Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Blasket Islands + general camping advice/tips

Options
  • 01-09-2013 4:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 363 ✭✭

So myself and my mum/dad + sister went on a boat trip around the blaskets last week, unfortunately couldn't goon the island that day as we'd have missed the last bus back to Tralee,

anyhow I asked them about camping on the island and I found out its allowed, I then mentioned about bringing dogs which is also allowed so we're chuffed,

we're planning on going for 2 night in/around 10th September depending on sea/weather conditions.

anyone ever camped here? can someone confirm whether there are toilets on the Island I always thought there weren't but ive read a few posts online and some say they are/aren't present, tbh Im not bothered in that respect.

this may sound like a silly question but is there mobile reception?

any other tips/advice and things we'll need, we've got most things listed just want to make sure not missing anything obvious :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,718 ✭✭✭johnayo

I'd say there is mobile coverage there. I was able to make calls just across the way on the Slea Head last week. (O2).

• Registered Users Posts: 4,080 ✭✭✭sheesh

johnayo wrote: »
    I'd say there is mobile coverage there. I was able to make calls just across the way on the Slea Head last week. (O2).

ah now, slea head is on the main land and about 30 minutes drive from Dingle there are loads of houses around there

I'd say have look at the mobile coverage maps it really depends on how far it is from the transmitter

Pretty certain there is Vodafone anyway, cos there was last year when I was around there, or at least near the beach which is the camping side. Not sure camping formally allowed, certainly the owner of most of the island previously threatened to stop it on his land anyway during the prolonged dispute with the State. He passed away, guess noone around to stop it.

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭acorn

Camped there 2 years ago.
    Definately full vodafone coverage anyway.
    Check with boatmen but at that time there was a water tap openly available and also a toilet in one of the open vacant buidings.
    Bring midge repellant !!!

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭Corbally

sounds like a great place to camp

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭acorn

It's a very special place, please, please respect it anyone that goes there.

Advertisement