Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Learning to skydive advice?

Options
  • 01-09-2013 6:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,789 ✭✭✭

Recently did a tandem parachute jump. Got hooked after one go and would love to take it up as a hobby. Am I right in thinking to budget just over a grand for a full AFF course?

How long would this take from start to finish if I was available to attend training most weekends?

Is the static line course a better or worse option?

Are IPC the best bet?

Any other advice please say so. Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 367 ✭✭jimmurt

BEASTERLY wrote: »
    Recently did a tandem parachute jump. Got hooked after one go and would love to take it up as a hobby. Am I right in thinking to budget just over a grand for a full AFF course?

How long would this take from start to finish if I was available to attend training most weekends?

Is the static line course a better or worse option?

Are IPC the best bet?

Any other advice please say so. Thanks.

Check out http://www.skydive.ie/ for the exact cost of the AFF package at the IPC. I would budget more as you'll want to start doing your solo jumps and coach jumps after your AFF. 25 jumps minimum for your A licence. After that people usually start putting together gear and that might cost more than all of the AFF + A licence jumps put together (depending on quality, age of gear etc.). It's an expensive hobby but worth it.

How long to complete AFF? Impossible to say. The AFF course is 7 jumps minimum, more if you fail any levels. The weather also has to be ideal for students and we're not blessed with great weatehr here. I know people who went to Spain and knocked out 7 levels of AFF in 3 days.

IMO, AFF is a lot better than static line but you could hear arguments for or against both. It's a lot more enjoyable I think and you get to freefall at terminal from jump 1.

IPC are a very good bet. Great instructors and we have a large amount of regular fun jumpers to jump with once you have your A.

Check out wind tunnels in England too. Great training tool and regularly used by students and experienced jumpers from the IPC.

• Registered Users Posts: 511 ✭✭✭Alan b.

i just completed my first jump course on saturday.
    i can see myself getting addicted to this sport and i spent a while deciding between AFF or static line.

2 things swayed it for me mainly,
    being able to pay per jump with static line is a plus. being able to spread the cost of the course over time, as if i dont have the cash, i dont jump, if i do, i can jump 2 or three times in the one day.
    and as the weather here is crap, doing the AFF course could take as long as doing the static course. more actual jumps, but time frame could be just a long.

and what was said to me by 2 jumpmasters was that with static line requiring more jumps, and beginning at a lower altitude, you get more time practicing canopy control then you wold with AFF.

neither method of attaining your licence makes a difference to the licence or qualification you get at the end either.

he did however say that if you where to do the AFF abroad, that would be worth considering. as groups regularly go to italy or spain and do a weeks jumping and come out the end with up to 25jumps completed as the weather can be so much more reliable. and that paackages can be cheaper then doing the AFF here

i done mine at IPC and hoping to get a couple of jumps in this weekend as the clouds where too low last weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭bog_savage

Congrats on taking the first step ,
    Looking forward to jumping with you

• Registered Users Posts: 511 ✭✭✭Alan b.

sadly didnt get to jump this weekend either. lashing rain and low cloud saturday. all day. then sunday morning was just as bad, so they closed, only for the skies to clear up and turn into a very nice day from about 2pm onwards. oh well, looking forward to saturday already.

• Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭DK man

Do they still use the old ex army parachutes for first time jumpers? Big and very bulky and seemed harder to steer.

I did a jump about 22 yrs ago in naas and the old gear didn't inspire much confidence.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭bog_savage

Nope all modern state of the art Javellin and Aerodyne containers with PD or Aerodyne square canopiess

Advertisement