Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hayao Miyazaki retires from feature film direction

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭entropi

Sad news indeed. It was inevitable that he would take a step back at some stage, he's getting old :( Doesn't mean he couldn't have carried on, but it'll be some legacy to leave behind. Ghibli were basically synonymous with his name attached, I wonder how they will fare in future.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,944 ✭✭✭✭Links234

entropi wrote: »
    I wonder how they will fare in future.

I'd say they'll do well ;)

Some of the non-Miyazaki movies are amazing, like Arriety more recently

Arriety was pretty awesome! Yes! :)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,415 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Ah Miyazaki has retired a good two or three times before :P Certainly Howls Moving Castle was intended as his last film at one point..

He is getting to that stage where he will finally hang up his sketchpad. If this is it, hopefully The Wind Rises will be a fitting swansong - while there's plenty I like about Howl's... and (more so) Ponyo, neither film is up to the quality of what came before. It's Miyazaki's history of masterpieces that almost makes it seem unsuitable for him to bow out on anything less!

Curiously, he does seem to be passing on his legacy. Obviously Goro, but he also seems to be doing a lot of work with Evangelion's Hideaki Anno. He voices the lead in The Wind Rises, they collaborated on the awesome short that plays before Eva 3.0, and there have been rumours that Anno has Miyazaki's permission for a Naussica 2 if he so wishes...

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,133 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

Sad to see him go, but either way I hope animation style stays, it's what makes their stuff unique and I don't want it lost in transition

• Advertisement

Exactly. I was watching Tales From Earthsea this morning and was still mesmerised by the style of animation, the colouring. So vivid and imaginative :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Shirodoragon

I absolutely adore studio ghibli, be sad to see him go! :(

• Registered Users Posts: 6,273 ✭✭✭emo72

sad to see him go. long gaps between ghibli movies? obviously they take more time to make. they cant come quick enough for me.

Advertisement