Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What age did your son/ daughter move out of a high chair?

• 01-09-2013 7:47pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,088 ✭✭✭

Just wondering what age people do this at?
    I know some people with a 2.5yo still in a high chair, and I've also heard of people with 14mo already on a booster seat.

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,962 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

A booster seat at a table or in a car?
    I think mine finished in their high chairs around 24 months.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭2xj3hplqgsbkym

My 3 year old still sits in his high chair for breakfast, and watches tv. I think this evolved as it is easier for him to eat his weetabix/ porridge in it without spilling it all over himself and I can tidy up without him running around.
    For every other meal he sits on normal kitchen chair at table.
    Is this terrible?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭2xj3hplqgsbkym

My 3 year old still sits in his high chair for breakfast, and watches tv. I think this evolved as it is easier for him to eat his weetabix/ porridge in it without spilling it all over himself and I can tidy up without him running around.
    For every other meal he sits on normal kitchen chair at table.
    Is this terrible?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 451 ✭✭LilMrsDahamsta

Our fella wouldn't stay in it beyond about 14/15 months, and he'd been complaining about it before that but I persisted. We got him one of the extra high kids chairs from Ikea (like a bar stool, but has a kid-size seat) and he's been using that since. I can't imagine how you'd even get a three year old into ours, not to mind keep them in it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,937 ✭✭✭implausible

My 16 month old is out of the high chair since before she was 1. I hated the bloody thing and the space it takes up, so put her in this booster seat:
    1%20swing%20tray%20booster-500x500.jpg

She loves being at the table like her older brother. It can be messy, but it's worse cleaning food out the crevices of a high chair.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,816 ✭✭✭Suucee

I have one of those booster seats for nans house but my 16 month old in the high chair at home. In fairness though space isnt an issue, and it fits right up to the table so its like she is sitting with us. She has no problem gettin in to it. In fact if she see's the plates coming she she runs to it and starts shouting to be lifted in. (Loves her grub).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

Depends on the highchair. We have the bloom loft chair, goes from newborn to age 5, with a few modes. We still use it for all meals. Age 2.5. Am building a windowseat bench at the moment so she can use that when next baby takes over the highchair in a few months.

My mums is a more traditional one, and she doesn't fit in it anymore, sits on a bench instead.

She uses a booster at MIL's house.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,339 ✭✭✭How Strange

We had a high chair from mothercare which attached to an ordinary chair. He was out of that around 2yrs and we're now using a travel booster seat.

He just got too big for the high chair and he also wanted to eat at the table with us. He couldn't really do that in the high chair.

• Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭c07

Think it would have been around the 20mth mark here. We tried booster seats and they kept leaning to the sides so much that I thought it was more dangerous keeping them in them than on regular seats.

• Registered Users Posts: 752 ✭✭✭Xdancer

My 21 month old is still in her highchair and loves it. I can set it so she is sitting at the table with us though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,722 ✭✭✭silly

My son is 13 months old and he sits in both booster and high chair - depends on if we are all eating at the same time or not - rare enough in our house.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭Oral Slang

I tried a booster with my daughter a few weeks ago (she's 22.5 months). She sat in it for 1 day & then refused to since & wanted her highchair.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,242 ✭✭✭liliq

We started using the booster seat at around 16 months, by around 19 months he was completely done with the high chair.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 465 ✭✭Chocolate fiend

We just recently bought a Stokke Tripp Trapp for our 18 month old Daughter. She was in an Ikea highchair and she didn't like it much. This chair will do her until she is an adult. She loves it, she sits in it for all her meals and also for any drawing or colouring that she does during the day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,916 ✭✭✭✭iguana

We just started with a booster seat and never bothered with a high chair.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 10,439 Mod ✭✭✭✭xzanti

My Son is 3 in December and I still usually put him in the highchair for his meals, but it's on the low setting, if that makes any sense.. so he's down at floor level..

We also have one of these....
    1%20swing%20tray%20booster-500x500.jpg

for family meals at the table, as he's simply not big enough to reach the table without it..

I'd imagine they'll just be phased out over the next few months when he's tall enough..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 984 ✭✭✭NextSteps

We have a Tripp Trapp and my 2.5year old is in it and will be for a few more years I'd say. But he can climb in himself so its not really a high chair.

Advertisement