Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Deadline Day Thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 618 ✭✭✭pandaboy

1236520_10151564200321493_1726376548_n.jpg

Diana Ross in equestrian type medical at undisclosed football club.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,166 ✭✭✭Beefy78

Shevchenko, Veron, Ballack, Aguero and Torres.

Maybe the latter two but I'd say Ozil is ahead of both of them. The first three were well past their peak.

Ozil is 24, is Germany's main man and Real Madrid's playmaker. This is huge.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,469 ✭✭✭✭GTR63

Is Niall finished talking yet?? :D

(In Mike Goldberg voice)
    Coming up next......Ray Wilkins and Jamie Redknapp. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭Kerrydude1981

GTR63 wrote: »
    (In Mike Goldberg voice)
    Coming up next......Ray Wilkins and Jamie Redknapp. ;)

Ray

"Lovely lad the boy Herrera"

Jamie

"Even though I dont know who he is he is a top top player"

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,535 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

They're arguable yeah. Ozil is certainly in the same group though. I personally think he's a bigger coup than any of them for various reasons.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,662 ✭✭✭Luckycharms_74

Lukaku is set to join Everton on loan according to reports in Holland and Belgium.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,802 ✭✭✭✭kippy

Lukaku is set to join Everton on loan according to reports in Holland and Belgium.

I really don't know what is so wrong with Lukaku that he cannot get a run for Chelsea.......
    He will do very will with the Toffees, as he did with WBA.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭EuropeanSon

Torres and Aguero came from doing excellently for Athletico Madrid, to playing for top EPL sides. Ozil is coming from being one of the stars of Real Madrid, one of the top teams in the world. The difference is substantial.

As for the others, they were all a little on the downside of their careers. I think only Veron is close to being comparable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,887 ✭✭✭✭klose

Imo chelsea are mad letting lukaku go on loan again, their 3 striker options arent good enough for a title challenge

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,588 ✭✭✭daithijjj

Posted already?

t1NBnC9.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭Essien

Lol at the randomness of someone holding a potato behind the reporter at the Emirates.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,906 ✭✭✭✭PhlegmyMoses

Beefy78 wrote: »
    Maybe the latter two but I'd say Ozil is ahead of both of them. The first three were well past their peak.

Ozil is 24, is Germany's main man and Real Madrid's playmaker. This is huge.

Load of bollocks. Veron was 25 and off the back of being Lazio's best player in a double winning season.

Shevchenko was off the back of being top goalscorer in Serie A and a year after winning the Balon D'Or.

Ballack was 29, German player of the year, captain of Germany and in the 2006 all star World Cup XI when he signed for Chelsea.

Just because the didn't set the PL alight doesn't mean they weren't huge signings at the time. What's Ozil's pedigree relative to that? Alright season for Madrid and no longer first choice?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭prettyboy81

Pretty much an anti climax today for this transfer deadline day. No shock transfer so far!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,116 ✭✭✭Professional Griefer

:pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Neil Jones ‏@neiljonesecho 1m

#LFC say they are done for the night

• Registered Users Posts: 8,868 ✭✭✭Andersonisgod

Daragh clearly hasn't noticed the cameras or the strange men in suits and must think he is in a particularly rowdy pub.

Daragh clearly hasn't noticed the cameras or the strange men in suits and must think he is in a particularly rowdy pub.

I dont think Natalie is impressed with him

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭Depp

German outlet, "Kicker" are reporting that Zinedine #Zidane has blocked the #Özil move to #Arsenal.

— Arsene's Son (@hughwizzy) September 2, 2013

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

Depp wrote: »
    German outlet, "Kicker" are reporting that Zinedine #Zidane has blocked the #Özil move to #Arsenal.

Just read that on twitter! If that was true....:eek:

Fortunately/unfortunately it's not it seems.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,868 ✭✭✭Andersonisgod

I dont think Natalie is impressed with him

I think Niall yearns for the return of Jamie Redknapp and similar yes men.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,479 ✭✭✭CastingCouch

Depp wrote: »

Joke?

• Site Banned Posts: 26,456 ✭✭✭✭Nuri Sahin

Hull have agreed a club record fee in the region of £5m for West Brom striker Shane Long. He is undergoing a medical at the moment.

Benoit Assou-Ekotto have just announced via his twitter account that he has signed for QPR.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

Shane Long is a strange one for me. Surprised West Brom are letting him go.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,580 ✭✭✭✭CSF

Load of bollocks. Veron was 25 and off the back of being Lazio's best player in a double winning season.

Shevchenko was off the back of being top goalscorer in Serie A and a year after winning the Balon D'Or.

Ballack was 29, German player of the year, captain of Germany and in the 2006 all star World Cup XI when he signed for Chelsea.

Just because the didn't set the PL alight doesn't mean they weren't huge signings at the time. What's Ozil's pedigree relative to that? Alright season for Madrid and no longer first choice?
    The fact that he is leaving out of necessity rather than will in itself takes the shine off this one compared to others. Still a ****in unbelievable signing for Arsenal though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,887 ✭✭✭✭klose

Nuri Sahin wrote: »
    Hull have agreed a club record fee in the region of £5m for West Brom striker Shane Long. He is undergoing a medical at the moment.

Benoit Assou-Ekotto have just announced via his twitter account that he has signed for QPR.

I read anichebe is going to west brom for long, think theyll struggle

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,704 ✭✭✭G.K.

:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

2 HOURS TO GO !!!!!

:eek::eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭Depp

Joke?

not a joke but its being said thats why it hasnt been announced officially yet and theres a good chance it wont happen

• Registered Users Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭Evil_Clown

#emiratespotato

vine.co/v/h5UdQ9lHXFw

• Registered Users Posts: 712 ✭✭✭SweepTheLeg

Alright season for Madrid and no longer first choice?

Getting the highest assists in the league 2 seasons in a row is more than an "Alright season."

• Registered Users Posts: 5,818 ✭✭✭swoody

looks like WBA are preparing for the championship next season already.

• Advertisement

CSF wrote: »
    The fact that he is leaving out of necessity rather than will in itself takes the shine off this one compared to others. Still a ****in unbelievable signing for Arsenal though.

Don't get me wrong. Cracking player, just not quite the biggest ever signing in the PL.

Getting the highest assists in the league 2 seasons in a row is more than an "Alright season."

Doesn't tell the whole story. He wasn't at his best last year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 882 ✭✭✭darragh16

Signing the contract on the hood of 'Arry's car.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

Don't get me wrong. Cracking player, just not quite the biggest ever signing in the PL.

As far as foreign imports go and where they are in their careers hes bloody well up there.

Darragh is a gas man

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,224 ✭✭✭barone

be funny if arsenal signed nobody

• Registered Users Posts: 1,851 ✭✭✭redarmy

Darragh is a nob

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,723 ✭✭✭bazual

That_Guy wrote: »
    Kinnear can go and fúck himself. Ugh. Farcical transfer window from Newcastle as usual.

here here, I'm telling ya, queue the nzogbia bid

• Registered Users Posts: 606 ✭✭✭RedPeppers

Good Business by Hull I reckon, not sure of the logic of West Brom letting him go

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

We'll make a stupid bid for somebody we've no chance of getting. Cue "we tried" excuses tomorrow. Typical.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭Dempsey

Jérôme Boateng says Ozil is an Arsenal player via his FB account

McCarthy staying at Wigan according to 'Dave Whelan'.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

Why are Everton trying to fill their squad with the same Wigan team that got relegated last season???

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,645 ✭✭✭theoneeyedman

RedPeppers wrote: »
    Good Business by Hull I reckon, not sure of the logic of West Brom letting him go

Nothing against anichebe, but on what planet is he a better player than Long for the same money?

Doesn't tell the whole story. He wasn't at his best last year.

He got 6 less assists from the 11/12 season, But scored 6 more goals. So i wouldn't say he wasn't at his best, also played less games.

Saying that, He stats are still unrivaled.

He got 6 less assists from the 11/12 season, But scored 6 more goals. So i wouldn't say he wasn't at his best, also played less games.

Saying that, He stats are still unrivaled.

I watched him play a fair bit. With my eyeballs. The stats don't tell the whole story. Even the moat ardent Madrid or Ozil fan will tell you that. It's why Madrid are letting him go.

I watched him play a fair bit. With my eyeballs. The stats don't tell the whole story. Even the moat ardent Madrid or Ozil fan will tell you that. It's why Madrid are letting him go.

You kind of have a point, he needs a lot of protection in there to allow him to create, he was also subbed a lot too. He's not really an at it for 90 minute player. Saying all that, if I was an Arsenal fan I'd still be delighted to be signing him. Outstanding player.

Corholio wrote: »
    You kind of have a point, he needs a lot of protection in there to allow him to create, he was also subbed a lot too. He's not really an at it for 90 minute player. Saying all that, if I was an Arsenal fan I'd still be delighted to be signing him. Outstanding player.

Absolutely. If United weren't seemingly unable to utilise players like him, I'd love if he signed for us.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,535 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

I don't think Mourinho used him properly last season. There was a good number of cases where he was played wide in an attempt to pigeon-hole Modric into the team. Ozil can't play wide properly.

• Advertisement

I've seen him play plenty last season, but the stats do tell a lot. The Madrid fans weren't chanting "Don't sell Ozil" at the Bale reveal because they don't like him. He still got the most la liga assists last season and at Euro2012.

Also he's the key player at Germany, he'll get in over Gotze, Muller & Kroos at the WC next year every game.

Advertisement