Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Top 10 SNES Games

Options

Comments

o1s1n wrote: »
    Megaman X seems to be getting a lot of love. Is it really that good?

I think it's very good, but its easy to see how someone coming at it for the first time might be a bit 'meh' about it. It's one of those games that influenced a lot of games that came after it to the point where a lot of its ideas became standard fare in similar games in the following years, but they were actually pretty new when they were first seen. Like comparing halo 1 to call of duty 17 or whatever...

I like that it credits the player with some intelligence, which was kinda rare back in an era where games came with actual instruction manuals. Here's an interesting video If you've got 20 mins.

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=8FpigqfcvlM&desktop_uri=%2Fwatch%3Fv%3D8FpigqfcvlM

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,251 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Megaman X is absolutely superb.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,447 ✭✭✭richymcdermott

Megaman x is amazing but **** that
    metal spider

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 75 ✭✭gavingaz

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Megaman X is absolutely superb.

Do you lik the other Megamam games? I thought X was great fun

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,251 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

gavingaz wrote: »
    Do you lik the other Megamam games? I thought X was great fun

Huge megaman fan. The later original series and X games were a bit meh though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 595 ✭✭✭ElvisChrist6

Lost Vikings 2
    Earthworm Jim
    Super Star Wars
    Zelda: A Link to the Past
    Street Fighter 2 (Though it's really hard to decide between this or MK2 for me)
    Donkey Kong Country
    F-Zero
    Spiderman & Venom: Maximum Carnage
    Starwing
    Mickey Mania

Honourable mentions: Alien 3 and Secret of Evermore

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 3,182 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dr Bob

hmm you know I was trying to think of 10 snes games that didnt have meg releases and that I liked and you know I dont think I can name that many..

Shadowrun
    SFII
    Zelda LTTP
    Castlevania IV
    Final Fantasy IV
    MariokArt
    Stunt Race FX
    Batman Returns
    Earthbound

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,364 Mod ✭✭✭✭Andrew76

Dr Bob wrote: »
    hmm you know I was trying to think of 10 snes games that didnt have meg releases and that I liked and you know I dont think I can name that many..

Shadowrun
    SFII
    Zelda LTTP
    Castlevania IV
    Final Fantasy IV
    MariokArt
    Stunt Race FX
    Batman Returns
    Earthbound

You didn't like Super Metroid or Mario World? :confused:

A few other excellent games not mentioned above would be Super Tennis, Super Punch-Out, Actraiser and Plok.

Andrew76 wrote: »
    You didn't like Super Metroid or Mario World? :confused:

A few other excellent games not mentioned above would be Super Tennis, Super Punch-Out, Actraiser and Plok.

Pretty much..mario games never did it for me ..and never got into metroid..ironic since I love the gba/ds/sotn castlevania games...

• Registered Users Posts: 34,813 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

I wasn't Mario fan for years and only played Super Metroid for the first time about three years ago. Something just clicked in my brain! :)

Whatever about Mario, you will definitely like Super Metroid if you're into Sci Fi.

• Advertisement

Pretty much..mario games never did it for me ..and never got into metroid..ironic since I love the gba/ds/sotn castlevania games...
    o1s1n wrote: »
    I wasn't Mario fan for years and only played Super Metroid for the first time about three years ago. Something just clicked in my brain! :)

Whatever about Mario, you will definitely like Super Metroid if you're into Sci Fi.

Not liking Mario games - is/was that because you both grew up with Sega consoles rather than Nintendo and just never got to play them? Or you genuinely don't find Mario platformers fun/good? The latter is hard to compute though. :)

Hard to compute? I find the easiest explanation is a lack of a soul :P

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,583 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Mario and most of Nintendos output seems to represent possibly the best ongoing attention to the "craft" of making videogames.
    I know there have been misfires, and this sounds like the most fanboi thing I've ever typed, but I find their games have so much care and attention, a lack of simple money grabbing, feature creeping exercises a lot of Sony and MS's output has been.
    No, it's definitely my internal fanboi crying out!

Hard to compute? I find the easiest explanation is a lack of a soul :P

I was trying to be diplomatic. :pac:

Maybe its because I had very little exposure to Nintendo stuff as a kid (atari8-C64-Megadrive/SMS-Pc)
    Its probably the reason I own about 3 SNES carts and most of my NES collection is 3rd party!
    I just dont enjoy the the mario games.( I was testing a vid capture card last week and used super mario world..turned it off after about 2 mins play).
    SMB is ok , but they just dont do it for me .
    Plus the whole cult of Mario("you must like mario, everyone loves mario") annoys me.

I must go back and give super meteroid a fair crack of the whip though.
    If there was a megadrive version of this thread I could probably name at least 20 must have (for me) megadrive games..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

I wouldn't be a huge fan of all things Mario myself, but give SMW a proper play through Bob, it's an exceptional game

You need to give SMW a hell of a lot more time. It opens up after the first world and once it's done introducing the basics to you it goes wild implementing on it.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,583 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

I don't think anyone has to love a game or a character, but certainly one can appreciate the game overall, and the genius of it.
    I can appreciate rpgs, I just don't happen to enjoy spending vast amounts of time with them, doesn't mean I can't appreciate the likes of the Persona series and so on.
    Mario games, specifically the SMB series, is simply revelation after revelation with so much inventiveness in each title, you don't have to personally enjoy them but you can appreciate the effort that has been sunk into each one.

Master of the Universe

Andrew76 wrote: »
    Not liking Mario games - is/was that because you both grew up with Sega consoles rather than Nintendo and just never got to play them? Or you genuinely don't find Mario platformers fun/good? The latter is hard to compute though. :)

Don't get me wrong, I love them now :) Played Mario and Mario 3 a lot on the NES when they were out, then Super Mario World...but found the series lost it's way when it went 3D. I didn't enjoy it at all until Galaxy came out.

Mario franchise aside, Super Mario World is one of, if not, the best platformer ever made. It's just that good.

Master of the Universe

If there was a megadrive version of this thread I could probably name at least 20 must have (for me) megadrive games..

Only 20?! :pac:

• Advertisement

Yep, there's genres I don't like but I can usually tell if a game is good but not for me. Except Football games. I'm not sure how people get enjoyment out of them. NFL, NHL, even Baseball games I can see how the mechanics work and can appreciate them but outside of arcady affairs like ISS and Sensible Soccer I just don't get the likes of Fifa and Pro Evo.

Master of the Universe

I'll go one further - American football games. /Shudder

• Registered Users Posts: 2,585 ✭✭✭smilerf

Rock N Roll Racing
    Super Mario Allstars
    SF 2 Turbo
    ISS
    Plok
    Donkey Kong Country
    Zombies Ate My Neighbours
    Killer Instinct
    Sunset Riders
    Earthworm Jim 2

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭mickser42

super mario world
    bomberman
    donkey kong country 2
    jungle strike
    chopper ???? the one with the helicopter
    mario kart
    tetris and dr mario
    super mario all stars
    kirby
    street fighter 2

mickser42 wrote: »
    super mario world
    bomberman
    donkey kong country 2
    jungle strike
    chopper ???? the one with the helicopter
    mario kart
    tetris and dr mario
    super mario all stars
    kirby
    street fighter 2

Is it Choplifter 3 you're thinking of?

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭mickser42

think thats the one .... many hours of late night fun on that game

• Registered Users Posts: 10,551 ✭✭✭✭OwaynOTT

Fzero is not getting enough love around this thread.
    Great graphics
    Amazing songs
    Great gameplay

Just plain old great.

Master of the Universe

For me, F Zero and Mario Kart were fantastic when they came out but haven't really stood the test of time. I just can't stomach mode 7 racers anymore! :(

• Site Banned Posts: 2,094 ✭✭✭BMMachine

cybernator definitely deserves more love :)

mine:
    Crono Trigger
    Secret of Mana
    Super Metroid
    Zelda ALTTP
    Cybernator
    Super Mario World
    Aladdin
    Zombies Ate My Neighbours
    Megaman X
    Super Mario Kart

honourable mentions - Starwing, Donkey Kong Country, Killer Instinct, Street Fighter 2: World Warrior

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,750 ✭✭✭ghostchant

Yep, there's genres I don't like but I can usually tell if a game is good but not for me. Except Football games. I'm not sure how people get enjoyment out of them. NFL, NHL, even Baseball games I can see how the mechanics work and can appreciate them but outside of arcady affairs like ISS and Sensible Soccer I just don't get the likes of Fifa and Pro Evo.

I dabble with FIFA/PES when playing with my brother but that's it. Had a great time playing PES in Tokyo the last couple of years though, arcade near where I was staying didn't have a huge selection, but had networked Pro Evo/Winning Eleven cabs.

Beating a random guy in an arcade in Hokkaido at 3am who is obviously better than you with a dodgy deflected goal in the last minute is hugely satisfying...mainly because it's the only match I actually won over there :o

Advertisement