Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

First Year UCC Students 2013-2014

13»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 124 ✭✭maughantourig

Hector122 wrote: »
    well anyone been out down i cork yet? where are the good spots to head? :P
    Savoy (nightclub) is class :D
    The Rock is a pub on college road. Nice place to go to with a few friends.
    The Washington inn and I think a pub called Bob Fox are both right next to deans hall if that applies to you.
    That's all I've been to so far :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 58 ✭✭Hector122

savoy admission fee much? i heard good things about the rock and a place called havana browns also?

• Registered Users Posts: 26 KingaC1401

well anyone been out down i cork yet? where are the good spots to head? :P

I've been to Old Oak once there a few weeks ago and I must say it was a pretty good night:)

savoy admission fee much? i heard good things about the rock and a place called havana browns also?
    As far as I remember, Savoy was about €8 on a Thursday night and €2 to use the cloakroom.

Also I got free redbull! Don't know if that's normal there or whether the barman forgot to take the money :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 58 ✭✭Hector122

is the savoy beside easons or am i mistaken? i see no place for a nightclub there especially a large one at that? haha

• Advertisement

Im not great with directions but its somewhere in Patrick Street :D

And yes it's pretty big, especially compared to anything we have in Kerry :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 3 D.Millar

KingaC1401 wrote: »
    Ill see you in them so! Yes i looked at the timetable but i have no idea where my lectures are going to be haha, i had my orientation today too it was such a long day! there is actually alot of mature students in first year well from what i saw today anyway and 23 is not even that old!:)

It's so long!! I'm sure 99% of what we were told has already gone in one ear and out the other. I didn't think 23 was that old either, however some of the guys in my group kept calling me Mam! Bullying on the first day! haha :)

I THINK i've got the timetable sussed so if you want before monday pm me and we can see if it matches up! :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,886 ✭✭✭_rebelkid

The thing I like about the mature students is that they will ask the practical questions; cost, timings, people to talk to etc. Then there's the rest of us young'ns completely disinterested in what's going on :)

That's what real life experience will give you, common sense :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,753 ✭✭✭CZ 453

Do they still do the student travel card in registration?What other goodies were people given?

shezer wrote: »
    Do they still do the student travel card in registration?What other goodies were people given?

Not the travel card, but your Student ID.

The Students Union give you a big bag of booklets, a capri sun, a crunchie, wrist band and wallet size bottle opener. Next table is a diary and condom. Then it's tickets for the disorientation party and the freshers ball; they'll explain it to you like 5 times. Then it's the Bank of Ireland; sign up and get free stuff.

Just see what you can get from people, they're uber excited to see you :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,940 ✭✭✭Corkfeen

D.Millar wrote: »
    It's so long!! I'm sure 99% of what we were told has already gone in one ear and out the other. I didn't think 23 was that old either, however some of the guys in my group kept calling me Mam! Bullying on the first day! haha :)

I THINK i've got the timetable sussed so if you want before monday pm me and we can see if it matches up! :)

Was plenty of people in my Arts course that were well over 23. Mam comments was hyperactive people and first day jitters I'd suspect. You won't feel out of place in the course. Enjoy!

_rebelkid wrote: »
    Not the travel card, but your Student ID.

The Students Union give you a big bag of booklets, a capri sun, a crunchie, wrist band and wallet size bottle opener. Next table is a diary and condom. Then it's tickets for the disorientation party and the freshers ball; they'll explain it to you like 5 times. Then it's the Bank of Ireland; sign up and get free stuff.

Just see what you can get from people, they're uber excited to see you :)

I don't have a registration day. I'm technically a repeat(illness). They used to sell people discount cards and the travel card. Were they selling tickets for the disorientation party or is it free?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 719 ✭✭✭calnand

The travelcard is free if you sign up to an aib student account. The disorientation party is €7, freshers ball is €10 or €15 if you buy both.

shezer wrote: »
    I don't have a registration day. I'm technically a repeat(illness). They used to sell people discount cards and the travel card. Were they selling tickets for the disorientation party or is it free?

You can get them in the Student centre, ^^ prices above me :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6 shellyh1

Is anyone here doing English for arts? I can't find the timetable for it anywhere but I have my other 3 subjects found :/

• Registered Users Posts: 3 D.Millar

shellyh1 wrote: »
    Is anyone here doing English for arts? I can't find the timetable for it anywhere but I have my other 3 subjects found :/

Hi, I'm doing english too and was trying to figure it all out from the separate module timetables. I stumbled across this last night!

http://www.ucc.ie/en/cacsss/ug/incoming/

Under first year timetables there is a "first day lecture" list and also a first year arts timetable for the first term (i don't know if it's the full year)

After working mine out the hard way i found that, most of it correlates. I'm not 100% but i'm sure there's lots of people working from the one in the link!

• Registered Users Posts: 6 shellyh1

oh ok thank you :)

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 15,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭rebel girl 15

To anyone who hasn't had their orientation day yet, it is an extremely long day, so wear comfortable and strong shoes.

Had mine today, 9 bloody hours. :)

What were ye doing for 9 hours?????

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 15,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭rebel girl 15

The thing I like about the mature students is that they will ask the practical questions; cost, timings, people to talk to etc. Then there's the rest of us young'ns completely disinterested in what's going on :)

To be fair, a number of questions asked by certain mature students are ridiculous at times, but that ends up giving all mature students a bad name!!

About a quarter of my course were mature students, ranging in age from 23-48, so you will find plenty to fit in with. Think there is a mature students group as well, that gives additional support!

shellyh1 wrote: »

Wait until your first lecture - the timetable is split at times into two different places, and different times of lectures, simply because the module is so big. Imagine Boole 3 full of people, with another 40 or 50 people standing - I'd wait until you are actually started the coursae before looking at certain timetables!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37 NiaBlack

Haven't properly been on this site in ages but thought I'd pop in because aaaaaah classes start on Monday! I was originally doing Arts but got a Round 3 offer today for Film and Screen Media so I'm really excited! It's nice to get my first choice for once. I'm really worried I might now have a timetable clash with German though =/ I'm not sure what other language I want to do in place of that as I'm only really interested in German? And I want to do it for the full 3 years as well... Hopefully it'll work out... Does anyone know how that might work out?? The timetable is too confusing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40 Giving it holly

Looking for to starting in Computer Science tomorrow. Will be starting off with Calculus at 11 O'Clock. Do we have to sign in for every class or have they some kind of role call to keep tabs on the classes that you attend??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,160 ✭✭✭Eurovisionmad

Looking for to starting in Computer Science tomorrow. Will be starting off with Calculus at 11 O'Clock. Do we have to sign in for every class or have they some kind of role call to keep tabs on the classes that you attend??

As far as I'm aware generally not, some lecturers like to keep attendance others don't bother.

I think tutorials take attendance. I've never heard of attendance taken in UCC. I know they do it in CIT

I think we just turn up. Some of the 5/10 credit modules do take attendance, but the rest depend on the lecturer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 943 ✭✭✭Addmagnet

Calculus at 11:00 for me too :)

• Registered Users Posts: 16 outrageous

Soooooooooooo, College aye?

Advertisement