Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How do I encourage my 5 year old? Should I?

Options
  • 01-09-2013 8:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,695 ✭✭✭

My 5 year old loves watching YouTube clips about the solar system.

We started watching Cmmdr Hatfields clips and then looked for more videos.

She can't read yet so is limited in what we watch - we mainly research the solar system songs, comparative sizes of stars videos, and if I see something to suit her age we watch it, like NASA video for kids about Pluto.

Is this just a normal thing for kids or should I encourage it (don't want to spend money I don't have on a fad), but I'd love to encourage a genuine interest.

What can or should I do?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,484 ✭✭✭username123

First of all - definitely encourage it!!

You can take an interest in Astronomy and space without spending any money - or by spending a very low amount of money.

Download Stellarium, its freeware, and you can learn and show your child various stars, planets, constellations etc..

Sometimes LIDL do a particular pair of binoculars for 20 euro - they are perfect for amateur observations.

Im sure if you have a look on ebay or amazon you will get some cool childrens star charts/space posters for colouring in pretty cheap.

Heres a cool video you can show her that illustrates the phases and libration of the moon (moon wobble).

And if you have an ipad/android phone - there are lots of free apps that have interesting astronomical stuff. Youtube is also your friend, and NASAs website.

Its great to hear of a child with an interest in the universe!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,695 ✭✭✭December2012

Thanks,

I know nothing about astronomy myself - just what we are learning together.

Is stellarium an app? I've an iPad and iPhone.

You can get Stellarium as an app, but you have to pay for it (its not much) - its actually brilliant on an ipad because you can hold the ipad up at the sky and it resolves the pitch/yaw/direction etc so what you look at on screen is whats on the sky behind where you are pointing the ipad - hard to describe!!

But its free for the pc. I have it on the pc, ipad and android phone - I think it was only like 2 dollars for the ipad.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,893 ✭✭✭Kersh

+1 on Stellarium and the app. Great app, particularly out under the stars.

Even just pointing stuff out will keep the interest.

• Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭jumpjack

I like children interested on science, but I really don't like suggested videos at the end of any youtube videos and children left alone in front of a PC monitor.
    A book with plenty of space pictures would be much better for a 5yo, especially if you can find one where he can paint shapes or build something.
    I also suggest looking for "paper models" or "card models"; some are quite tricky to build, but some are easier, and in any case you could help him with the building.
    And while you build a space-related model you learn a lot of things about how it works.
    I think I saw somewhere a simplified card model of International Space Station for children, some months ago.

• Advertisement

Any books you can recommend? She can't read yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,222 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

Any books you can recommend? She can't read yet.

This is a great little book I got for my daughter:

eight spinning planets

I've also made some papier mache planets which are great for kids as they love a bit of messy art. papier mache planets.

• Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭jumpjack

www.google.com/m?q=eyewitness%20book%20space&client=ms-opera-mobile&channel=new

These books are amazing even if you can't read!

She'll get in hurry for learning how to read once she sees one of them. :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 413 ✭✭MeteoritesEire

PM me please if you are interested in getting a meteorite for your daughter.I would love to send one for her.Free of course

I'm glad I posted here - I thought you might think I was being a tiger mom or some pushy parent. I'm glad to see I'm not the only one with a (for now at least) scientifically interested child!

• Advertisement

I think everyone posting here was once a scientifically interested child :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 235 ✭✭Username99

Just talk to her informally about it first, after a while she will start to come back to you with questions, answer them as best you can, include youtube videos etc.. Do not push it too much or she will get turned off the subject. That seems to have worked with my daughter anyway but as always everyone is different. Be observant and do not be afraid to try different approaches to teaching.

• Registered Users Posts: 469 ✭✭nuttyboy79

If you are anyway near Sandymount bring her along to the Sidewalk astronomers night on the 13th of this month, both of you can have a look through any of the telescopes that will be there. I have a 6 year old and he loves seeing the moon through my scope.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,680 ✭✭✭Stargate

We started watching Cmmdr Hatfields clips and then looked for more videos.

She can't read yet so is limited in what we watch - we mainly research the solar system songs, comparative sizes of stars videos, and if I see something to suit her age we watch it, like NASA video for kids about Pluto.

Is this just a normal thing for kids or should I encourage it (don't want to spend money I don't have on a fad), but I'd love to encourage a genuine interest.

What can or should I do?

Just wondering how your daughter is getting along ?

Stargate

I got her a poster for her room about the planets and she's interested in it.

It has been a bit hectic with the start of school and other activities coming back.

She wants me to read the poster to her again tonight.

She also seems to love anatomy.

Just to clarify to another poster - she's not looking at anything by herself. She's doing it with me or beside me.

I wish I was better at science myself!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,898 ✭✭✭✭Ken.

May I suggest the following software for you December2012. Its absolutely fantastic for anyone interested in space or astronomy. http://www.majorgeeks.com/files/details/microsoft_worldwide_telescope.html

I've had this for over a year on my computer and you can get lost in it looking at stuff.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,250 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

As silly as this might sound after the great suggestions above, don't underestimate the effects good child-friendly sci-fi will have on a young mind. I have no doubt my interest in the space as an adult partly stems in at least some way from seeing the likes of E.T., Star Wars, Flight of the Navigator, The Last Starfighter etc as a kid :D

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

My son (also 5) is starting to take an interest. He has told me he wants a telescope now.

Recently I was in the Imaginarium shop in the Pavillions in Swords and they have a section catering for young astronomers.

http://www.imaginarium.ie/toys/nature-science-children/esa-astronomy-396.htm

I'm going to bring the boy in there some day with a view to getting the Esa Telescope and stickers....but ultimately, I'll guage his interest with the telescope before making the purchase.

• Registered Users Posts: 393 ✭✭Nerro

Boom_Bap wrote: »
    I'm going to bring the boy in there some day with a view to getting the Esa Telescope and stickers....

I would probably stay away from the telescopes that they have.More than likely it wil be more of a frustation than a joy in using them.You would be amazed what can you see with a nice pair of binos on a tripod...plenty to chosse on adverts if you dont have the budget.

Nerro wrote: »
    I would probably stay away from the telescopes that they have.More than likely it wil be more of a frustation than a joy in using them.You would be amazed what can you see with a nice pair of binos on a tripod...plenty to chosse on adverts if you dont have the budget.

+1

LIDL periodically do a great pair of 10x50 binoculars for 20 euro that are perfect for a bit of stargazing. Better than the ESA telescopes I'd reckon.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

Cheers, I guess it's the fact that I never had a telescope growing up, and always wanted one that is leaning me in that direction.

But a pair of binocularswould come in handy for plane watching at the airport as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,680 ✭✭✭Stargate

Nerro wrote: »

I couldn't agree more with Nerro !

Best start off with a pair of binos as a first step. Even the cheap toy telescopes will not match what you will see in binos. People think " telescope " and automatically assume they will see NASA type images with their purchase , only to be totally disappointed . For a kid , it could be make the world of difference between holding their interest or being bored/disappointed with their "first scope "

Lots of great ideas posted about ... but fair dews to you December2012 for taking the time and effort for your daughter ;)

Regards
    Stargate

nuttyboy79 wrote: »
    If you are anyway near Sandymount bring her along to the Sidewalk astronomers night on the 13th of this month, both of you can have a look through any of the telescopes that will be there. I have a 6 year old and he loves seeing the moon through my scope.

I wish I'd seen this post in time!

• Registered Users Posts: 393 ✭✭Nerro

These events are held more or less once a month.For more info check IFAS page
    http://www.irishastronomy.org/
    If the weather is good someone usually organizes one in Sandymount or at Sugar Loaf.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,029 ✭✭✭Rhys Essien

OP,if you are ever down south of the country,you could take your kid here.Very popular with school tours.All things Space,Astronomy etc.

http://www.bco.ie/

OP,if you are ever down south of the country,you could take your kid here.Very popular with school tours.All things Space,Astronomy etc.

http://www.bco.ie/

Oh my God that is EXACTLY what she would love (and me too - it looks like a great place with summer camps too).

I wish there was something like that in Dublin!

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭SolitaireX

If you don't have it already download google earth, there's a button to change from viewing the earth to the moon, mars and sky, not sure how good they are but they seem kind of interesting.

• Registered Users Posts: 469 ✭✭nuttyboy79

http://irishastrosoc.org/wp/

The dates are up on that website. The next one is Friday Oct. 11th from around 8:00pm.

came across these today, thought they were a bit of fun for kids, ( as well as big people :P )

http://www.etsy.com/ie/listing/115774396/the-original-solar-system-lollipops-tm

• Advertisement

So my now 6 year old is still interested in science and astronomy and she's asking for this girl her upcoming birthday http://www.imaginarium.ie/tripod-telescope-esa-telescope-47976.htm.

But I seem to recall that you guys think these aren't great?

Can anybody recommend a good set of binoculars (about 30€) presently on sale in Dublin? I should add that we live in a housing estate and there's lots of street lights at night time.

Advertisement