Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Last Hedge Cut of year?

• 01-09-2013 7:07pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,810 ✭✭✭

Should I be doing my final hedge cut of the year about now. Or does it depend on the species of hedge and/or vagaries of the weather. I can't remember whether I did my final cut last year end of August or September. Anyway, whenever it was, was perfect timing. There was just enough growing season left for the bare patches from electric hedge cutter mistakes to green in again but not enough for the hedge to grow out past the wall line again. The perfect lines were maintained till the growing season started again this year in........May :D :rolleyes:

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,834 ✭✭✭Sonnenblumen

September would be good but I sense you'd be lucky if it were to be the final cut given the unusual weather we've enjoyed this year;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 931 ✭✭✭periodictable

With griselinea hedging, I'd do it now and let it heal in the last couple of weeks of growth. Most griselineas that were killed in the recent cold winters were in trimmed hedges-too much exposed cut surfaces that allowed the insides of the plant to freeze.

Advertisement