Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Price of new Space Marines

• 01-09-2013 6:47pm
    Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,810 Mod ✭✭✭✭

I know it's been a games workshop policy for a while now to increase the prices on a lot of products but I did feel that at least a lot of the "10 plastic troops for 23€" sets and plastic characters offered some good value, but for the latest Space Marine release they seem to have really jacked up the price on everything.

Examples: New Sternguard squad, 40€ for 5 men
    New vehicle the "Hunter" costs 50€! for an upgraded Razorback essentially, but even so it's still a 4€ increase on the already overpriced Predator, Vindicator and Whirlwind models.
    The new plastic captain and librarian costs 25€ each!

Does the average GW customer really have so much money that they can justify these prices?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,909 ✭✭✭kksaints

€46 euro for a codex!? Bloody hell. Some of the prices are ridiculous. Must be some profit margins on those models.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,810 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

90 for the limited edition ones

90 for the limited edition ones

For some pieces of artwork.:eek: Anyone who buys them is an idiot.

Hope its not a future guide for prices for other armies aswell.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,329 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

kksaints wrote: »
    For some pieces of artwork.:eek: Anyone who buys them is an idiot.

Hope its not a future guide for prices for other armies aswell.
    It is; GW is upping their prices in an attempt to compensate for falling sales (which has been going on for years) and to look good for a corporate buy out (if someone is stupid enough to offer one with 3d printers etc. becoming more common).

Forgot to add; what really annoys me is that not only is the digital book the same price as the paper copy but they update the digital book with out notification (so the rules you thought you knew may have changed by the time you're showing it to the guy you're playing with).

Nody wrote: »
    It is; GW is upping their prices in an attempt to compensate for falling sales (which has been going on for years) and to look good for a corporate buy out (if someone is stupid enough to offer one with 3d printers etc. becoming more common).

Forgot to add; what really annoys me is that not only is the digital book the same price as the paper copy but they update the digital book with out notification (so the rules you thought you knew may have changed by the time you're showing it to the guy you're playing with).

Damn. Thought it might be a one off because the space marines are the most popular army.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

When I walked into a GW shop and was told it'd be €17.50 for a single Necron Lord in a blister, I nearly punched the guy in the face and said "frak this" to GW miniature gaming. I think that was about 7 years ago.

The business practices of GW leave a lot to be desired. Every new codex seems to make that particular army WAY OP so all the serious tournament players all switch to that army (I've seen it at Cons where they're all playing the latest codex army). 3D printing will wipe the floor with their model business, but if they dropped Citadel and stuck with producing the content and rulesets then they'll be grand. Black Library I'd imagine is doing rather well for them (Horus Heresey alone is probably the most successful thing they do atm).

Nody wrote: »

Only GW would make all the army books hardback and justify an extra 50% price increase because of printing costs, then a year later charge the hardback price for digital content.

FacePalmMarine.jpg

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,329 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

Shiminay wrote: »
    3D printing will wipe the floor with their model business, but if they dropped Citadel and stuck with producing the content and rulesets then they'll be grand. Black Library I'd imagine is doing rather well for them (Horus Heresey alone is probably the most successful thing they do atm).
    GW keep on insisting they are a model company; not a game company (hence why they can ignore their own rules being utterly inconsistent and/or not agree and suggest you roll a dice to decide which rule will be used).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,308 ✭✭✭quozl

There are plenty of other good and much cheaper games out there.

15mm sci-fi is dirt cheap and Tomorrow's War or Gruntz are good rule-sets for it.

Moderns (Ambush Alley) or WWII(Battlegroup Kursk/Overlord/FoTR) in 20mm or even 15mm - plastic soldier company, peter pig, etc.

6mm stuff - battlegroup, blitzkrieg commander, future war commander.

28mm medieval like SAGA using cheap plastics (gripping beasts) or metals.

If you're sticking with GW then you know what you're in for. On the plus side, you probably really like their games or else it's unlikely you'd have stuck with them to this price point!

I have switch to 1/72 almost completely now, it's great spending 8€ on a box of 50 something figures and then to back that up with some 4€ 1/144 aircraft

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 800 ✭✭✭a fat guy

I suggest you guys read this: http://masterminis.blogspot.de/2013/08/the-future-of-games-days-games-workshop.html

A lot of it makes sense and I think that the company is finally going to have to get its act together in the near future.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

That's a very good read, guy's done his homework, talks a lot of sense and has a sufficiently knowledgeable business background to lend his opinion a lot of credibility. Thanks for posting it :)

• Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭Rael

Hey folks,

Just wanted to check with the mods first. I'm selling my Space Marine collection on eBay at the moment. 99% of items are new and still in box or blister and still sealed. All models are current sculpts and are not Finecast.

Please let me know if it's okay to post my link here, some Boardsies might get a bargain.

Rael

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 800 ✭✭✭a fat guy

Rael wrote: »
    Hey folks,

Just wanted to check with the mods first. I'm selling my Space Marine collection on eBay at the moment. 99% of items are new and still in box or blister and still sealed. All models are current sculpts and are not Finecast.

Please let me know if it's okay to post my link here, some Boardsies might get a bargain.

Rael

I think they only allow you to advertise on adverts.ie on here lad.

After that you can mention it here, or just send people PM's with the link (I think).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,257 ✭✭✭hairyheretic

Correct. There's a thread at the top of the forum where you can put the link

Advertisement