Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Parking in NUIG

• 01-09-2013 6:28pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 132 ✭✭

Hi all,
    I'm starting the dip in education in Galway tomorrow and decided because the cost is high and i'm only there half the year that i'd commute from Mayo when I was there.
    I got a parking permit but I'm just wondering what the score re:parking is.
    I have heard that parking is impossible after 9 - but is there anywhere where it's ok a little bit after that?
    Also where is the best bet for ease of getting a space, even before 9?
    Also can I park anywhere with my permit?

Thanks for all the help :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 284 ✭✭blackhound

No student permits only allow you to park in Student or mixed use carparks, many of the carparks are Staff only so check the signs. After 9 your best bet is the park and ride facility which is up near Corrib Village the bus runs regularly so should be fine. It comes close but rarely is totally full I think.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 132 ✭✭orlabobs

Great to know, thanks. :)
    So around the Quad, Concourse and Kingfisher are ok?
    Where is not open to student permits? Do you know?

• Registered Users Posts: 284 ✭✭blackhound

Quad and concourse are Staff, old tennis court near quad and opposite the kingfisher is student. Here's a map might help

http://www.nuigalway.ie/buildings/documents/map_carparks_2011_2012.pdf

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,039 ✭✭✭✭retro:electro

Parking in nui is a joke! Good luck!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,653 ✭✭✭yer man!

anna080 wrote: »
    Parking in nui is a joke! Good luck!!

I used Dangan all last year and never once had a problem with it....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 499 ✭✭Flynn

Can I ask the same question but for after 6pm? Is it easy to park at this time (i'd be doing a part-time course) Thanks.

Flynn wrote: »
    Can I ask the same question but for after 6pm? Is it easy to park at this time (i'd be doing a part-time course) Thanks.

Ya it's usually pretty easy to get a space any time after 5 anywhere on campus

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,166 ✭✭✭Stereomaniac

It is always this way in any school I have been at, in the evening you can almost take your pick.

There should be spaces after around 5. The pay and display is also free after half five so you can always park there too

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,924 ✭✭✭Fatboydim

I did the commute from Westport last year. So my advice is leave in plenty of time. It can take only an hour to get to the Galway outskirts but then forty five minutes to get through the traffic. Parking in the park and ride means you have to get their early enough to get on the bus. It goes every fifteen minutes at peak times. So say you're first lecture is 9.00 aim to get to the ParknRide for 8.30. In the whole year I never once got to park in the spaces near the Kingfisher and that was before 9.00. Though I don't double park or park in places that aren't spaces and others do... though the clampers are notorious. A good place to park outside the college is at the back of the cathedral. That's €4 for the whole day. Sometimes I would do that if I was running late or if i wanted to stay late. But that is filled up by 9.30 most days.

Hope that helps.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭mgk2004

Fatboydim wrote: »
    I did the commute from Westport last year. So my advice is leave in plenty of time. It can take only an hour to get to the Galway outskirts but then forty five minutes to get through the traffic. Parking in the park and ride means you have to get their early enough to get on the bus. It goes every fifteen minutes at peak times. So say you're first lecture is 9.00 aim to get to the ParknRide for 8.30. In the whole year I never once got to park in the spaces near the Kingfisher and that was before 9.00. Though I don't double park or park in places that aren't spaces and others do... though the clampers are notorious. A good place to park outside the college is at the back of the cathedral. That's €4 for the whole day. Sometimes I would do that if I was running late or if i wanted to stay late. But that is filled up by 9.30 most days.

Hope that helps.

Im gonna be commuting from Clare next week 4 days a week until xmas anyway, hour and half with favourable traffic. until xmas but if I cant stick it il move up.

did you do it for the whole year, how did you not go insane. what time does rush hour start in morning an evening? i start at 9 on Mondays and Wednesday so thinking if I get to the kingfisher before 8 il get a spot an head to the gym for an hour.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 claireshan

I'm starting the dip in NUIG Monday, I'm going to be commuting from limerick. I know there is parking at the cathedral so hopefully I'll get a space there but if not I heard corrib village and dangan park and ride are good options. I visited nuig last week and turned right into corrib village but I didn't see the park and ride I kept driving straight and there was a little few spaces on the right and then it came to the kind of centre place with the laundrette but not the huge park and ride that I have seen advertised on the internet? Are corrib village park and ride and the dangan park and ride the same place? Thanks

mgk2004 wrote: »
    Im gonna be commuting from Clare next week 4 days a week until xmas anyway, hour and half with favourable traffic. until xmas but if I cant stick it il move up.

did you do it for the whole year, how did you not go insane. what time does rush hour start in morning an evening? i start at 9 on Mondays and Wednesday so thinking if I get to the kingfisher before 8 il get a spot an head to the gym for an hour.

I wonder could ye help from experience please! I'm starting the dip Monday in NUIG, I am commuting from Limerick so I need to find parking daily. I know there is the cathedral but if that's full there are the park and rides. Are dangan and corrib village park and ride the same place? I was on the made road and turned right into corrib village (well that's what the sign said) but I never saw the huge car park that is advertised on the internet? After I turned in I continued straight on and saw about 50 spaces on the right and then came to the centre of corrib village were there was a laundrette. Any help would be appreciated thanks! Also if I walked rather than waited for the shuttle bus how long would it take! Thanks again!

orlabobs wrote: »
    Hi all,
    I'm starting the dip in education in Galway tomorrow and decided because the cost is high and i'm only there half the year that i'd commute from Mayo when I was there.
    I have heard that parking is impossible after 9 - but is there anywhere where it's ok a little bit after that?

I wonder if you could help with experience! I'm starting the dip Monday in NUIG, I am commuting from Limerick so I need to find parking daily. I know there is the cathedral but if that's full there are the park and rides. Are dangan and corrib village park and ride the same place? I was on the made road and turned right into corrib village (well that's what the sign said) but I never saw the huge car park that is advertised on the internet? After I turned in I continued straight on and saw about 50 spaces on the right and then came to the centre of corrib village were there was a laundrette. Any help would be appreciated thanks! Also if I walked rather than waited for the shuttle bus how long would it take! Thanks again!

Hey claireshan.

So, my advice would be - get a parking permit from NUIG. You can buy one on the NUIG website (somewhere - easy to find) and you just have to go down to nuig to get it.
    The reason I say to do this is the permit is €45 for the whole year. Parking at the cathedral is €4 or €5 a day. You're in Galway four days a week - easy to do the maths there.
    Now - the place I parked was by the quad (not right by it, that's just for staff, but just below right next to the education building on the main campus)
    The situation is you'd want to be there before 8.30 in the morning. Sometimes it won't be full until 8.45 or 9... but if you get there and there's no free space you're out of luck until about 11... However, the dip has classes on a group schedule, i.e. the same classes are on at different times. There are 9am and 8.30am classes. If you talked to Mary (Flemming - main honsho there and lovely) she could put you in a group to accommodate you there.
    Also, coming from Limerick, you wouldn't want to be getting in at 9am anyways as traffic is woeful.
    On the days that you don't have an early start (I'd say one or two days a week) Just aim to be at the college at 10 to the hour... You'll que up and when people leave lectures they'll open up spaces.

There are, of course, other places on campus to park - like corrib... but you need your permit. So my advice would be to get one. :)

Also, best of luck with the Dip! :D

Hey claireshan.

So, my advice would be - get a parking permit from NUIG. You can buy one on the NUIG website (somewhere - easy to find) and you just have to go down to nuig to get it.
    The reason I say to do this is the permit is €45 for the whole year. Parking at the cathedral is €4 or €5 a day. You're in Galway four days a week - easy to do the maths there.
    Now - the place I parked was by the quad (not right by it, that's just for staff, but just below right next to the education building on the main campus)
    The situation is you'd want to be there before 8.30 in the morning. Sometimes it won't be full until 8.45 or 9... but if you get there and there's no free space you're out of luck until about 11... However, the dip has classes on a group schedule, i.e. the same classes are on at different times. There are 9am and 8.30am classes. If you talked to Mary (Flemming - main honsho there and lovely) she could put you in a group to accommodate you there.
    Also, coming from Limerick, you wouldn't want to be getting in at 9am anyways as traffic is woeful.
    On the days that you don't have an early start (I'd say one or two days a week) Just aim to be at the college at 10 to the hour... You'll que up and when people leave lectures they'll open up spaces.

There are, of course, other places on campus to park - like corrib... but you need your permit. So my advice would be to get one. :)

Also, best of luck with the Dip! :D
    Thanks a mill! Ya we were only given a draft timetable for the first two weeks so the earliest I'm in so far is ten which means I will be hitting Galway at 9 unfortunately! Will it take me long to get through Galway at that time?

Yeah after the first couple of weeks it changes a bit... but yeah it's not the funnest at that time.
    You won't get parking anywhere in town after 9ish anyways! I'd just get up early get in and have breakfast etc in Galway.... save yourself the hassle!

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭BauBau19

What is the story with parking overnight? Apparently we're not allowed to park overnight. Where are we supposed to leave our cars if we live on campus.

Hi all,

Hey sorry to bother you again but we are after bein told we have to do seven hours observation in a primary and 7 in a secondary school, with the secondary school is that observing the subjects you teach so I'd sit in on English and history classes or is it any subjects? And is it a particular year group! Sorry for annoying you but I'm lost!

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭Half Rhodesian

hey all,

how long does it take for the permit to be ready?
    i bought mine online on monday i think but havnt heard anything yet on when i may pick it up from the college.
    Tried ringing em and emailing them at the student info desk but nobody's home by the looks of it

• Advertisement

hey all,

how long does it take for the permit to be ready?
    i bought mine online on monday i think but havnt heard anything yet on when i may pick it up from the college.
    Tried ringing em and emailing them at the student info desk but nobody's home by the looks of it
    You have to call into Aras Ui Chathail with the P5 form also filled out and bring in your driver licence, student card, vehicle registration with you and they give you it then! Hope that answers your question

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 176 ✭✭Blackpanther95

Its a joke, they built thousands of new bicycle ranks and no more space for students to park- loads for staff, loads for p&d (even though half are always empty). Another example of where the students union are absolutely useless!

I was three years in nuig and think I spent 1.5 of those years sitting in my car waiting for a car space! It's an absolute joke! And nothing is guaranteed to get your blood boiling more than someone stealing your space when you've been waiting! Grrr

I was three years in nuig and think I spent 1.5 of those years sitting in my car waiting for a car space! It's an absolute joke! And nothing is guaranteed to get your blood boiling more than someone stealing your space when you've been waiting! Grrr

But what the hell are the SU acc doing????? There's acres of grass round the place which could easily be converted into parking. Although I heard they were building an underground car park outside the student information desk (forgot the name of that building)

But what the hell are the SU acc doing????? There's acres of grass round the place which could easily be converted into parking. Although I heard they were building an underground car park outside the student information desk (forgot the name of that building)

I know ya. It's a running joke now when me and my boyfriend are walking around campus to point at daft things and say "sure why don't they knock that there and make more parking". Underground car park would be...interesting..

I know ya. It's a running joke now when me and my boyfriend are walking around campus to point at daft things and say "sure why don't they knock that there and make more parking". Underground car park would be...interesting..

Haha, I'd love to come in durin the summer and lay my own tar all over that grass outside the engineering building

Just use the park-and-ride in Dangan, it's a far easier option.

yer man! wrote: »

Untill you have a tutorial past 8 and when you go to pick up your car, security give out to you etc etc

Dangan is just a pain in the arse to be honest. It's not too much for students to ask for proper convenient and reliable parking outside without having to catch a bus in rain/wind/hail/typical Galway weather.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

Doesn't UCG have a policy to discourage parking and shift people to bicycles, walking & public transport?
    Where do you stop - 18000 parking spaces?

snubbleste wrote: »
    Doesn't UCG have a policy to discourage parking and shift people to bicycles, walking & public transport?
    Where do you stop - 18000 parking spaces?

Well that's great of them and all but some of us have to commute over 30mins to college everyday, so what do we do with our cars? Dump them in town and go rent a bike or catch a bus into college? Then be dependant on a bus schedule to get back to your car and commute 30+mins home? No thanks. Nobody is asking for "18,000" spaces, just an appropriately built, reliable parking lot where students didn't have to form a seven car queue in a dodgy revamped tennis court or a gravel yard with dodgy substandard fences. We pay towards the maintenance of the college, yet have nowhere to even park. I've missed countless important lectures because of this, it's a real issue like, I can't just dump my car anywhere and run in to class and think oh it'll be fine. The p&d's are always taken and most have a time limit in them, and tbh I haven't the cash to be spending on paying for parking when I've already got to pay for petrol and I own a permit. The SU need to pull their heads out in my opinion.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 282 ✭✭QueenBee1

Anyone know on average how long would it take to walk from dangan to aras moyola?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭gordongekko

QueenBee1 wrote: »
    Anyone know on average how long would it take to walk from dangan to aras moyola?

Few mins

Dangan is just a pain in the arse to be honest. It's not too much for students to ask for proper convenient and reliable parking outside without having to catch a bus in rain/wind/hail/typical Galway weather.

Ya . Glad to know there's a recession on, graduates are struggling to find work, homes are being seized by the banks. colleges are poorly funded and have provided a park and ride facility. Buy a rain coat a bit of rain won't kill you.

Ya . Glad to know there's a recession on, graduates are struggling to find work, homes are being seized by the banks. colleges are poorly funded and have provided a park and ride facility. Buy a rain coat a bit of rain won't kill you.

Are you in the SU? Lol

• Advertisement

Thats the problem the SU thinks they can solve MAJOR problems when they can't! They can't solve the recession, they can't eradicate homelessness but they CAN do this one easy thing: more parking.

As for colleges are underfunded ???? they are RICH , ABSOLUTELY RICH, don't let them tell you otherwise. NUIG is one of the only colleges to offer €2000 as first year scholarships. Also they built this huge engineering building, and for what? won't make a cent.

Untill you have a tutorial past 8 and when you go to pick up your car, security give out to you etc etc

I did actually.... All final year, stayed late most days. Parked in dangan in the morning and went out to move it closer to campus around 5PM if I wanted to stay in late. Always had a bus waiting at the orbsen building or waited just inside the lobby.

Thats the problem the SU thinks they can solve MAJOR problems when they can't! They can't solve the recession, they can't eradicate homelessness but they CAN do this one easy thing: more parking.

As for colleges are underfunded ???? they are RICH , ABSOLUTELY RICH, don't let them tell you otherwise. NUIG is one of the only colleges to offer €2000 as first year scholarships. Also they built this huge engineering building, and for what? won't make a cent.

The park and ride is rearly full so there is no need for extra parking. Just use the available spaces.

I did actually.... All final year, stayed late most days. Parked in dangan in the morning and went out to move it closer to campus around 5PM if I wanted to stay in late. Always had a bus waiting at the orbsen building or waited just inside the lobby.

Oh ye, never thought of moving it in early.
    Does the park and ride run every half hour?

• Registered Users Posts: 309 ✭✭lillycakes2

Parking in NUIG is a total nightmare in comparison to other colleges in Ireland! For god sake you are paying for your education, the least they could do is provide parking. Its totally not good enough !! Total BS

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

Parking in NUIG is a total nightmare in comparison to other colleges in Ireland! For god sake you are paying for your education, the least they could do is provide parking. Its totally not good enough !! Total BS
    Is their not the Park and Ride and if that's full. Park up in the sports ground in Dangan and walk to park and ride as the car parks are never full in Dangan.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,477 ✭✭✭youngrun

NUIG Should have built multistorey carpark on one of the sites they have rather than build on the sports facilities that are gradually being destroyed pitch by pitch. Also why is there no proper bike scheme on and around campus. Surely there are enough brains on site to do this and get 1000 bikes on stream? Ditto buses, get more on serving Uni and newcastle side . Who is in charge of all this ? They need to take a new look at it. And walking is good for you, Galway is small, wet gear is cheap and it'll do people good. Cars are a waste of time around city centre and Galway, too many cars + two small roads = jams, no idea how anyone can waste their time sitting in one esp if you are driving solo. 2 mile radius gets you anywhere in town from college its no great shakes.

Advertisement