Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Deadline Day Thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,553 ✭✭✭✭Copper_pipe

BBC Sport ‏@BBCSport 17s
    Arsenal agree a 50m euros (£42.4m) fee with Real Madrid to sign Germany midfielder Mesut Ozil #afc

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,166 ✭✭✭Beefy78

kippy wrote: »
    This is Real Madrid you are talking about here, very little makes sense when it comes to them.

I know. They're a complete circus. BBC are confirming that Ozil is done for £46m. WHAT IS HAPPENING?!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,704 ✭✭✭G.K.

11 HOURS TO GO !!!!!!! :eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Arsenal have just rescued their window, does Ozil out mean Real will try Liverpool again?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

Beefy78 wrote: »
    I know. They're a complete circus. BBC are confirming that Ozil is done for £46m. WHAT IS HAPPENING?!

Looks like the long wait was worth it for Arsenal. 2 or 3 more signings and we'll be contenders

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,042 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

If the Ozil deal is true then the Bale transfer fee doesn't seem like that bad business only a few hours later.

If the Ozil deal is true then the Bale transfer fee doesn't seem like that bad business only a few hours later.

except for the fact that Bale is no way worth 2 Ozils. Still at the Bernabeu it probably makes perfect financial sense.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

No doubt he's a great player but it looks like a signing Wenger has made out of desperation rather than need. I'd have thought a goalscorer and CM who isn't made of paper would have been far more important than another attacking midfielder.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,365 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

the Ozil one is simple.

Arsenal don't strictly need him, but if a player of his calibre comes along, you can't really say no.

he'd improve them.

a lot.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭Dickerty

mike65 wrote: »
    Arsenal have just rescued their window, does Ozil out mean Real will try Liverpool again?

Well, it's not exactly what they need (a star striker), but certainly no bad addition!

Looking at the Real line-up - Benzema is a bit of a weak link. Nowhere near clinical enough to be the point man in that attack, although I think he's got a lot going for him. Wouldn't be surprised if Real tried a late swoop, but we should be asking 60M at this late stage. Or Benzema and 30M.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,748 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

No doubt he's a great player but it looks like a signing Wenger has made out of desperation rather than need. I'd have thought a goalscorer and CM who isn't made of paper would have been far more important than another attacking midfielder.

With Gervinho gone, Ox and Podolski injured, AM/Wings is a priority tbh. At the moment they haven't got a senior sub for any of the 3 players in a 4-2-3-1.

The bench yesterday was
    21 Fabianski
    03 Sagna
    17 Monreal
    20 Flamini
    44 Gnabry
    58 Gedion Zelalem
    22 Sanogo

Only a teenager who can cover any of those positions. If Ozil comes in Rosicky probably goes to the bench.

Since when was Ozil "another attacking midfielder". There aren't many teams who woudn't benefit from him being in their 1st 11.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,862 ✭✭✭✭inforfun

Found this in my twitter..... dont know if it is true.

In 2008 Southampton traded their 25% Gareth Bale sell on fee for goalkeeper Tommy Forecast. Gutted

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,625 ✭✭✭✭Johner

What a signing from Arsenal. :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

SlickRic wrote: »
    the Ozil one is simple.

Arsenal don't strictly need him, but if a player of his calibre comes along, you can't really say no.

he'd improve them.

a lot.

I know. But so would Higuain. As I said I think this is last day desperation from Wenger.

greendom wrote: »
    Since when was Ozil "another attacking midfielder". There aren't many teams who woudn't benefit from him being in their 1st 11.

I agree he'll definitely benefit them. But if he splashed the cash earlier in the summer and on other players I think they would be in a much better position.

• Site Banned Posts: 26,456 ✭✭✭✭Nuri Sahin

Leaves Cazorla out wide too.

Newstalk have reported that Arsenal have also made an enquiry about Demba Ba.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,325 ✭✭✭smileyj1987

Peter Odemwingie just turned up at my house to ask if I wanted to sign him up to collect groceries on a weekly basis.. chancer!

I know. But so would Higuain. As I said I think this is last day desperation from Wenger.

I agree he'll definitely benefit them. But if he splashed the cash earlier in the summer and on other players I think they would be in a much better position.

True - damn Suarez and his agents - wouldn't be surprised if it was an Anfield plot to keep Higuain out of our clutches :D

inforfun wrote: »
    Found this in my twitter..... dont know if it is true.

In 2008 Southampton traded their 25% Gareth Bale sell on fee for goalkeeper Tommy Forecast. Gutted

It's pretty much true. When they were going through their financial meltdown they let Spurs buy out the clause for a cash sum and Forecast, who was on loan with them at the time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭EuropeanSon

I still don't believe we're signing Ozil. One of the best players in the world, why the hell would Real let him go?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,623 ✭✭✭double GG

signing probably one of the best players in his position is desperation?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 25,003 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

greendom wrote: »
    Looks like the long wait was worth it for Arsenal. 2 or 3 more signings and we'll be contenders

exasperation.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,802 ✭✭✭✭kippy

I still don't believe we're signing Ozil. One of the best players in the world, why the hell would Real let him go?

Again, it's Real, numerous reasons..........

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,734 ✭✭✭Fowler87

Kaka to Milan on a free transfer. Just around 50+ million profit for Milan then. Perhaps their best bit of transfer business ever

• Registered Users Posts: 633 ✭✭✭Bertser

Ozil was 2/1 to join Arsenal 2 hours ago, now into 1/10, anyone get on that earlier?

kippy wrote: »
    Again, it's Real, numerous reasons..........

If we sign him, he will immediately be the best player in the EPL. Why would nobody else with more money and appeal (that is, City or Utd, as Chelsea are a bit overfull in his position) sign him?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,623 ✭✭✭double GG

Fowler87 wrote: »
    Kaka to Milan on a free transfer. Just around 50+ million profit for Milan then. Perhaps their best bit of transfer business ever

Perhaps, but who knows the potential success he could have brought Milan directly and indirectly in new signings etc.

still 50 million profit ain't half bad.

Fowler87 wrote: »

True. Where was Kaka at when Man City bid £100m for him a few years back? Wherever it was they must have been kicking themselves for turning that bid down.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,469 ✭✭✭✭GTR63

Beefy78 wrote: »
    True. Where was Kaka at when Man City bid £100m for him a few years back? Wherever it was they must have been kicking themselves for turning that bid down.

Think Kaka turned that down more than Milan did. Its well known that if he left Milan he`d head to Real. For a guy apparently lacking in charisma Bale seemingly drew a good crowd.

Loughc wrote: »
    exasperation.gif

Listen, we've just make the biggest transfer in our history. Allow me a little hyperbole, will you ? ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,017 ✭✭✭TheMilkyPirate

I cannot believe Ozil is going to Arsenal, What a signing.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,351 ✭✭✭magherakid

Haven't seen Harry Redknapp hanging out of a car window yet :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭Kerrydude1981

He could be fantasy football gold that lad.

Class player and will be a massive boost to Arsenal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,018 ✭✭✭Barr

Has it been confirmed ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭RidleyRider

Barr wrote: »
    Has it been confirmed ?

He's having a medical.

Hopefully nobody pulls a Chelsea with Willian type move on us.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,704 ✭✭✭G.K.

JUST UNDER 10 HOURS TO GO!!!! :eek::eek::eek::eek:

BTJlX3TIcAAD-fF.jpg

Only a shifty man outside Arsenals training ground. He may need a tent if he`s waiting for Mesut

Dossena has apparently moved to Sunderland.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,285 ✭✭✭Frankie Lee

SlickRic wrote: »
    Dossena has apparently moved to Sunderland.

Good signing for them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,877 ✭✭✭RayCon

inforfun wrote: »

Didn't see that coming

• Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭Kerrydude1981

SSN reporting Arsenal want to sign Demba Ba

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,190 ✭✭✭✭IvySlayer

Arsenal going for Demba Ba

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

IvySlayer wrote: »
    Arsenal going for Demba Ba

Brilliant. :)

Free or best offer i reckon. :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

Brilliant signing for Arsenal if it goes through.

He'll be one of the best players in the league instantly, great news for the PL and will make Arsenal some team to watch from a neutral perspective.

Highest assister in the world last season iirc, and scores a good amount of goals as well

Giroud must be like this at home watching tv hearing that news

66318_600.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

Selling Sessegnon to a club we would be expecting to be in or around us this season along with replacing him with a loan signing who will be straight back to his parent club next season if he does well along with signing an almost 32 year old left back who failed a medical at Serie A relegation battlers Torino last week.

Pure desperation stuff from us after what looked like being a promising transfer window earlier in the summer. Pathetic. It's going to be a very long season.

Usain Bolt on SSN asking for a "Creative Midfielder" like a sad twat. Is Kagawa not that you twonk!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,280 ✭✭✭Glico Man

9 HOURS TO GO !!!!! :eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

GTR63 wrote: »
    Usain Bolt on SSN asking for a "Creative Midfielder" like a sad twat. Is Kagawa not that you twonk!

Fabregas/Modric

Obviously not those, but it's obvious he means a player in that mould.

He also said we need another midfielder to take control of the game as well

• Advertisement
Advertisement