Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Deadline Day Thread

1101112131416»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,009 ✭✭✭kronsington

I see Reading are in talks with Mohamed Sissokho, formerly of juventus and Liverpool who had his contract terminated by psg yesterday. surprised a bigger club didn't come in for him, he's just 28

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,154 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

I see Reading are in talks with Mohamed Sissokho, formerly of juventus and Liverpool who had his contract terminated by psg yesterday. surprised a bigger club didn't come in for him, he's just 28

Surprised by this aswell.

Would certainly take him at Villa.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

RE: Evra...

I've felt for most of the summer that Evra has told Moyes he either plans on leaving or retiring next summer, and the plan was to get someone in this season to act as cover and become his replacement then next summer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

2znmknb.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,469 ✭✭✭✭GTR63

League spending this summer (in Euros) (As per transfermarkt.de) -

EPL - €747 mln spent; €252 mln received
    La Liga - €382 mln spent; €492 mln received
    Serie A - €380 mln spent; €393 mln received
    Ligue 1 - €357 mln spent; €209 mln received
    Bundesliga - €263 mln spent; €204 mln received

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

The PL needs to go on a diet! Actually while it looks bloated the funds are there thanks to the TV deal - over 5 billion quid, plus Spurs were actually in the black this summer. Liverpool only spent 23 million more than raised and so on. Man City and Chelsea are the standout net spenders 90 and 60m.

Gross spend

Real Madrid CF 181.500.000 €
    Monaco 166.200.000 €
    Tottenham 121.875.000 €
    Man City 116.000.000 €
    PSG 110.900.000 €
    SSC Napoli 86.950.000 €
    Chelsea 77.850.000 €
    FC Barcelona 70.000.000 €
    Dinamo Moskva 67.900.000 €
    Shakhtar D. 67.000.000 €

Gross revenue

Anzhi 136.350.000 €
    Tottenham 127.020.000 €
    Real Madrid CF 114.500.000 €
    AS Roma 104.900.000 €
    Sevilla FC 90.400.000 €
    Atlético Madrid 78.000.000 €
    FC Porto 74.600.000 €
    SSC Napoli 70.700.000 €
    Santos 70.200.000 €
    Shakhtar D. 67.500.000 €

GavRedKing wrote: »
    I've no time for Wigan and their media whooooore chairman TBH, so the more he gets screwed over the better.

I like Dave Whelan. Good football man with an amazing story behind how he built his fortune.

A Chelsea fan giving out about a 'media whore' when you consider who their current and much loved manager is??....ha ha you couldnt make it up :D

• Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭seligehgit

Fair play to whinger, didn't ever think he'd have the gumption to buy a player like Ozil, one really jealous Manc here.Dismal transfer window for ourselves.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,426 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

What happened to Boards last night anyone?
    Pages wouldn't change and had difficulty viewing messages.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,949 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

What happened to Boards last night anyone?
    Pages wouldn't change and had difficulty viewing messages.

United fans borked it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,829 ✭✭✭✭Panthro

seligehgit wrote: »
    Fair play to whinger, didn't ever think he'd have the gumption to buy a player like Ozil, one really jealous Manc here.Dismal transfer window for ourselves.

I thought it was spelt "Wenger"?
    Oh...oh wait...
    I see what you did there.
    Noice.

Panthro wrote: »
    I thought it was spelt "Wenger"?
    Oh...oh wait...
    I see what you did there.
    Noice.

He's back to 'Whinger' now that we are signing world class players and a strong possibility of contention :D

Before that it was the patronising comments 'Ah he is a great man on such a tight budget, there there ye done well coming 4th..blah blah blah blah'

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,304 ✭✭✭✭ctrl-alt-delete

So what happened to Shane Long in the end,

Did he actually travel to Hull, or was that just all made up?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

So what happened to Shane Long in the end,

Did he actually travel to Hull, or was that just all made up?

Deal was pulled post medical in Hull by WBA after Everton nicked Lukaku, it seems.

Grayditch wrote: »
    Deal was pulled post medical in Hull by WBA after Everton nicked Lukaku, it seems.

Did he not speak to Hull in Dublin?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭Dempsey

Did he not speak to Hull in Dublin?

Flew to England AFAIK

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Özil is the best signing of the lot I'd say, though I think Arsenal needed one or two more players to go with him. Never seen a player have a name pronounced so differently either.

Oh-Zil

Aw-Zil

Ugh-Zil

Oh-Zeel

I was under the impression it was said like 'Ugh-Zil' but I could be wrong.

I thought Liverpool made some very good signings; Everton got a nice bit of business done at the last minute too.

United did okay. I think Fellaini will be a good addition, but to make inroads in Europe they need a more creative presence. He'll help in the league, though, I'm sure.

I thought it was like "Euhtszill".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,909 ✭✭✭Neeson

It's OO-zeel

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,612 ✭✭✭dubrov

I like Dave Whelan. Good football man with an amazing story behind how he built his fortune.

A Chelsea fan giving out about a 'media whore' when you consider who their current and much loved manager is??....ha ha you couldnt make it up :D

Come on. Dave Whelan is never out of the press, always trying to talk himself up the or hawk one of his players. He rarely speaks any truth.

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 26,456 ✭✭✭✭Nuri Sahin

Ugh-zeel is how you say it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,375 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

Ö not O. It may sound like nothing but it changed the pronunciation quite a bit. It's uh-zill but English speakers just say Oh-zil.

Like ö in Götze, Guhtzeh. Or as nuri and lars pronounce it, Judas.

Seen a few Arsenal jerseys already with Özil 11(no full kit btw), even though I think it was a wee bit steep I am happy Arsene treated himself for once.
    Glenn Hoddle bemoaning foreigners again on Sky, came across as a they keep to themselves type. And moaned about the lack of English eligible transfers, an example is the price Liverpool were quoted for Will Hughes(who I genuinely never heard of) is the reason for this you clown.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭astonaidan

Özil is the best signing of the lot I'd say, though I think Arsenal needed one or two more players to go with him. Never seen a player have a name pronounced so differently either.

Oh-Zil

Aw-Zil

Ugh-Zil

Oh-Zeel

I thought Liverpool made some very good signings; Everton got a nice bit of business done at the last minute too.

United did okay. I think Fellaini will be a good addition, but to make inroads in Europe they need a more creative presence. He'll help in the league, though, I'm sure.

According to my German friend its Oy Zil

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,829 ✭✭✭✭Panthro

I think we should all just refer to him as "Tomeen"
    (no reason)

dubrov wrote: »
    Come on. Dave Whelan is never out of the press, always trying to talk himself up the or hawk one of his players. He rarely speaks any truth.

Yep, he plays a game in order to do what's best for his club Wigan FC and personally i see nothing wrong with that. Far far worse in football then Dave Whelan.

Its gas the way Liverpool and their fans were so critical of Whelan talking to the media the time they approached Martinez. It wasn't a problem for them when Rogers and Henry were shooting their mouth off when Arsenal made the offer for Suarez though. People have selective memories

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,213 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

Oh-Zil

Aw-Zil

Ugh-Zil

Oh-Zeel

If you're Gerry Armstrong it's Urr-zil. Could never figure out how he got the pronounciation.

• Site Banned Posts: 26,456 ✭✭✭✭Nuri Sahin

GTR63 wrote: »
    Seen a few Arsenal jerseys already with Özil 11(no full kit btw), even though I think it was a wee bit steep I am happy Arsene treated himself for once.
    Glenn Hoddle bemoaning foreigners again on Sky, came across as a they keep to themselves type. And moaned about the lack of English eligible transfers, an example is the price Liverpool were quoted for Will Hughes(who I genuinely never heard of) is the reason for this you clown.

Was he complaining about Spurs or Chelsea's signings?

Nuri Sahin wrote: »
    Was he complaining about Spurs or Chelsea's signings?

He was about Spurs he said that they are too slow in the build up further back in the midfield and shouldn't of sold Huddlestone. Redknapp then chimed in by saying because they signed Lamela, Andros Townsend won't get game time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Yep, he plays a game in order to do what's best for his club Wigan FC and personally i see nothing wrong with that. Far far worse in football then Dave Whelan.

Its gas the way Liverpool and their fans were so critical of Whelan talking to the media the time they approached Martinez. It wasn't a problem for them when Rogers and Henry were shooting their mouth off when Arsenal made the offer for Suarez though. People have selective memories

Yeah Whelan was on 5 live at 9 pm saying McCarthy wasn't going to happen and all that, was just negotiating stuff to get Everton to offer more, he was completely right as Everton was in trying to get him at a low price. That was different to Moyes and United though, and I defended Moyes's appointment, so no axe to grind there or a United thing.

Liverpool was different again, Arsenal obviously knew about the £40 Million clause in Suarez's contract. No problem there, these things are often in the press or with agents and all that, are widely known. It was the brazen way Arsenal offered £1 more that mad it so bloody obvious!

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,694 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

Oat23 wrote: »
    Ö not O. It may sound like nothing but it changed the pronunciation quite a bit. It's uh-zill but English speakers just say Oh-zil.

Like ö in Götze, Guhtzeh. Or as nuri and lars pronounce it, Judas.

Is the umlaut still represented/replaceable by an e? As in Oezil, Goetze.

I is pronounced ee, -zill will annoy me when I hear it..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

The key difference is the media have a hard on for Mourinho, Whelan is different kettle of fish, looking for any opportunity to tout his business and speak absolute tripe when given the chance.

Dave Whelan is a head wrecker. I don't care who anyone supports or how hypocrital that makes them, but the chap is a meeeeelt. He's done great things. Probably a sound lad in person. But in the media.. .Melt. Melt. Melt.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,480 ✭✭✭ronjo

The key difference is the media have a hard on for Mourinho, Whelan is different kettle of fish, looking for any opportunity to tout his business and speak absolute tripe when given the chance.

B*llocks thats a key difference.
    They are both media whores who as you say speak absolute tripe when given the chance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,166 ✭✭✭Beefy78

K-9 wrote: »
    Arsenal obviously knew about the £40 Million clause in Suarez's contract. No problem there, these things are often in the press or with agents and all that, are widely known. It was the brazen way Arsenal offered £1 more that mad it so bloody obvious!

I don't get this at all. Henry Winter was on Sunday Supplement a couple of weeks ago going on about how the £1 extra was a joke of a bid and an insult to Suarez but I don't get what they were supposed to do in that circumstance. Just chuck £5m away so that the number looked better? It was Liverpool who made that public anyway.

• Advertisement

ronjo wrote: »
    B*llocks thats a key difference.
    They are both media whores who as you say speak absolute tripe when given the chance.

You do realise a manager has to give weekly press conference and more often then not they attend, same goes for when UTV/BBC/BT/Sky request the manager for a post match interview, they usually oblige.

I find the British medias love for Mourinho OTT but on the flip side, a chairman/owner shouldnt really be in the spotlight that a manager is in, the only reason Whelan is, is because he puts himself in it, same with the Napoli chairman actually.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Beefy78 wrote: »
    I don't get this at all. Henry Winter was on Sunday Supplement a couple of weeks ago going on about how the £1 extra was a joke of a bid and an insult to Suarez but I don't get what they were supposed to do in that circumstance. Just chuck £5m away so that the number looked better? It was Liverpool who made that public anyway.

It's just politics and PR stuff for fans. The £1 was taking the piss and was always going to attract attention.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

You do realise a manager has to give weekly press conference and more often then not they attend, same goes for when UTV/BBC/BT/Sky request the manager for a post match interview, they usually oblige.

I find the British medias love for Mourinho OTT but on the flip side, a chairman/owner shouldnt really be in the spotlight that a manager is in, the only reason Whelan is, is because he puts himself in it, same with the Napoli chairman actually.

Why? There is no rulebook on who should say or do what. Owners are just as, if not more than important than the managers.

• Registered Users Posts: 712 ✭✭✭SweepTheLeg

Why? There is no rulebook on who should say or do what. Owners are just as, if not more than important than the managers.

I know what he's trying to say. Managers have to give their press conferences, post match analysis etc... They are always in the spotlight.

Dave Whelan just loves the attention. Most other owners are never heard from, and rightly so.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭EuropeanSon

What is meant is that there's no reason for them to be in that spotlight other than their desire to be in it. A manager has no choice, but if an owner is in the spotlight, it's because they sought it.

• Advertisement

There is an FA rule book, you cant just say whatever you want but thats just being pedantic really.

I agree owners are more important then managers to a degree but an owner in the background doing business and signing up sponsors not ringing up Sky Sports when theres a chance to get some air time or running to the media spouting sh*te about transfer and players.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,672 ✭✭✭elefant

dfx- wrote: »
    Is the umlaut still represented/replaceable by an e? As in Oezil, Goetze.

I is pronounced ee, -zill will annoy me when I hear it..

No, as it is not an umlaut- it's a Turkish name.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,036 ✭✭✭jem

Panthro wrote: »
    I think we should all just refer to him as "Tomeen"
    (no reason)
    Maybe call him dave (like trigger)

Advertisement