Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

WiFi Router to Fix Horrible UPC Horizon TV

Options
  • 01-09-2013 8:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,345 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I'm looking for a good respectably priced WiFi router to boost the signal coming from my UPC Horizon TV box which is deplorable. Disappointed I missed out on the recent N300 Bargain Alert.

I'd really appreciate if anybody had any suggestions?

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,677 ✭✭✭Officer Giggles

Kavrocks wrote: »
    Hi,

I'm looking for a good respectably priced WiFi router to boost the signal coming from my UPC Horizon TV box which is deplorable. Disappointed I missed out on the recent N300 Bargain Alert.

I'd really appreciate if anybody had any suggestions?

Thanks.

I had the same problem so I rang UPC and told them to send me out a new router free of charge because the signal from the Horizon box is non existent. I wasn't going paying to fix something that's their fault. I still have Horizon for the tv but now I'm back to everything seperately.

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭rog871

I had the same problem so I rang UPC and told them to send me out a new router free of charge because the signal from the Horizon box is non existent. I wasn't going paying to fix something that's their fault. I still have Horizon for the tv but now I'm back to everything seperately.

Hi Giggles,

Having similar issues:(. Just wondering did they send you the Cisco EPC3925 router?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

Ring UPC...tell them you are fed up with the crap/shyte horizon service from them.

Tell them to take it back and that you are moving to Sky or back to Eircom...at least they are reliable.

Then watch UPC jump up to solve your problem for you and keep you as a customer.

Dont pay out for a problem that is not your fault or making.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,345 ✭✭✭Kavrocks

paddy147 wrote: »
    Ring UPC...tell them you are fed up with the crap/shyte horizon service from them.

Tell them to take it back and that you are moving to Sky or back to Eircom...at least they are reliable.

Then watch UPC jump up to solve your problem for you and keep you as a customer.

Dont pay out for a problem that is not your fault or making.
    Thanks for the advice.

I tried that all they did was mess around with the modem and frankly its worse now than the settings I had previously used.

Going to have to try again I suppose.

rog871 wrote: »
    Hi Giggles,

Having similar issues:(. Just wondering did they send you the Cisco EPC3925 router?

No I got a Technicolor TC7200U, think they the new name for Thompson.

Did a quick search there and found a thread on it that's been going since May

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056950728

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭p_o_s_t_y

Hi I am having the same problem,wifi upstairs is terrible,it's really slow or non existent,if I turn off the wifi on my phone and turn it back on it works ok for awhile but drops off again soon after,what a nightmare!!

p_o_s_t_y wrote: »
    Hi I am having the same problem,wifi upstairs is terrible,it's really slow or non existent,if I turn off the wifi on my phone and turn it back on it works ok for awhile but drops off again soon after,what a nightmare!!

The only reason I got the horizon box was because I was told the wifi range would be better than the standalone router, well that was a load of bull****, horizon box gave me no signal upstairs, now that I'm back to the standalone router the wifi has returned

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 66 ✭✭boarsboard

look in argos they seem to be cheaper than computer stores

• Registered Users Posts: 6 mcgee

Same problem here with you guys. my advice is to tell people stay well clear it's aload of rubbish . Should have sticking with my old upc box .told them I wasn't happy and wanted to go back to the old system . The cheek of them they want 45euro to connect me back to old way !! It curtains for upc in our house contract are no contract . On the phone to sky hope they have a better service..

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭thms.kelly

I agree no matter what I try the wifi signal is useless, one of the reasons I got horizon was to better the not so good wifi signal from the cisco router,
    the horizon signal literally wont reach the nearest room upstairs, I rang customer services they said try different channels they are all crap!!
    When I rang upc about horizon in the first place it was stated how much better than the old wifi it was going to be what a load of bull.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2 djkavanagh

very similar issue to all the above - when i connect with cable from laptop to horizon - 203 meg. when i disconnect the cable & connect via wifi - it drops to 30 to 40meg. that's taking the p!ss. I plan on resolving so I'll keep ye updated. Option 1 - connect up wifi router to see if increase in signal strength. Option 2 - wifi booster.
    If they fail - I will demand UPC reinstate my old wireless router that I had prior to horizon. I was getting 50 meg plus with this so I am worse off with 200 meg promised

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭crafty dodger

Can anyone recommend a good wifi booster which
    - will work with Horizon box (Samsung)
    - is easy to install with the Horizon box

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 279 ✭✭shaneon77

Can anyone recommend a good wifi booster which
    - will work with Horizon box (Samsung)
    - is easy to install with the Horizon box

Thanks
    bump

shaneon77 wrote: »
    bump

What is 'bump'??

• Registered Users Posts: 279 ✭✭shaneon77

What is 'bump'??

apologies,
    i also have the same problems and was bumping the thread back to the top of the forum to try get an answer on both of our behalfs.

http://www.boards.ie/ttfthread/2057126541/5

The thread link is telling us that we are not alone and suggests that we contact UPC and request "deconsolidation" of services which should entitle us to a new separate router FOC

• Registered Users Posts: 913 ✭✭✭buzzerxx

tp-link tl-wa850re €40 in d.i.d electric. works with horizon box

I got a Netgear EX6100 range extender in Currys for 99 euro
    Works a treat and set up was a piece of cake!
    All sorted now and can watch Horizon TV from any device anywhere in the house!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,862 ✭✭✭RayCon

Are you not supposed to get that as part of your service from UPC in the first place (without having to fork out on more hardware) ?

RayCon wrote: »
    Are you not supposed to get that as part of your service from UPC in the first place (without having to fork out on more hardware) ?

Yes you do get an inbuilt WiFi system with the Horizon box. However the reception was patchy in some areas of my house /garden so I needed a WiFi booster to cover all of these areas.

There are metal girders etc in my house and these are not friendly for Wifi

I could have lived (barely) with the previous service but not for streaming or TV on the iPad

• Registered Users Posts: 33 Mr.Christmas

The Horizon service for wifi is awful. Did you have to buy that yourself or did they pay for it for you?
    I don't understand why they offer such a crap service.

• Advertisement
Advertisement