Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Westworld (HBO/Sky Atlantic) [** Spoilers **]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,061 ✭✭✭leggo

Why are people putting their predictions as spoilers?! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,078 ✭✭✭TheIrishGrover

Dav010 wrote: »
    Am I the only one that is finding it hard to make out what is being said over the background music?

I actually had to turn on subtitles. Was the same with Doctor Who. All dialogue was being swamped by music and effects.

I felt like an old man turning on the subtitles :)

I usually use subtitles but couldn't figure how to get them on this yoke. Wondered if it was just me again

Love the new series so far. Very interesting speculation!!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,143 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

As has been said before the music mainly the piano in earlier episodes is a character in itself it creates and sets the moods of scenes like a lot of HBO shows it can steal attention from the on screen character or scene that's taking place. But yes the voices can be very quiet too so subtitles definitely help.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,813 ✭✭✭Relikk

Dav010 wrote: »
    Am I the only one that is finding it hard to make out what is being said over the background music?

Yeah, the first episode was really bad. Since then the first thing I do is extract the audio from the file and boost the voice track to an acceptable level so it's not drowned out by everything else. I really wish everything had a stereo soundtrack as an option. Not everyone has 5.1 (or more) systems.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,635 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Episode 2 and that was an excellent episode. Really great sleight of hand going on there that had me going "that's stupid" until it all came together. So far so good with this series and has seen a marked improvement in story cohesion since the intentional vagueness was dispensed with. It all feels more immediate, and propelled.

Really looking forward to seeing this week's episode I'm hoping we get a bridge between the internal stories and find out wtf is actually going on and how it all ties together.

That was one of the best episodes of the series. That has definitely brought so much up to speed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

Great little twist that. Great stuff, season 3 has been fantastic.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

Me:
    *sits down at table with chess board*
    *moves white pawn*
    Delores:
    *converts all black pieces to queens*

3.4: Wow! that was good!
    At first I was like "Huh! Hale is a copy of MIB".. Oh no! Oh no not at all.
    She took yer man for $315 Billion!
    Paris has been nuked! (or dirty bombed?)

Can't be the last of Maeve! Just can't be!
    The scene in the bar like! It was soooo subtle! I had to pause! I had to hum it!
    I had to think about it. Then it just came back to me! I know that song on the piano!

Maeve wears it so well!

Question:
    white stuff that Sato/Delores had? Raw material for making more hosts my guess?

• Advertisement

Who the **** was Bernard/Arnold's daughter possibly Charlotte

ABC

Little glimpse like that

Also sweet unholy fcuk Paris

That was unexpected

• Registered Users Posts: 4,499 ✭✭✭sioda

Ah here that was excellent.

All of out guessing on who's who goes out the window.

Love the MIB storyline

The DNA endocrine profile is the scariest undertone I've ever seen takes nepotism to a whole new level

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,993 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

It's refreshing when producers clearly take criticisms on board as evidenced here when we have all the plots moving swiftly, when they don't pointlessly hold back on reveals but tell us what's happening much earlier, when they tie in different character's stories nice and early and when they have a bit of damn focus.

S3 has been a big improvement on S2 and this episode had it all going - reveals, Maeve kicking ass, big questions on self determination, Maeve kicking more ass.. If this is the final season, at least it seems to be going out strongly.

Love shows that take their own storylines from earlier episodes or seasons and dump all over them

Delores and Maeve dumping on how little the real world differs from Westworld.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,136 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

I guess Dolores has another location to build host bodies considering she was able to build Tommy Flanagan.

So 1 core unaccounted for?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,787 ✭✭✭accensi0n

Great episode

• Registered Users Posts: 11,926 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

so high tech security they do without photos....

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

so high tech security they do without photos....

It's a very discreet bank.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,810 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Amazing episode. The twists, the story progression, the reveal of the Doloreseses, and more than anything, Ed F*cking Harris absolutely crushing it with an incredible performance. I felt he was kinda sidelined in the Season 2 finale, all he did after killing his daughter was ride with Dolores to the Forge then getting a few fingers blown off (not counting the post-credits scene which seems like it possibly happens in the far future given the state of the facility). But this was a welcome progression for his character and a great way to bring him back into the mix.

I was slightly concerned when I saw Musashi, as it felt odd that he'd be one of the pearls that Dolores would have brought, but the reveal it's actually Dolores satisfied that. Maeve was badass too, and I enjoyed her scene with Serac.

I'm still kinda missing the whole "park" aspect, but this season is shaping up great so far. The last two episodes especially have been stellar.

• Advertisement

Maeve definitely isn’t done. There’s some significance to the fact that Dolores was going to finish her off but got called away beforehand.

It wouldn’t surprise me if that was the last we saw of William though. Ed Harris is great so none of us mind having him around, but I think his story has been tenuous since Season 2 and they’ve just been fitting him in because the character is so interesting. He was completely tangential to the main story last season and it felt like they were just giving us closure on him now. There’s nothing left for him to do really.

leggo wrote: »
    Maeve definitely isn’t done. There’s some significance to the fact that Dolores was going to finish her off but got called away beforehand.

It wouldn’t surprise me if that was the last we saw of William though. Ed Harris is great so none of us mind having him around, but I think his story has been tenuous since Season 2 and they’ve just been fitting him in because the character is so interesting. He was completely tangential to the main story last season and it felt like they were just giving us closure on him now. There’s nothing left for him to do really.

I disagree, we're seeing an inverse of the host's story with him. They didn't know they were hosts, but came to learn who they are and are now fighting for their freedom. William was free, but in trying to be who he felt he was now doesn't know if he's a host or not. The hosts are fighting for a sense of reality while William has lost his grip on reality.

I think it's a great avenue to explore, and while I agree he was wasted at the end of Season 2, this opens up an interesting storyline for him, and it will likely pit him against Hale-ores if he can get out of the institution. Plus we still have the post-credits scene of Season 2 with him to resolve.

And yeah, Maeve isn't done. It was Serac's men who broke into the place and prevented Dolores from being able to take out her pearl, so they'll fix her up and send her back out.

I have zero issue with more Ed Harris, so however they can fit him in is fine by me. I just don’t see much narrative reason to keep him involved. Delos are being phased out with Serac assuming control of them, I guess you could have him come back to whistleblow that’s Hale isn’t who she says she is...but proving it would be the issue there and Dolores seems less and less concerned with remaining covert.

Again though, if they can come up with a credible reason to keep him involved, I’m okay with that.

Been thinking about this

MIB is he the real William did Delores program the daughter manifestation into his system to drive him insane he would be harder to break than the English bugger so no risk of a system overload but maybe real William never left the forge after all Delores said to Charlotte you need to visit our old friend

Been thinking about this

MIB is he the real William did Delores program the daughter manifestation into his system to drive him insane he would be harder to break than the English bugger so no risk of a system overload but maybe real William never left the forge after all Delores said to Charlotte you need to visit our old friend

Hale pricking his neck to either get a sample of his blood or inject something into him kinda makes it seem like he's the real William, and as with what happened with Caleb in the episode, she either needed his blood or to inject his blood for something a host can't do. I think if William was a host, Dolores wouldn't be as fussed about toying with him in any way, she'd just program him to do whatever she needed.

I think it's William is the Delos family shareholder so he has a controlling interest in the company whose to say that wasn't a program injected into him.

Caleb was changed to the Scottish guy as he is Liam's minder being a private security guy I'd imagine his DNA profile is online on the system but not his picture again I think it was an endocrine profile injected into Caleb which is why Delores said try to stay calm as adrenaline depletes what she had injected into him.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,476 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

Im really enjoying this season. Much more than season two. A very strong episode with some clever revelations and great acting. Also that music piece 'Wicked Games'. Wow, ive never heard the original, but Jesus that worked so well!

All Eyes On Rafah

• Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

Slydice wrote: »

Ah no, discussion online has me thinking it was the Original Björk who inspired the use:

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

Anyone else thinking it's all a simulation and Serac is actually the AI caretaker that keeps humans and their hosts inside a simulation because the whole planet is effectively "Paris"?
    Dolores is the divergence that risks breaking the system.

I know, I know Matrix like.:o

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,476 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

Turtwig wrote: »
    Anyone else thinking it's all a simulation and Serac is actually the AI caretaker that keeps humans and their hosts inside a simulation because the whole planet is effectively "Paris"?
    Dolores is the divergence that risks breaking the system.

I know, I know Matrix like.:o

Makes sense. But that would be too easy. This show doesnt like to do easy :D

All Eyes On Rafah

Advertisement