Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Renting in Dublin for 9 months

Options
  • 01-09-2013 3:38pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,930 ✭✭✭

Is it just me or is it impossible to find a good apartment/flat for 9 months in Dublin. Every where I have looked at its been like an interview with landlord having plenty of people to chose for. Add to that I am a student (although self employed and working part time aswell) means I don't get a look in.

Is it easy to sub let from June to September? I don't want to rent for 12 months then lose my deposit because I can't sub let it.

Comments

• Administrators Posts: 53,836 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

I don't think subletting would be easy for 3 months.

Most students pay for 12 months do they not?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,180 ✭✭✭hfallada

You just need to keep looking on daft. This year is insane. There has never been so much demand but there is little supply. Landlords will rent for 9 months no problem if you find the right one.

You are probably better off with a house share as there is likely to be people coming and going all the time. Meaning there is no issue with staying for 9 months. However you will be most likely living with contienetal Europeans(ten times better than Irish as they clean up after themselves and are not hostile like some Irish. I'm Irish and I live with Germans an French before living with Irish).

OP you might consider living a bit away from college. Like if you are going to tcd, pick areas like phisborough( some parts are decent),drumcondra, Glasnevin. As you aren't competiting with English language students( there is 8,000 brazilians legally learning English in the city, I presume the number is a lot higher).

• Registered Users Posts: 8,394 ✭✭✭Ray Palmer

LL generally don't want to rent to students nor 9 months. You are effectively looking for rental property for students. There is a house near me and they won't put it on the market at the moment because students would want it.

Best try to match up with fellow students via the student union.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,930 ✭✭✭galwayjohn89

I know, I'm finding it very irritating that as soon as people find out that I am a student they write me off completely even though my previous land lord said I was the best tenant he ever had. Seems to be a massive shortage of apartments to rent. Wish it was like Vancouver, landed at 11am, got Canadian phone, went on craiglist and by 5pm I was in the apartment.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,394 ✭✭✭Ray Palmer

Vuzuggu wrote: »
    I know, I'm finding it very irritating that as soon as people find out that I am a student they write me off completely even though my previous land lord said I was the best tenant he ever had. Seems to be a massive shortage of apartments to rent. Wish it was like Vancouver, landed at 11am, got Canadian phone, went on craiglist and by 5pm I was in the apartment.
    Was that not during the summer when all the students had left?

• Advertisement
Advertisement