Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Deadline Day Thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,042 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

EdenHazard wrote: »
    Big fan of McCarthy(who will be underrated by so many on here because he's not a signing from La Liga) but a 13.5 centre mids team should not be getting relegated imo.

Roy Keane got relegated with Forest at around the same age.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,296 ✭✭✭EdenHazard

Paully D wrote: »
    You can't have a dig by saying he'll be underrated by many on here and then in your very next sentence basically say that he's overpriced as he didn't single-handedly keep his team up.

Not something I really think but perhaps it could be an argument against his fee, tbh all things considered its pretty much what he should be worth.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,917 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

Hope Nick Powell gets plenty of game time in midfield for Wigan now.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,818 ✭✭✭swoody

think this was last summers window, it's your man that told the pool fans to shssssss earlier.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,207 ✭✭✭miralize

OTf7ZjU.png

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

Made my sides hurt :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,818 ✭✭✭swoody

poor fella's out of a job now and thx fúck for that.

cq5dam.thumbnail.490.338.margin.png

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

JPA wrote: »
    Not really, how much better is he than say Ashley Westwood? Similar player.
    £13 million is actually insanity for a cash strapped club. That money should be spent on match winners.

They aren't cash strapped though.
    Before a ball was kicked this year they were £40 million richer than last year, then they sold Screech for £27m and Anachebie for £5m, that's so that's £70m there that they could afford to spend on transfers without effecting their balance sheets compared to last year.

It's not like they are broke.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

I noticed they didn't have anyone around Stoke today. I think Sky will change the way they operate on deadline days after todays goings on. It was definitely the worst I have seen since deadline day has become a big event.

They had to stop filming outside Carrington and moved the guy from Melwood to Anfield. There were a few other incidents where they moved at Crystal Palace, Sunderland, Arsenal and Everton.

Nothing really happened today at Liverpool but Carrington was the important one (although Fellaini didnt actually go to Carrington apparently). Seeing people arrive at the grounds is a big part of the excitement of the day but was taken away because of the local chavs.

A few clubs like Everton, Palace and West Brom seem to have accommodated the reporters somewhere else after incidents. Hopefully during the next window we see the reporters in places that are less accessible to the public. Nobody enjoys seeing all the hood rats making gestures and shouting things they think are funny. It spoils the enjoyment for everybody at home. It makes it uncomfortable viewing.

I think it is important that we as viewers complain about the goings on.

In terms of what?

£11M for Carlos Tevez is a very good deal

£13.5m for McCarthy is getting the job done, despite paying over the odds. Not an "amazing" deal by any stretch of the imagination imo

Tevez is (a) knocking on 30, (b) on insane wages, (c)had one year left on his contract and (d) a player his club wanted rid of.

Comparing the two transfers if daft.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 829 ✭✭✭smellmepower

Lot of money leaving the EPL in comparison to it's rivals.
    Premiership OUT: £610.2m IN: £188.4m MINUS £421.8m
    La Liga OUT: £336m IN: 432m PLUS £96.4m
    Serie A OUT: £334m IN: £345m PLUS £10.9m
    Ligue 1 OUT: £314m IN: £184m MINUS £130.2m
    Russian Liga OUT: £239m IN: £223m MINUS £16.1m
    Bundesliga OUT: £231.6m IN: £179.8m MINUS £51.7m

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭Pj!

Lot of money leaving the EPL in comparison to it's rivals.

£610m out can't be right can it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,469 ✭✭✭✭GTR63

Pj! wrote: »
    £610m out can't be right can it?

Pretty sure they spent about that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,462 ✭✭✭✭WoollyRedHat

GTR63 wrote: »
    Pretty sure they spent about that.

Spurs alone spent around 88m, Arsenal 44m and thats just for starters.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,166 ✭✭✭Beefy78

Those figures are wrong. Total spend was less than £600m and a lot of that stayed in England.

Also it's ridiculous when people compare transfer fees as if that's the only cost of a transfer, as people were a couple of pages back. The wage is at least as important.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,919 ✭✭✭simongurnick

I noticed they didn't have anyone around Stoke today. I think Sky will change the way they operate on deadline days after todays goings on. It was definitely the worst I have seen since deadline day has become a big event.

They had to stop filming outside Carrington and moved the guy from Melwood to Anfield. There were a few other incidents where they moved at Crystal Palace, Sunderland, Arsenal and Everton.

Nothing really happened today at Liverpool but Carrington was the important one (although Fellaini didnt actually go to Carrington apparently). Seeing people arrive at the grounds is a big part of the excitement of the day but was taken away because of the local chavs.

A few clubs like Everton, Palace and West Brom seem to have accommodated the reporters somewhere else after incidents. Hopefully during the next window we see the reporters in places that are less accessible to the public. Nobody enjoys seeing all the hood rats making gestures and shouting things they think are funny. It spoils the enjoyment for everybody at home. It makes it uncomfortable viewing.

I think it is important that we as viewers complain about the goings on.

Down with that sort of thing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

Isnt it odd that transfermarket, who are normally pretty reliable don't have Bales fee down as a world record one, they have it as 80.03 million

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,205 ✭✭✭Gringo180

kryogen wrote: »
    Isnt it odd that transfermarket, who are normally pretty reliable don't have Bales fee down as a world record one, they have it as 80.03 million

Id say its Sky talking bollocks again.

Gringo180 wrote: »
    Id say its Sky talking bollocks again.

Dunno, just found it odd is all. Do either of the clubs have to declare the actual transfer fee?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,205 ✭✭✭Gringo180

kryogen wrote: »
    Dunno, just found it odd is all. Do either of the clubs have to declare the actual transfer fee?

I honestly couldnt tell ye mate. But you would think they would considering it could be a world record fee.

Spurs definitely wouldn't afaik, they are a private company, not sure about Madrid though

Real Madrid would have to release their finances every year for all of their members. It may not be known until the annual report comes out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Did the Coentrao deal fall through in the end?

Apparently United announced the Feilani signing for an undisclosed amount, Everton published the £27.5 Million figure a couple of hours later. Ouch!

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,406 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

K-9 wrote: »

Apparently United announced the Feilani signing for an undisclosed amount, Everton published the £27.5 Million figure a couple of hours later. Ouch!

Haha, fair play Everton - that's what you get for trying to disrespect a club in the fashion Utd did.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,042 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

It appears that way. No confirmation of him on their website. There were reports yesterday that Real would only put through their side of the loan agreement if they got Sequeira on loan themselves, but he went to Benfica.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    Haha, fair play Everton - that's what you get for trying to disrespect a club in the fashion Utd did.

Great bit of business from them yesterday, McCarthy might be a bit over priced but that's 2 excellent loan signings, impressive stuff.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,697 ✭✭✭ciaran76

Lads here is a nice site of all Prem. teams and their signings and costs etc.

http://www.transfermarkt.com/en/premier-league/transferuebersicht/wettbewerb_GB1.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,139 ✭✭✭Red Crow

LuckyLloyd wrote: »

What's this disrespect bollox all about? Are we going to pretend that low ball offers don't happen all the time? By the same token Everton disrespected poor-old championship Wigan.

Some people will try anything for a little pathetic dig.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

I've no time for Wigan and their media whooooore chairman TBH, so the more he gets screwed over the better.

What's this disrespect bollox all about? Are we going to pretend that low ball offers don't happen all the time? By the same token Everton disrespected poor-old championship Wigan.

Some people will try anything for a little pathetic dig.

You offered £28m for both Fellaini and Baines and then a few weeks later were forced to pony that up for the former alone. Ye played it bad and lost. Happens to everyone from time to time.

Clubs do it all the time, and sometimes they pay a price for doing so. Liverpool paid for disprespecting Fulham last year, and Utd pay for disprespecting Everton this year. Suck it up!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,925 ✭✭✭aidan24326

For all the criticism of Woodward Moyes has to take some stick too as he wasted a lot of time chasing Fabregas when that deal was never really on.

aidan24326 wrote: »
    For all the criticism of Woodward Moyes has to take some stick too as he wasted a lot of time chasing Fabregas when that deal was never really on.

I think some people think Managers are far more involved in transfer negations than they really are.

Odds are Moyes gave the club a list and said "work off that" and the club took it from there.

Its not the 80s anymore with harry redknap tapping up players behind chip vans.

Utd should have completed the Fellaini deal a long time ago tbh. Seems clear they wanted two midfield players last night so they should have brought Fellaini in, had him available for the first couple of competitive games, and then provided breathing room to secure a second target whether it be Herrera or an ambitious poke at Ozil / Fabregas / whoever.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

Imagine getting a free Baines. Cheeky.

Seaneh wrote: »
    I think some people think Managers are far more involved in transfer negations than they really are.

Odds are Moyes gave the club a list and said "work off that" and the club took it from there.

Its not the 80s anymore with harry redknap tapping up players behind chip vans.

Poppycock. Harry Redknapp was hanging around a Kiev stripclub all this week waiting for Niko Kranjcar to pop in for his usual.

• Site Banned Posts: 26,456 ✭✭✭✭Nuri Sahin

I read it was dependant on Real Madrid signing the LB we (Liverpool) wanted from Granada. Would've been very odd for them to let Coentrao leave without having a replacement, though I suppose Arbeloa could have played there given he's done it a few times in his career, even going as far as to completely lock down Messi on his Liverpool debut :cool:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,798 ✭✭✭karma_

After all Moyes whinging about the Lescott to City deal he comes out of this looking really bad and loses a fair amount of respect, even though other than pinpointing Fellani and Baines as targets he likely wasn't at fault for the most part, still looks bad by association.

Whole thing was handled so badly, allowing a clause to lapse then paying more on the last hour of deadline day? LOL.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,720 ✭✭✭✭thebaz

karma_ wrote: »
    After all Moyes whinging about the Lescott to City deal he comes out of this looking really bad and loses a fair amount of respect, even though other than pinpointing Fellani and Baines as targets he likely wasn't at fault for the most part, still looks bad by association.

don't follow this at all - I take it you just dont like Moyes

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,798 ✭✭✭karma_

thebaz wrote: »
    don't follow this at all - I take it you just dont like Moyes

You don't follow how this could be seen as Hypocrisy?

I don't mind Moyes at all in fairness, I just think he comes out of this looking a little tarnished.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,720 ✭✭✭✭thebaz

karma_ wrote: »
    You don't follow how this could be seen as Hypocrisy?

I don't mind Moyes at all in fairness, I just think he comes out of this looking a little tarnished.

not really in the world of 2013 professional management, did very little that no other manager wouldn't do - the only thing I think he did wrong was not going after his targets earlier - and the term Dithering david still persists

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,469 ✭✭✭✭GTR63

thebaz wrote: »
    not really in the world of 2013 professional management, did very little that no other manager wouldn't do - the only thing I think he did wrong was not going after his targets earlier - and the term Dithering david still persists

Yeah he should of gotten Fellaini earlier but so late in the market I think he felt a bit better the player you know that the one you don't. Everton got good money for him too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭Dempsey

Didnt most media reports say that the clause was due to lapse on the 15th of August and it was only after the 1st of August did it emerge that the clause lapsed after the 31st July. It was a good bit of misinformation from Everton and in general Ed Woodward should be taking bulk of the flak regarding the entire transfer window with the board taking the rest for appointing him with so little experience in transfer dealings.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,377 ✭✭✭Smithwicks Man

Nice vote of confidence for Evra too, trying to replace him on DDay. Although I have my doubts that Moyes was going to play Coentrao at LB , but you never know.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭Dempsey

Nice vote of confidence for Evra too, trying to replace him on DDay. Although I have my doubts that Moyes was going to play Coentrao at LB , but you never know.

I LOL'd at Sky Sports suggesting that they were going to play Coentrao at LB and play Evra on the wing! They really dont have a clue about continental players until they get off the boat in Engerland

• Registered Users Posts: 7,521 ✭✭✭Giggsy11

Even if Coentrao was signed he would have been back up or rotated for the LB spot and would have played as winger in few games.

Giggsy11 wrote: »
    Even if Coentrao was signed he would have been back up or rotated for the LB spot and would have played as winger in few games.
    I'd imagine he'd have established himself as 1st choice on the left wing but thing I'd also expect Kagawa to make the team as well.
    Dempsey wrote: »
    I LOL'd at Sky Sports suggesting that they were going to play Coentrao at LB and play Evra on the wing! They really dont have a clue about continental players until they get off the boat in Engerland

Clueless, clueless people. They went over to Sky Italia at one stage and asked the reporter there if the Milan fans had forgiven Kaká for leaving for Madrid 4 years ago. Kaká was forced to leave by the club as they needed the money and always wanted to stay and everyone knew it, apparently they can't even google him to find that out though!

And the way they talk about the "Number 10" as though it's some mystical position is laughable.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,213 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

I think the summer long chase of Baines might have let the cat out of the bag before yesterday.......

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

And the way they talk about the "Number 10" as though it's some mystical position is laughable.

Like the "famous number 9" shirt they reference during every single Newcastle game. You'd think no other club ever had a player wearing number 9.

I think the summer long chase of Baines might have let the cat out of the bag before yesterday.......

True :pac:

Nice way to boost morale along with everything else!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,846 ✭✭✭Moneymaker

Paully D wrote: »
    Like the "famous number 9" shirt they reference during every single Newcastle game. You'd think no other club ever had a player wearing number 9.

You're obsessed.

Advertisement