Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How do I encourage my 5 year old? Should I?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 393 ✭✭Nerro

So my now 6 year old is still interested in science and astronomy and she's asking for this girl her upcoming birthday http://www.imaginarium.ie/tripod-telescope-esa-telescope-47976.htm.

But I seem to recall that you guys think these aren't great?

Can anybody recommend a good set of binoculars (about 30€) presently on sale in Dublin? I should add that we live in a housing estate and there's lots of street lights at night time.
    Yes that telescope will be more of a frustration than a joy to use...there are cheap but quite good binoculars for sale in aldi or lidl. Don't know if they have them now but worth keeping an eye. Or you can always look on adverts for second hand ones?
    P.S. make sure that you have a tripod an an adapter for them as well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 318 ✭✭Not2Good

A pair of 8x 40 binoculars but I know they want to see Saturn's rings (so do I!) but a full moon can be great for starting children's interest

• Registered Users Posts: 393 ✭✭Nerro

Not2Good wrote: »
    A pair of 8x 40 binoculars but I know they want to see Saturn's rings (so do I!) but a full moon can be great for starting children's interest

Full moon is the worst time to look at it or anywhere else...all the detail will be washed out and if you try to look at deep sky objects they would be lost to its light as well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 318 ✭✭Not2Good

Nerro wrote: »
    Full moon is the worst time to look at it or anywhere else...all the detail will be washed out and if you try to look at deep sky objects they would be lost to its light as well.
    Yes for anyone over 6 but it is a very easy target for a young child to point their binos at.. yeah your right and the details of craters etc are great for next moon watch....

Advertisement