been around a while and pretty much every tv show here is run on American time. It’s fair game after the show airs. If you don’t have the restraint to not click into the forum after the show airs, that’s on you. Good luck to you.

Exactly. It airs here on Sky at 2am on Monday morning so no excuses.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,077 ✭✭✭Roberto_gas

corwill wrote:
    Bit spoilery, no?

Depends on when u watch the show....most posts in this thread are spoilers for people who have not yet started season 2...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,108 ✭✭✭TheSheriff

The brain scanners are hidden in the cowboy hats? Really?

I'm questioning how hard the writers are thinking about this world building stuff after that reveal. On top of being ridiculous, it just doesn't make sense. What about all the guests we saw who weren't wearing hats? What about the other parks where people don't wear hats? In 30 years has a guest never stepped on or ripped apart a cowboy hat to discover the brain scanner?

This +1000!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,135 ✭✭✭Gregk961

Another solid episode but not nearly as impactful as the last one. We already had seen most of William's backstory so nothing was that shocking, if that's what they were going for.

What was the big reveal on William's card? That he is a sociopath? We kind of knew that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,808 ✭✭✭Relikk

Gregk961 wrote: »
    What was the big reveal on William's card? That he is a sociopath? We kind of knew that.

Yeah, but his wife and daughter didn't.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,177 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

I really enjoyed that episode until the daughter shooting. Just made him irredeemable. Providing he is human of course. Him being a host would raise a slightly different set of moral questions though the whole show wouldn't make sense then really.

The whole psychotic breakdown as such came a little out of nowhere. Also didn't really get a chance to digest what was a major moment. William really now has nothing left. I was enjoying the 2 grieving family members dynamic. What was the point of having her save him last episode if she was just going to be offed this one?

It goes back to my major problem with this show. It does so much well but then the payoff and some narrative decisions just feel cheap and badly thought through.

Some of the cinematography in this episode was sublime and I was really invested to the point that it was more a disappointment in the character after he killed her. Maybe being pissed off at that has clouded my judgement on the episode but it just destroyed probably the most interesting relationship in the show currently.

Advertisement