Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Deadline Day Thread

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,818 ✭✭✭swoody

Ozil's official photo

f9d72e12-88db-46e2-adab-402110d98207.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,939 ✭✭✭ballsymchugh

Pique wrote: »
    What were TalkSport on about? Something like the people in Bilbao negotiating for Ander Herrara to move to Man Utd were impostors and were not actually acting for our on behalf of Man Utd.

Very strange!

that was on 5live too. guillaume ballague had the story earlier. apparently some fellas in utd jackets that had nothing to do with the club.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

Nuri Sahin wrote: »
    £13M for McCarthy.

Holy jesus on a tricycle.

Good price for one of the best young midfielders in England.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,485 ✭✭✭Thrill

1. 2335:
      COENTRAO CONFUSIONSpanish football writer Andy West: "Contradictory reports within Spain on the Fabio Coentrao situation. Some media claiming the United loan bid came through, others saying it was too late. Similarly with Madrid's attempts to sign Siqueira from Granada, who would be Coentrao's replacement.
      _69613885_fccc3514-586d-4351-8eb9-7a20cb828075.jpg
      "There's a suspicion that Madrid have learned their attempts to get Siqueira didn't make it, in which case they would not want Coentrao to leave and therefore will attempt to argue the United bid was too late.
      "Complications complications...if you must leave it until the last three minutes when you've had three months, this is what can happen."

BBC

All that money to play Bale out of position.

Bale always does his best coming from the middle or the right and onto his left foot.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,260 ✭✭✭Joekers

This is what the impostors posing as man utd reps were trying to achieve :D

Jelle1880 wrote: »
    "Assou-Ekotto is an outstanding left back"

Ok 'Arry.

He's a very good player and will easily be the best left full in ha division. He'd walk onto most premiership teams.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,839 ✭✭✭Jelle1880

Seaneh wrote: »
    He's a very good player and will easily be the best left full in ha division. He'd walk onto most premiership teams.

While I agree that he's a good player (good, not very good) I disagree that he'd be the best left half.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,798 ✭✭✭karma_

Like a few other people, really impressed with the business Everton and Liverpool have done this window, some quality signings and will spice things up nicely this year.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 829 ✭✭✭smellmepower

Did Long join Hull in the end?stupid move if he did.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭astonaidan

Whats the hatred of Assou-Ekotto, after Cole, Baines and Evra I would have had him next

Good price for Wigan

no, Clarke saw sense at 22:55

Who's Niall Quinn's slimy mate on SSN btw?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,791 ✭✭✭✭JPA

Not really, how much better is he than say Ashley Westwood? Similar player.
    £13 million is actually insanity for a cash strapped club. That money should be spent on match winners.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,949 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

think he's the peterborough chairman

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,139 ✭✭✭Red Crow

Peterborough owner

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,469 ✭✭✭✭GTR63

Jelle1880 wrote: »
    While I agree that he's a good player (good, not very good) I disagree that he'd be the best left half.

Think he was saying best in the Championship.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,871 ✭✭✭Karen23

Darragh Mc Anthony , Dublin born chairman of Peterborough.

He's quite nice :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,042 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Particularly under the circumstances. With Barry coming in, it takes some of the pressure off the need for McCarthy to perform immediately.

Wonder does Everton's business today spell the end of Gibson's time there though. Surely has Barkley, McCarthy, Barry, and Osman ahead of him now.

• Advertisement

didn't dave whelan say the rumours of ryan shotton to wigan where rubbish earlier?

well, he just signed for wigan........ :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

JPA wrote: »
    Not really, how much better is he than say Ashley Westwood? Similar player.
    £13 million is actually insanity for a cash strapped club. That money should be spent on match winners.

Ah I think it's not a bad price. McCarthy is better than Westwood right now, and a bit different too, McCarthy gets a lot more stuck in than Westwood does. Westwood could be excellent no doubt. But for an already experienced centre mid who has performed consistently, it's not a bad price. I've always really rated McCarthy and still think people underrate him a bit.

Being short of cash and spending that amount of money is a different matter, although they did receive over double that for Fellaini.

Not to mention how dire WBA have been. Mental from them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,113 ✭✭✭Lumbo

~Rebel~ wrote: »
    Particularly under the circumstances. With Barry coming in, it takes some of the pressure off the need for McCarthy to perform immediately.

Wonder does Everton's business today spell the end of Gibson's time there though. Surely has Barkley, McCarthy, Barry, and Osman ahead of him now.

No. McCarthy and Barry are the only two who will play a similar position.

Unfortunately, Gibson is always carrying an injury. Everton need cover there.

Anyone who thinks that 13.5m for McCarthy is too much needs to get their heads checked, that's an amazing deal for Everton.

It won't be £13.5M upfront anyway,decent money for a player of his proven quality.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭Winston Payne

Best window? Tottenham Hotspur

Worst window? Manchester United

I think it has to be Man.United for the worst. Unsatisfactory recruitment, done badly. Spurs have had the best I think, the money they got for Bale, they've deepened the squad considerably and balanced the books while they were at it.

Any word on if Coentrao officially signed on loan?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,949 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

I think it has to be Man.United for the worst. Unsatisfactory recruitment, done badly. Spurs have had the best I think, the money they got for Bale, they've deepened the squad considerably and balanced the books while they were at it.

Newcastle United's lack of any movement in the transfer window would surely challenge ours?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,660 ✭✭✭COYVB

It's a ridiculous price

• Advertisement

Mars Bar wrote: »
    Newcastle United's lack of any movement in the transfer window would surely challenge ours?

WBA too, although United had a stinker.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,207 ✭✭✭miralize

James Cooper, journalist? He cant even get Marouane Fellaini right, he keeps calling him Marianne

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,377 ✭✭✭Smithwicks Man

karma_ wrote: »
    Anyone who thinks that 13.5m for McCarthy is too much needs to get their heads checked, that's an amazing deal for Everton.

In terms of what?

£11M for Carlos Tevez is a very good deal

£13.5m for McCarthy is getting the job done, despite paying over the odds. Not an "amazing" deal by any stretch of the imagination imo

• Registered Users Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭Winston Payne

Mars Bar wrote: »
    Pardew is a much bigger problem. There's internationals in that team, they've plenty of good players. We've been so bad, over such an extended period, with a big deficiency to fix. And we haven't come near fixing it. Given the resources at our disposal, this window has been atrocious.

COYVB wrote: »
    It's a ridiculous price

This summer that statement means nothing.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,917 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

United already have Rooney, Van Persie, Kagawa, Nani, Chicharito. The two they brought in should slot in nicely.

In terms of what?

£13.5m for McCarthy is getting the job done, despite paying over the odds. Not an "amazing" deal by any stretch of the imagination imo

Any time I've watched him he's pretty much been the outstanding player on the pitch. I'm confident time will prove me correct on this one.

Of course this may come back to bite me, but I think McCarthy's value will only go higher. Been a figurehead for Wigan in quite a lot of games for them. I really think he's going to get better and better.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

In terms of what?

Chalk and cheese.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭astonaidan

Really Newcastle sure were worse

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,588 ✭✭✭daithijjj

The Coentrao loan deal was conditional to Siqueira join Madrid apparently, and this did not go through.

The loan window ended at midnight.

karma_ wrote: »
    Any time I've watched him he's pretty much been the outstanding player on the pitch. I'm confident time will prove me correct on this one.

Think he's a good player myself. £10m is a stretch for him though, without adding another £3.5m. Is he worth more than Eriksen? No.

When you look at some summer bargains compared to other transfers it boggles the mind.

Tevez, Kaká, Eriksen, Lukaku (Loan) - Underpriced

Bale, Fellaini, Illaramendi - Overpriced

Chalk and cheese.

True. The only way I see it as a good deal is would you rather have McCarthy + £14m or Fellaini?

They overpaid for McCarthy imo, but I also think they were overpaid for Fellaini by more or less the same amount so it's balanced out well

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,296 ✭✭✭EdenHazard

Corholio wrote: »
    Of course this may come back to bite me, but I think McCarthy's value will only go higher. Been a figurehead for Wigan in quite a lot of games for them. I really think he's going to get better and better.

Big fan of McCarthy(who will be underrated by so many on here because he's not a signing from La Liga) but a 13.5 centre mids team should not be getting relegated imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,207 ✭✭✭miralize

EdenHazard wrote: »
    Big fan of McCarthy(who will be underrated by so many on here because he's not a signing from La Liga) but a 13.5 centre mids team should not be getting relegated imo.

Is there any need to be this dismissive?

• Advertisement

In terms of what?

Its obvious McCarthys fee inflated due to Fellaini. Still don't think its near the most inflated fee of today never mind the window.

Hamilton receive 20% of the McCarthy fee apparently,they must be delighted.

Good players cant play with teams that get relegated?

He was bought because he already showed he well he played in the Premiership.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

You can't have a dig by saying he'll be underrated by many on here and then in your very next sentence basically say that he's overpriced as he didn't single-handedly keep his team up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

Just read that only circa 20,000 turned up to see Bale and there was a chant of don't sell Ozil.

• Advertisement
Advertisement