Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Good quality wet cat food?

• 01-09-2013 6:11pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 8,635 ✭✭✭

I'm looking for recommendations for the above. Felix and Jazzy are ok with Feringa. Jazzy will eat Grau but Felix won't and Toby won't eat either the Feringa, Grau or Animonda:rolleyes: I want them all on a good quality wet food, they have Applaws nuts. Toby likes the smell of the high protein wet foods but I think the texture puts him off. He only eats the flaky types like Felix as good as it looks wet food at the moment. So something that isn't of a pate texture might be worth a try. He wolfs down the Applaws nuts.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,180 ✭✭✭hfallada

The meat that goes in wet dog/cat foods is horrific. My uncle is a farmer and told me all old cows and bulls(over like 7/8 years old) are refereed to as cannies by the meat factories, as the quality of meat is so poor. Only the crap from the factories goes into tins. You are better feeding your cats dry food.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,323 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

Well the list of food I usually recommend for wet is:

Applaws
    Terra Faelis
    Almo Nature
    Feringa
    Schesir
    GranataPet
    Bozita
    Almo Nature Label (Daily Menu)
    Cosma
    Grau
    Catz Finefood
    Porta21

Some of our cats will eat all of it; others will only eat certain versions from certain brands. If you're already on Applaws kibble I'd try their wet range as well (you can get one of those 6 different type of cans pack for example).

• Registered Users Posts: 505 ✭✭✭inocybe

I'm looking for the same thing, one of my cats is drinking a lot. I know I need to get her checked out, but I want her off dry food meanwhile. It's hard to know what to try from looking on a website.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,635 ✭✭✭Pumpkinseeds

My main problem is the texture. Toby just doesn't like the texture of the high protein wet foods. The Feringa, Grau, Terra Felis and Animonda von something or other:D, are a bit like pate and he won't eat it. He doesn't like the cubed wet food either. He seems to prefer the light flakiness of Felix. I'd be happier with them all on an affordable high grade wet food.

The wet food is great for sneaking a bit of water into Jazzy's diet, he's notoriously bad for drinking water. Felix drinks plenty as does Toby but you'd rarely see Jazzy drink and when he does he'd only drink rain water. We even tried putting bottled water in a water fountain for him but he ignored it and eventually it broke:rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,945 ✭✭✭cuckoo

My main problem is the texture. Toby just doesn't like the texture of the high protein wet foods. The Feringa, Grau, Terra Felis and Animonda von something or other:D, are a bit like pate and he won't eat it. He doesn't like the cubed wet food either. He seems to prefer the light flakiness of Felix. I'd be happier with them all on an affordable high grade wet food.

The Applaws chicken wet food is sort of flaky, strands of chicken in a light liquid. It's not a complete food, so my cats get a can split between the two in the evenings as their treat food in addition to Applaws dry.

The Applaws wet takes well to being watered down, I have the same problems with getting my male cat to drink water. Half a cup of boiling water mixed into the wet food creates a mushy mess my fur balls go crazy for.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭mentalist101

My kitten is happy to eat Felix, Whiskas, Bozita, Smilla and even tesco kitten pouches but will not touch Applaws :(. She was really put off by the smell and its the flaky chicken for kittens

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,323 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

cuckoo wrote: »
    The Applaws chicken wet food is sort of flaky, strands of chicken in a light liquid. It's not a complete food, so my cats get a can split between the two in the evenings as their treat food in addition to Applaws dry.

The Applaws wet takes well to being watered down, I have the same problems with getting my male cat to drink water. Half a cup of boiling water mixed into the wet food creates a mushy mess my fur balls go crazy for.
    Same is true for Porta21 (same type of consistency) and Nature Label (Green) is similar which is water and chunks of meat basically.

• Registered Users Posts: 505 ✭✭✭inocybe

texture is the problem here too, it has to be the consistency of the chunks in jelly you get in supermarket pouches.
    I feed chicken as a treat anyway, so wouldn't waste the money on the Applaws pouches. Looking for a complete food.

inocybe wrote: »
    texture is the problem here too, it has to be the consistency of the chunks in jelly you get in supermarket pouches.
    I feed chicken as a treat anyway, so wouldn't waste the money on the Applaws pouches. Looking for a complete food.
    Try Bozita; it's quite similar in consistenency (slightly larger chunks) and comes in both jelly and sauce versions but the quality is better (as is the price for the larger sizes) and our cats react the same to both (well the leave the meat on any supermarket pouch food but lick up the jelly/sauce; with Bozita they will eat the meat once the jelly/sauce is gone).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 374 ✭✭nala2012

hfallada wrote: »
    The meat that goes in wet dog/cat foods is horrific. My uncle is a farmer and told me all old cows and bulls(over like 7/8 years old) are refereed to as cannies by the meat factories, as the quality of meat is so poor. Only the crap from the factories goes into tins. You are better feeding your cats dry food.

sorry but what meat do you think they use in dry food? It's the same as what they use in wet food. And old cow's would probably be the best thing they use. I'd be more worried about the fact that apparently they use dogs and cats that have been put to sleep as well as diseased animals unfit for human consumption. There's very little regulation when it comes to pet foods. Why do you think companies like mars also make pet food? They use the waste from the factories where they make chocolate and put it in the pet food.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭tufterween

Hiya.
    Just adopted a kitten this week but have owned a cat before. The wet food you buy in supermarkets is all crap. My cat is eating felix at the moment but its only until my order for some good quality food ones in.
    Zooplus.ie is a great website. Most of the food on that is good quality and is actually made from meat (rather than meat derivatives). I'm having a bit of an issue knowing how much to feed but its only because I've never owned a kitten before.
    Also, cats benefit from having a bit of raw meat in their diet. I feed my kitten and fed my cat chicken wings (which is also a good source of calcium).
    With regards to the dry food personally I wouldn't recommend it. It's too packed with fillers (carbohydrate based products which cats can't digest). I leave a bit out for puss each day cus it's good for her teeth but I definitely wouldn't have her eating large amounts of it.

tufterween wrote: »
    Hiya.
    Just adopted a kitten this week but have owned a cat before. The wet food you buy in supermarkets is all crap. My cat is eating felix at the moment but its only until my order for some good quality food ones in.
    Zooplus.ie is a great website. Most of the food on that is good quality and is actually made from meat (rather than meat derivatives). I'm having a bit of an issue knowing how much to feed but its only because I've never owned a kitten before.
    Also, cats benefit from having a bit of raw meat in their diet. I feed my kitten and fed my cat chicken wings (which is also a good source of calcium).
    With regards to the dry food personally I wouldn't recommend it. It's too packed with fillers (carbohydrate based products which cats can't digest). I leave a bit out for puss each day cus it's good for her teeth but I definitely wouldn't have her eating large amounts of it.
    Well Zoohit sell quite a few animal derivate food (inc. but not limited to RC, Whiskas etc.) as well and for dry stuff you have the likes of Applaws, Acana etc. which has a better ingredient list then most wet foods :)

It's all about being careful and looking at the ingredient list rather then the commercial spin they put on the stuff.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,635 ✭✭✭Pumpkinseeds

I bought Bozita a few years ago and they wouldn't eat it, I think it was the reindeer one, I remember feeling guilty:D, anyway, I think I'll give the chicken in jelly Bozita tetra packs a try. They have a fairly good diet. We leave a bowl of Applaws kibble down for them and they have a small amount of wet food a couple of times a day.

They get raw chicken breast and raw mince a couple of times a week too and their treat is cooked chicken breast. Toby gets the whiskas anti-furball treats as he won't eat any of the cat malt pastes. Felix won't eat any of the furball products anymore. He used to love the Defurrum but won't touch it now, don't know why. Jazzy won't take any anti-furball products either.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,129 ✭✭✭PucaMama

but what meat do you think they use in dry food? It's the same as what they use in wet food. And old cow's would probably be the best thing they use. I'd be more worried about the fact that apparently they use dogs and cats that have been put to sleep as well as diseased animals unfit for human consumption. There's very little regulation when it comes to pet foods. Why do you think companies like mars also make pet food? They use the waste from the factories where they make chocolate and put it in the pet food.
    Have you any links about then putting dogs and cats into pet food? Surely this would have already caused serious disease

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 406 ✭✭Rommie

PucaMama wrote: »
    Have you any links about then putting dogs and cats into pet food? Surely this would have already caused serious disease

http://www.naturalnews.com/012647_pet_food_dog.html
    Just one of them, been somewhat common knowledge for a while now. Obviously only in regard to low quality pet foods

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,129 ✭✭✭PucaMama

Rommie wrote: »
    http://www.naturalnews.com/012647_pet_food_dog.html
    Just one of them, been somewhat common knowledge for a while now. Obviously only in regard to low quality pet foods

I take it thats an American site are the pet foods made the same here??

Advertisement