Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Westworld (HBO/Sky Atlantic) [** Spoilers **]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,527 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

Don't you lecture me you ****ing can opener .

• Registered Users Posts: 10,969 ✭✭✭✭alchemist33

Agree with the above. The Caleb and Francis subplot hasn't had any weight so far so I really don't care. And Bernard's little group just keep showing up and wandering about and don't do much. For a moment the prospect of warring Doloreses seemed pretty good but they're running put of them. It's hard to see the show surviving of Caleb is the main character.

• Registered Users Posts: 512 ✭✭✭Full_Circle_81

At this point, I feel like a lot of the actions/motivations of the characters don't seem to be making much sense any more. I'm going to throw spoiler tags around most of this, just in case, but can anyone offer any reasons as to the following:
    Why has Delores left so many obstacles in her path that she could have so clearly eliminated already? Bernard, William and Stubbs could all have been dispatched at so many different points. I'm still unclear why she even brought Bernard back.

Why did Delores have so many problems once she put herself into the Hale body? Did she co-mingle with a copy of Hales persona so as better to fool everyone into believing she was Hale?

Why hasn't Delores just given Maeve what she wanted, so as to her eliminate her as a threat? Maeve only seems to care about her daughter, so wants the key to where all those hosts are virtually being kept, if I understand correctly.....How would giving the key to Maeve be an issue for Delores?

Why, after all the talk about needing help, did Maeve go after Delores alone?

• Registered Users Posts: 33,615 ✭✭✭✭Penn

At this point, I feel like a lot of the actions/motivations of the characters don't seem to be making much sense any more. I'm going to throw spoiler tags around most of this, just in case, but can anyone offer any reasons as to the following:
    Why hasn't Delores just given Maeve what she wanted, so as to her eliminate her as a threat? Maeve only seems to care about her daughter, so wants the key to where all those hosts are virtually being kept, if I understand correctly.....How would giving the key to Maeve be an issue for Delores?

Why, after all the talk about needing help, did Maeve go after Delores alone?
    Dolores can't give the key to Maeve because I'm pretty sure Maeve would still need to give it to Serac in order for her to be able to get to her daughter, so Dolores giving it to Maeve would be her giving it to Serac.

I think Maeve went after Dolores alone because she needed the others to take out Sato. I think the events of this episode take place around the same time.

As for why Dolores has left William, Bernard and Stubbs alive, we don't know yet. They might still be part of her plan in some way. The Dolores in Hale becoming more like Hale is strange alright. Maybe because she was Hale for so long compared to the Dolores in Martins (which was only for a few weeks probably) or the one in Sato (who was a host to begin with anyway and not a real person). So it's possible that the Dolores in Hale has been combined with some of Hale's data from the park in order to make her more realistic so she's becoming more like Hale.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

3.7: That was a great episode!
    • I wanted to see like tonne more fighting between Delores and Maeve but it just felt right how it panned out.
    • Aaron Paul, what a performance! He'll always have to contend with being Jesse but it broke through it here.
    • The episode story and taking out the AI and hosts, leaving it MIB and Caleb, Brilliant!

Hard not to wonder what
    Rehoboam is up to through all this. Never a peep. The glance into the AI through Solomon was something!

• Advertisement

Penn wrote: »
    As for why Dolores has left William, Bernard and Stubbs alive, we don't know yet.

After Solomon and Bernards lines about Delores.. it's all got me reminded of:
    Slydice wrote: »
    Me:
    *sits down at table with chess board*
    *moves white pawn*
    Delores:
    *converts all black pieces to queens*

• Registered Users Posts: 7,424 ✭✭✭corkie

Me:
    *sits down at table with chess board*
    *moves white pawn*
    Delores:
    *converts all black pieces to queens*

So basically you win
    as she removed the king from the board and resigned?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,544 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

Great to see Clementine back.

corkie wrote: »
    So basically you win
    as she removed the king from the board and resigned?

Well of course :D
    because somehow this show will end with Maeve walking into the sunset with her daughter. Don't ask me how!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,413 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

3.7: That was a great episode!
    • I wanted to see like tonne more fighting between Delores and Maeve but it just felt right how it panned out.
    • Aaron Paul, what a performance! He'll always have to contend with being Jesse but it broke through it here.
    • The episode story and taking out the AI and hosts, leaving it MIB and Caleb, Brilliant!

Hard not to wonder what
    Rehoboam is up to through all this. Never a peep. The glance into the AI through Solomon was something!

Yeah, was a great episode.

So far this season has been superb. Far better than season 2. Really brought the show in a new direction.

All Eyes On Rafah

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,044 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Saw one review saying
    We were expecting Delores to lose an arm as it was showing in the trailer for the season.

And this is why I don't watch trailers.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,992 ✭✭✭DenMan

Another brilliant episode last night. A bit gutted next week is the season finale. I read on the Westworld Facebook page that it's been renewed for a fourth season last week. Supposedly it may have six seasons in total. Hard to believe it first debuted in 2016. :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,331 ✭✭✭Keyzer

I see a lot of people praising the third season but, for me, I really don't get it.

I don't care about any of the characters, I'm just watching to follow it through to the end. But season three seems to have almost no relevance to season one (which was great) or season two (which was a borderline shambles).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,394 ✭✭✭ManOfMystery

Keyzer wrote: »
    I see a lot of people praising the third season but, for me, I really don't get it.

I don't care about any of the characters, I'm just watching to follow it through to the end. But season three seems to have almost no relevance to season one (which was great) or season two (which was a borderline shambles).

The main theme I see in S3 is the parallel between the real world and Westworld. In S1, we see that humans go to Westworld for recreation, and the hosts are totally programmed to repeat certain behaviours, blissfully unaware they really have no free will or choice. And now in S3, we have gone full circle - it seems humans have no choice either, and for the most part go through life in a predetermined path. I've found it very interesting that we seem to be heading towards a premise where humanity will be freed from that control by the very beings they created and programmed. Very curious where it goes next.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,969 ✭✭✭✭alchemist33

It's certainly a very boring, sterile version of the future they've portrayed. Nobody has fun, or any kind of life. Whether this is deliberate to portray why tourists would go to Westworld, or accidental and a failure of writing, I don't know.

• Registered Users Posts: 851 ✭✭✭human 19

Yeah, I dont have much of an idea what's going on anymore , and I find myself not particularly interested in digging deep to find out.

DenMan wrote: »
    Another brilliant episode last night. A bit gutted next week is the season finale. I read on the Westworld Facebook page that it's been renewed for a fourth season last week. Supposedly it may have six seasons in total. Hard to believe it first debuted in 2016. :eek:

Not sure I could be bothered with another season.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,331 ✭✭✭Keyzer

human 19 wrote: »
    Yeah, I dont have much of an idea what's going on anymore , and I find myself not particularly interested in digging deep to find out.

I get it, I know what's goingon , I get that its showing the "real world" as a similar construct to Westworld with respect to control and and lack of free will. How we're all on loops, like the hosts etc.

I just don't particularly care - its not a compelling story line for me.

Season 1 was brilliant mostly because of Anthony Hopkins. I could literally watch him and his masterful acting. It went tits up after that.

DenMan wrote: »

Not sure I could be bothered with another season.

It's certainly a very boring, sterile version of the future they've portrayed. Nobody has fun, or any kind of life. Whether this is deliberate to portray why tourists would go to Westworld, or accidental and a failure of writing, I don't know.

I think that's part of the dystopia feeling they want to get across. That everything is being shown as "controlled" by this big AI the brothers made.. but that all is not well because yer man decided they can kill off people to make it happen.

Hrmmm..
    maybe he's the problem and not the other brother who he put into stasis!
    Could that be the twist at the end?!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,403 ✭✭✭Homelander

I really enjoy the slick production and the acting in this show, but I've found the general premise of the third season fairly bad, none of the characters are particularly likable anymore and I don't find myself rooting, or caring, for anyone at all.....except maybe "Charlotte Hale".

On that note, for people wondering why Hale is so...Hale, in Ep6 the replica Delores when speaking to Maeve notes the significant difference between her and the real-world Dolores due to learned experiences and that they are not the same person anymore. It was an interesting conversation.

Also I don't mind Aaron Paul as an actor but I just don't like him in this, his character, backstory or his performance.

Those are pretty bad viewing figures for an expensive HBO show. One thing I do admire about HBO is that they often stick with shows when other networks would cancel. I would've also thought ratings would have been higher for S1 and S2. The show must cost a lot to make, particuarly the first season.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,290 ✭✭✭Ardent

I've been holding off on season 3 after the bitter disappointment of season 2. What's the consensus for S3 now that it's nearing its end? Worth watching or a waste of time?

Ardent wrote: »
    I've been holding off on season 3 after the bitter disappointment of season 2. What's the consensus for S3 now that it's nearing its end? Worth watching or a waste of time?

Waste of time, unless they pull something amazing out of the bag for the finale.

Ardent wrote: »

I'd say worth watching but it's easily the weakest season. I didn't find S2 as bad though as a lot of people seem to make out.

I gave up when Ed Harris came along. Its a tone dead mess.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,748 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

I enjoyed the finale, but now a 2 year wait...

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

Really enjoyed the music this season.
    Especially the harmonisation of the themes for
    Maeve and Dolores

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,959 ✭✭✭Liamalone

Turtwig wrote: »
    Really enjoyed the music this season.
    Especially the harmonisation of the themes for
    Maeve and Dolores

Music was shoite this series.

Compared to previous. But yeah, visual effects were awesome too but nobody mentions that cos it's no kool.

Advertisement